Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 or 8 days from Burgos to Leon

ROjeda

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, San Salvador, Primitivo (On-going)
Hola Amigos!

I've finished the first stage of my Camino. From SJPP to Burgos this year on my own. Phenomenal! Next year I continue from Burgos to León on the Camino Frances, and then from León to Oviedo via Camino de San Salvador. My passion for the Camino goes back to 2001 when I visited a travel bookstore in Barcelona named Altaïr (don't miss it), and decided to buy my first guides of the Camino. Took me 23 years to take the first step... but I am now on my way.

As I plan the Burgos to León stage, I read in those (now old) guides, that the suggested stages are 6, as opposed to the most recent guides (A. Pombo and Brierley). And here's where I would appreciate your feedback. Based on your own experience, have you walked Burgos to León in 6 or in 8 days? What was your experience? Where did you stop?

Note that I want your experience, so as to avoid "depends" type answers (fitness, available time, health, etc.).

Finally, in the next hours I will become a Donating Member. This Forum has been an extraordinary source of information, guidance, good vibes, wit and wisdom. with the occasional exasperated member, but it's been invaluable thus far for me.

Abrazo and Buen Camino!

Rodrigo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Frances in January last year. It took me 7 days from Burgos to Leon. My overnight stops were Castrojeriz, Fromista, Carrion de los Condes, Moratinos, Bercianos, and Mansilla de las Mulas. I had planned to spend the first night in Hontanas but the hospitalero never turned up to open the place despite a phone conversation earlier in the day.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
7 stages for me between Burgos and Leon:
Hontanas, Boadilla del Camino, Carrion de los Conde, Terradillos de los Templarios, Calzadillas de los Hermanillos, and Mansilla de las Mulas. What a great walk it was across the Meseta (including a very muddy trail that day between Hornillos and Hontanas)!

We did it in 10 walking days. That includes the day getting from one side of Burgos to the other. There were a number of sick days that I haven't included in the 10. Since this took so long the places we stopped are likely of no interest to you.

Did it in 6d in 2022. Doing it that way requires some long days, but if you're up to that theres nothing that stops you from doing so.

1723578137404.png

edit: thought i took a day more in 2019, but apparently not:

1723578364517.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
7 days
Burgos to Hontanas
Boadilla
Carriön
Terradillos
El Burgo ranero
Puente Villarente
León

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi there,

in 2019 I walked Burgos to Leon in 6 days. (11th July to 16th July).

My itinary was:
Burgos -> Hornillos del Camino
Hornillos del Camino -> Itero de la Vega
Itero de la Vega -> Carrión de los Condes
Carrión de los Condes -> Terradillos de los Templarios
Terradillos de los Templarios -> Bercianos del Real Camino
Bercianos del Real Camino -> Leon

The 6 days were amazing, wouldn't stretch it to much, 7 days is comfortable and an easy walk, 8 short days are for the seasoned walker who needs the time 😂

in '18

from Burgos to

Hontanas
Fromista
Carrion de los Condes
Terradillos
Reliegos

then to Leon

Carrion is one of the few places I have stopped every Camino Frances

Last trip I walked thru Burgos from Atapuerca and also thru Leon to Oncina but most people stop in the larger cities

6 days for me, every time. Love the Meseta

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took 7 days in 2018. Destinations after Burgos were:

Hontanas (31km)
Fromista (34.2km)
Carrión los Condes (20km)
Terradillos de los Templarios (26.6km)
Bercianos del Real Camino (23.5km)
Reliegos (21km)
León (24.5km

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
9 days

Do
walk day​
time​
kms​
short walk to Tarjados183.511
walk to Hontanas195.7521
walk to Itero de la Vega20620
walk to Villalcazar de Sirga21828
walk to Caldadilla de le Cueza226.7523
walk to Sahagun236.2523
short walk to El Burgo Ranero245.2518
walk to Mansillo de las Milas256.2519
walk to Leon266.519.5

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Did this stretch in 9 days last year. I stayed on the far edge of Burgos in Hostal Campus, so that I don't have that long walk out of the city.
Hornillos - Meeting Point
Castrojeriz - Rosalia
Boadilla - Juntos
Vilacazar de Sirca - Don Camino albergue
Calzadilla de las Cueza - Albergue los Canarios
Sahagun - Hostal Alfonso VI
El Burgo Ranero - Hostal Restaurante El Peregrino
Mansila de las Mulas - Gaia
Leon - Check Inn (nice place, but right at the entrance to Leon, the Cathedral is a good 30 min. walk from here)

It took me six days, including a long last day to Leon. But I don't think I could do it without "warming up" in the first stretch between SJPDP and Burgos.... :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Amigos!

I've finished the first stage of my Camino. From SJPP to Burgos this year on my own. Phenomenal! Next year I continue from Burgos to León on the Camino Frances, and then from León to Oviedo via Camino de San Salvador. My passion for the Camino goes back to 2001 when I visited a travel bookstore in Barcelona named Altaïr (don't miss it), and decided to buy my first guides of the Camino. Took me 23 years to take the first step... but I am now on my way.

As I plan the Burgos to León stage, I read in those (now old) guides, that the suggested stages are 6, as opposed to the most recent guides (A. Pombo and Brierley). And here's where I would appreciate your feedback. Based on your own experience, have you walked Burgos to León in 6 or in 8 days? What was your experience? Where did you stop?

Note that I want your experience, so as to avoid "depends" type answers (fitness, available time, health, etc.).

Finally, in the next hours I will become a Donating Member. This Forum has been an extraordinary source of information, guidance, good vibes, wit and wisdom. with the occasional exasperated member, but it's been invaluable thus far for me.

Abrazo and Buen Camino!

Rodrigo
Hi Rodrigo, I like your story and have enjoyed watching this thread as I’m doing Burgos to Leon for this leg in Sept 2024. I’m walking alone, and planning for 7-8 days walking, so have pre-booked some places as it terrifies me I might not find somewhere to stay!

However, I’ve left a couple of gaps further on, to trust the Way, as I was fine last year to Burgos (my first camino) and even had some amazing experiences for not planning too much. However, I don’t know which route to take past Sahagan, as there are a couple of split choices, which are making me anxious, as they seem long and arduous, but praps I’ll start a new thread about those!

Anyways, here’s my plan so far:
I arrive in Burgos mid morning so plan to walk from there to my starting point of Tardajos to make the next day’s walk a bit less.
Day 1 proper Tardajos to Hontanas
Day 2 to Boadilla,
Day 3 to Carrion de Los Condes
Day 4 to Ledigos
Day 5 to ??? To Sahagan, or get to Calzada de Coto or Bercianos (diff routes)
Day 6 to Mansilla
Day 7 to Leon.

Buen Camino.
Bet you can’t wait to be back!
Any comments or advice from anyone welcome!
Cate

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back