• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(29M USA) Achilles problem - how serious is it and medical care

AlwaysAlreadyOn

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues a la Costa 2022,
? 2024
Hi y'all. Been crushing miles on the Camino Frances and a couple of days ago I started having some deep pain in my lower right calf/ankle - the Achilles region. Stretching and flexing the foot became more difficult. Yesterday I took a short day due to the difficulties (13miles) and stopped at Sahagún. Today I saw the massage person at Sahagún and they massaged me and told me to use a support sock thing and to use a cold cream two or three times a day. I took the train to Leon to take some rest days for the foot bc I didn't think I could make it on foot.

My question to you all is, should I see a physical therapist or doctor to get a closer look at the Achilles? I have travel insurance so if it's completely unusable (I don't have the experience with sports injuries to tell if I'm fucked or just need a couple days rest) I would rather know now and try to get treatment (surgery/pt) here, rather than what, flying back to the states and then bankrupting myself with a doctor there?

Wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences, if I'm overreacting, and if you have recommendations for what I should do.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, see a gp or someone in a centro de salud / clinic . Only they can tell you if your Achilles is really " fucked " as you describe so poetically.
If you have travel insurance you can go to a private clinic ( they are better equipped to deal with foreigners and their insurances / paperwork than state clinics ).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Same thing happened to me in 2022 early in a attempt to hike to PCT. Everything was going great until I felt what you described. I used and online Physio based in the USA that specializes in treating thru hikers. She is very good and can assess you online. Cost is minimal. Here is her contact info. https://blazephysio.com/
In my case she assessed that I could not continue and to be examined in a clinic with imaging. I ended up flying back to Canada and seeing my Doc who arranged for an ultrasound. He said an MRI would be better but in Canada for something like this I'd be waiting a year or more by which time it would be healed anyway. The Ultra sound showed micro tears in the tendon and pulled muscle and plantar tendon damage. Had I kept going I would have eventually torn my tendon right through. In any event, a year of physio therapy later and in July 2023 I solo hiked from the interior of Iceland to the coast for two weeks.
Whatever action you take good luck. I know how you are feeling but error on the side of less damage. Dr. Morgan Brosnihan at Blaze will get you going in the right direction if you choose to use her services.
Best of luck
Frank

See a doctor asap. I lived with Achilles pain on my first Camino caused in training, and I’m always trying to keep it from flaring up. I see my doctor, physio, get scans and get shots pre Camino now.

Physios in Spain are very good, and know Camino injuries well.

Get professional help.

You’ve likely been walking too far, too fast with too much weight,

Ps. Did you see a massage person or a physiotherapist? (Physio ). A Fisio / Physio will provide additional treatments, show you stretches to do, and strapping techniques if you need them.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi y'all. Been crushing miles on the Camino Frances and a couple of days ago I started having some deep pain in my lower right calf/ankle - the Achilles region. Stretching and flexing the foot became more difficult. Yesterday I took a short day due to the difficulties (13miles) and stopped at Sahagún. Today I saw the massage person at Sahagún and they massaged me and told me to use a support sock thing and to use a cold cream two or three times a day. I took the train to Leon to take some rest days for the foot bc I didn't think I could make it on foot.

My question to you all is, should I see a physical therapist or doctor to get a closer look at the Achilles? I have travel insurance so if it's completely unusable (I don't have the experience with sports injuries to tell if I'm fucked or just need a couple days rest) I would rather know now and try to get treatment (surgery/pt) here, rather than what, flying back to the states and then bankrupting myself with a doctor there?

Wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences, if I'm overreacting, and if you have recommendations for what I should do.
By all means, see a doctor. If he/she tells you you're done walking and you have to return home, you should get a note from the doctor describing the diagnosis and their instructions to you to stop walking. That way if you incur additional expenses in changing air tickets to return home early you can claim the cost of cancelling or changing flights from your travel insurance company. I know from experience that if you don't see a doctor before cancelling your camino the insurance won't cover any additional travel costs you might incur.

You are not 'fucked' by any means. Life tests come in all forms and almost always at unexpected times. How you 'rally' will say a lot about you. Thank God for these 'favors' he does for you and everyone else. One gets better by enduring pain, both physical and otherwise. Be sure to send a thank you note to God. Chuck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hi y'all - here's an update. I went to the do itctor today and she looked at it only for a minute or so. My understanding of what she was saying was that she doesn't recommend I continue on foot.

I'm a little vexed because of how reasonably well I'm feeling already and bc of how short she looked at it. Could she be recommending not continuing on foot out of an abundance of caution? Should I take the risk level to be that of eating too many high cholesterol foods, smoking or touching uranium? Or is my foot about to fall off?

Personally, I think I want to at least try continuing after a couple of rest days by sending my backpack on ahead. That alone plus rest might make a difference!

Would upload an image of my discharge papers but I can't figure it out.

One consideration is that you apparently are not injured RIGHT now, at least injured enough to invoke an insurance claim and you also have a doctor's recommendation that you NOT continue walking. What happens if you continue with your "crushing it" experience and end up 'crushing it'? Will your insurance company honor a claim for a future injury?

At the very least take a couple of rest days, take some ant-inflammatory meds, strongly consider a pack transport service for your daily stages, reduce your daily walking distance, etc. Reassess after a couple of days to decide if you need to come home and finish your Camino another time. If the inner voice is telling you to change your plans then listen to it. Spoken from experience!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi y'all - here's an update. I went to the do itctor today and she looked at it only for a minute or so. My understanding of what she was saying was that she doesn't recommend I continue on foot.

I'm a little vexed because of how reasonably well I'm feeling already and bc of how short she looked at it. Could she be recommending not continuing on foot out of an abundance of caution?
Again, I am not a doctor so in situations as this I would always follow the advise of a doctor.

Even is she only looked at it for a minute. And sorry to be so harsh but if you did not understand her well in the first instance you should have asked her for more details and not us here.

She saw you on a Sunday afterall which probably means she was on call and maybe they were a bit understaffed. But what a wonderful option to be able to consult a doctor and receive such swift and cheap help.

I'm a little vexed because of how reasonably well I'm feeling already and bc of how short she looked at it. Could she be recommending not continuing on foot out of an abundance of caution? Should I take the risk level to be that of eating too many high cholesterol foods, smoking or touching uranium? Or is my foot about to fall off?

Personally, I think I want to at least try continuing after a couple of rest days by sending my backpack on ahead. That alone plus rest might make a difference!

Would upload an image of my discharge papers but I can't figure it out.
If your feet feel better after the short break, keep going. My own experience with Achilles tendinitis in 2019:

After averaging 40 km per day for 10 days on CF, both Achilles became swollen and sore. I asked advice from 100 people, some were doctors, on my email list. My solution was
Drink lots of water
Apply Voltaren gel (strong) 2x per day
Take 600mg ibuprofen 3x per day
Use trekking pole or roller to deeply massage calf muscles several times a day
Stretch every hour of walking
Reduce stride distance
Use trekking poles 100% while walking
Slow down to half speed for 2 days
Spend extra day in Leon to find better inner soles
Walk half speed/distance 2 more days
Cured and back to 40km per day to Santiago while keeping meds, massage and stretching routine

I recommend going to HM Regla hospital in León. They have English speaking staff to act as interpreters so that you understand what the doctor's diagnosis is.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?
Hi y'all. Been crushing miles on the Camino Frances and a couple of days ago I started having some deep pain in my lower right calf/ankle - the Achilles region. Stretching and flexing the foot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.