Search 69,459 Camino Questions

8-day 115KM Camino at a slower pace with 1 rest day ( from Valenca)

Unweekends

American - planning 1st time Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2025
I do want to earn the Compostela. But I also want to do a more manageable and leisurely pace and not overdo it. Based on the Camino Ninja app, here is the route I plan (excludes travel days):

Day 1: Valenca to O Porrino (20 KM)
Day 2: O Porrino to Redondela (16 KM)
Day 3: Redondela to Pontevedra (21 KM)
Day 4: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (22 KM)
Day 5: Caldas to Pontecesures (16 KM)
Day 6: Pontecesures to O Faramello (15 KM)
Day 7: O Faramello to Santiago (15KM)
DAY 8: Free day in Santiago

Start May 16 - May 23, 2025. Is this a good plan? Do you have any recommendations for things to see & do in each place?

I thought I would plan shorter distances to give myself a buffer, but if it turns out that I am feeling okay going greater distances each day, then I can adjust my schedule while on the trail & use any extra days in Santiago.

EDIT: I removed the planned rest day on Day 4 in Pontevedra. I am traveling with 3 other adults, and they veto'd my plan for a rest day! It's okay, should be fine because it is going at a slower pace already.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I do want to earn the Compostela. But I also want to do a more manageable and leisurely pace and not overdo it. Based on the Camino Ninja app, here is the route I plan (excludes travel days):

Day 4: Rest day in Pontevedra ( sight-see)
Day 5: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (22 KM)
Day 6: Caldas to Pontecesures (16 KM)
Day 7: Pontecesures to O Faramello (15 KM)
Day 8: O Faramello to Santiago (15KM)
DAY 9: Free day in Santiago

Start May 16 - May 24, 2025. Is this a good plan? Do you have any recommendations for things to see & do in each place?

I thought I would plan shorter distances to give myself a buffer, but if it turns out that I am feeling okay going greater distances each day, then I can adjust my schedule while on the trail & use any extra days in Santiago.

Seems very doable. Pontevedra is a nice town but when you are there you might feel more in the mood to keep walking? So this is something to keep in mind.
On former Caminos I sometimes thought that a bigger town would give me more entertainment or things to see and in the end it were the smaller towns / villages where I took a break.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
That is very similar to the pattern I used a couple of years ago at the end of the CP (from Lisbon). I stayed in a few more 'off-stage' towns than you are planning, but with similar intent. The only suggestion that I would make is that when you get the chance, to take the alternative / complementario routes into O Porrino and Pontevedra. I have done both, and the road routes of the principal path are pretty mundane. The alternatives are well worth the short extra distances involved.

Day 4: Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis (22 KM)
Day 5: Caldas to Pontecesures (16 KM)
Day 6: Pontecesures to O Faramello (15 KM)
Day 7: O Faramello to Santiago (15KM)
DAY 8: Free day in Santiago

Start May 16 - May 23, 2025. Is this a good plan? Do you have any recommendations for things to see & do in each place?

EDIT: I removed the planned rest day on Day 4 in Pontevedra. I am traveling with 3 other adults, and they veto'd my plan for a rest day! It's okay, should be fine because it is going at a slower pace already.
I'm walking the Portuguese at the moment and doing similar distances. My only suggestion is try to fit in the Varaint Espiritual from Pontevedra taking the boat option into Padron. If you can fit it into you timeframe you should consider

I am 80 and have done this 4 times, so at my age I am usually more interested in resting than seeing things. However I usually make it from Caldas de Reis to Padron. Then next day to Milladoiro, I leave early on the last day and get into Santiago in time to check in my rucksack and get to Cathedral by 11,00 in time for midday Mass.

In Santiago I usually stay in a pilgrim room in San Martin Pinario,just opposite the North door of the Cathedral. These are tiny rooms with their own ensuite. This year the cost was 30 euro per night. .You have to book by phone, number is 0034 981 560 282. Buen Camino to you all. Lydia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is possible to do a tour of the roof of the Cathedral. The place to book is at ground level beside the complex of staircases to the main western door. If you cannot get an English tour it is well worth while taking a Spanish one. The views are wonderful. It is possible to buy a combined ticket for the roof and the Musuem. I would also recommend the tour of the Portico the Gloria. There is a Mass in English in the pilgrim office at 10.30 each morning and it is really lovely. Also up in room six you will be welcome to a cup of tea or coffee and chat. Buen Camino.Lydia

I am 80 and have done this 4 times, so at my age I am usually more interested in resting than seeing things. However I usually make it from Caldas de Reis to Padron. Then next day to Milladoiro, I leave early on the last day and get into Santiago in time to check in my rucksack and get to Cathedral by 11,00 in time for midday Mass.

In Santiago I ususlly stay in a pilgrim room in San Martin Pinario,just opposite the North door of the Cathedral. These are tiny rooms with their own ensuite. This year the cost was 23 euro.Buen Camino Lydia

I’m pleased you’ve left a full day free in Santiago.

Instead of a full rest-day, try planning a pair of short days.
Yes shorter days instead of a rest day. From Tui we walked 8 days. We enjoyed the journey, stopped at many bars, had lots of coffee. We did not rush.
Take the alternative route into Porrino. Tui to Porrino is a beautiful way. It is a long stretch and it was a long walk into Porrino to reach our accommodation.
We stayed in Pontesampaio. Crossing the old bridge from Arcade to Pontesampaio was very scenic.
To us Pontevedra was beautiful but a bit overwhelming with all the tourists (we arrived there on a Friday) Do not stay over on a weekend. Book a quiet place away from bars. Do visit the Pilgrims Sanctuary in Pontevedra and go up the tower.
Make your last day to Santiago shorter. We had 14 km to walk and it turned out to be much further. Once we arrived there we did not have the energy to explore as much as we wanted to. Stay two nights in Santiago.
Enjoy planning your trip!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...
Hi, I’m Renee and I was supposed to start my Camino Portugues today in Porto. Yesterday I arrived early in the morning, but my backpack never did. The lost&found at the airport told me to not...
Hi, We are in Villa Nova D’Arosa and I wanted to stay in the Monastery tomorrow night, but my daughter does not want to. She wants to find a place halfway so we don’t have so far to walk to...
I do want to earn the Compostela. But I also want to do a more manageable and leisurely pace and not overdo it. Based on the Camino Ninja app, here is the route I plan (excludes travel days): Day...
Unfortunately I left my Brierley guide at home. Does anyone know where one can be purchased in Porto, preferably near SAo Bento. The Livraria Lello is far too difficult to get into. Thank you
Today I lost a credit card, debit card and military ID on the Portuguese Way somewhere around Arcos Portugal.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back