• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

447,704 and still counting!

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
When the Santiago pilgrim office opened this morning the running total of Compostelas issued for this year stood at 445,807. Today they handed out another 1,897. Making the new total for the year to date 447,704. More than were issued in the whole of 2023 (446,078) which was itself a new record year. And there are still nearly 3 months left of this year.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My initial thought was that 500,000 would be quite a stretch, however when you consider that the numbers early this year were up by 18 percent, topping out at 12% up from last year is perhaps not so far fetched.
Whilst the numbers from SJPdP are always interesting, purely from a statistical viewpoint it's a shame there's no pilgrim offices in Sarria and Tui.

I seem to recall that last year that the overall numbers were 'conservatively estimated' to be 25% higher, ie in excess of 560, 000. ( Others were quoting over 600,000).

So with even just a 10% increase year on year, in 2030 that will mean 1 million people walking a Camino.....

Whilst the numbers from SJPdP are always interesting, purely from a statistical viewpoint it's a shame there's no pilgrim offices in Sarria and Tui.
The filters on the Santiago pilgrim office statistics page allow you to search for numbers who received Compostelas who started from Sarria and Tui or other popular towns and also to break the figures down further by nationality and sex and month.

The filters on the Santiago pilgrim office statistics page allow you to search for numbers who received Compostelas who started from Sarria and Tui or other popular towns and also to break the figures down further by nationality and sex and month.
Oh yippie, Camino statistics again ☺️. The website is such a tempting place to play around with the options for filtering.

I did just that: I set the filters to Camino Francés without the starting point Sarria. Note that the numbers do not reflect feet on the ground, they reflect feet on the ground of those who got counted because they went to the Pilgrims Office.

As to the numbers for the Camino Frances with all starting points included except Sarria: There is no increase but rather stagnation or even a modest decrease in recent years. The last figure (69,561 for 2024) will obviously still increase during Oct-Dec but it is not going to beat records either.

It just confirms that the numbers increase elsewhere: on other Caminos and from Sarria.
Frances without Sarria.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I seem to recall that last year that the overall numbers were 'conservatively estimated' to be 25% higher, ie in excess of 560, 000. ( Others were quoting over 600,000).
These were numbers seen on the forum for the Holy Year 2021 before we knew that Covid would change travel patterns and travel options. They were pure fantasy figures, derived from a simplistic extrapolation where the poster had not bothered to familiarise himself with behaviour patterns and other realistic factors.

I'd completely forgotten, thanks! A long time since I played with that element of the system. ( Too hard on my phone)
Talk about a 'Homer' moment....

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
What we do not know is the number of pilgrims who get their Compostelas then head directly out of town by bus, train or plane - on the same day. This is NOT a small number. There is likely no way to know, not easily at least.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When the Santiago pilgrim office opened this morning the running total of Compostelas issued for this year stood at 445,807. Today they handed out another 1,897. Making the new total for the year to date 447,704. More than were issued in the whole of 2023 (446,078) which was itself a new record year. And there are still nearly 3 months left of this year.
I walked the Camino Frances in 2009. Even then, a couple of hostels were full by the time I arrived so I had to walk on to the next town. From Sarria, of course, the route was much more busy. This year I have read that on some days, over 3000 pilgrims collect their Compostellas from the Pilgrim Office. That's against a total of around 145,000 pilgrims for the whole of 2009. The number for the busiest month, August, has doubled from 2009 to 2024 and I cannot imagine the effect on the Albergues and on the Pilgrim Office.

Throwing my two cents (well, maybe three cents) into this discussion, it occurs to me that, one of the other, intangible reasons, why the number of daily Compostelas issued is up dramatically, is that the process for generating a Compostela was partially automated as from 2022. Pilgrims now pre-submit all their data electronically, to the pilgrim website, before arriving at Santiago de Compostela.

This eliminated clipboards, paper forms and shared pens - as disease vectors at the time. It also avoids the time needed waiting at the counter for a staff-person or volunteer to key input eah pilgrim's handwritten information. As a single step, eliminating only the manual data entry at the counter reduced the per-pilgrim transaction time from around 6 to 7 minutes to around two minutes, per pilgrim.

As a regular volunteer, since 2014, I clocked these process times myself, in-person, in 2021 and 2022. A family illness and my need to remain here as caregiver precluded me from volunteering in 2023 and 2024. However, I continue to follow progress remotely, via direct reports from friends who work at the Pilgrim Office. Saving five-minutes on every pilgrim adds up fast, especially in July and August. The time saved is accumulative. The results have been dramatic.

At the same time, Compostela variants provided were reduced to one type. These pre-printed certificates are over-printed on a laser printer, taking input form the electronically submitted personal information, resulting in excellent quality every time. The Certificate of Distance is also printed on the same laser printers. Streamlining the process, and reducing the certificate variants issued, greatly reduced the overall waiting time.

As a result, the total time to arrive, enter and receive a Compostela can be measured in minutes rather than the previous hours. Once the Pilgrim Office reduced the overall wait at the office, from two to three hours, to perhaps 30 minutes start to finish, it likely has had a magnet affect, inducing more arriving pilgrims to request Compostelas.

Formerly, a LOT of arriving pilgrims would not bother seeking a Compostela, because of the time investment required. So, mathematically, and in my view, part of the large increase in Compostela numbers may be due to a reduction in "self refusals" to seek a Compostela because of the wait time. Per the available statistics, this would be reflected across all Camino routes, times of year, and demographics.

To be sure, the annual volume of pilgrims is most assuredly up overall in recent years, after the COVID pandemic. But, trying to get an accurate volume projection based solely on the number of Compostelas issued is difficult because of the variables involved. The reduction in the "self-refusal" rate on arrival is but one such variable.

I only wish there was a cost-effective way to refine this estimate. But, lacking the ability to "look back" over the previous years, there are very few constants that we can rely to interpolate the trends.

Unless I miss the point of interest here, the only historical data that might be reliable enough to infer a percentage change in the number of pilgrims on any Camino route are the departure stats coming out of the Pilgrim Office at St. Jean Pied de Port. In my experience, this is the only place that is both a "choke point" and is set-in-place over history. It is also the only place of which I am aware, that has counted the same statistic - the number of pilgrims starting from a fixed Camino starting point for decades.

Yes, the Camino Frances is only one of dozens of Camino routes. But, as a statistical sample, if 47 percent of ALL pilgrims eventually arriving at Santiago de Compostela arrive from the Camino Frances, the sample size is adequate to be significant. IMHO this is true, even if you discount the large tranche of folks who start at Sarria, or at intermediate places: Logroño, Burgos, Leon, Astrgra, Ponferrada, etc.

The remaining number of people who arrive off the Frances, having started at St. Jean Pied de Port, remains statistically significant. Measuring the CHANGE in THAT variable would go a long way towards Inferring whether and to what degree the number of pilgrims is increasing. It would at least give us a RATE of change.

I propose that extrapolating this rate of change across other Camino Routes would be reasonable and appropriate.

At least, this makes sense to me - I think. Hope this helps the dialog.

Tom

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings! I was on my way, striding down the French Road, not so long ago. My attention turned to the litter, the garbage, that is scattered along the edge of the path, or bordering the...
Hi, y’all! I’ll be hiking Sarria to the end of the CF route in the last week of October. I’ve heard sometimes the albergues are closed along this path. Has anyone known this to be the case...
I have tried three companies now online, October 25th to October 31st are my travel dates between sarria and santiago de compostela - noone of the companies are offering luggage transfer on my...
When the Santiago pilgrim office opened this morning the running total of Compostelas issued for this year stood at 445,807. Today they handed out another 1,897. Making the new total for the year...
This was a rather last minute arrangement. About 3 weeks ago I saw a window in my life to get some time to myself and booked a flight to Lisbon from Christchurch New Zealand. I'm spending 36 days...
Hello- I've recently learned that apparently plans are afoot to build a new museum in the Urdaibai Bioshphere Reserve in Spain. There is a petition available to sign asking the Salomon R...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back