• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

23 years later ...

LeslieC

Time of past OR future Camino
2001 - SJPP to Santo Domingo
Hola, peregrinos.
I set out from St Jean on 7 September 2001. Yes, four days before That Day in New York, so that was an interesting time for sure! Aside from that, the airline I was booked to go home on nearly went bankrupt and my left knee decided 'no more' in Santo Domingo. I bussed to Burgo and gave it a couple of days' rest - didn't help - then took the train to Santiago, on the basis that that might be the only way I'd get there!
But on the plus side, I made a friend in France I'm still in touch with, and had some amazing experiences in the short time I was walking.
Now, much later, my wife and I have taken up Nordic walking to ease the knees and are talking about having another go at the Camino in 2026, when we'll both turn 70. Madness!
Back then I was a member of the Santiagobis Yahoo group and I've already spotted a couple of names on this forum I remember (including Ivar himself). I'm sure things will have changed a lot on the infrastructure along the way, but I hope the old Camino feeling is still there. Looking around the forum, I'm pretty sure it is.
Looking forward to chatting with some of you as we go through our planning.
- Leslie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
70? If you’re fit and in good health you’ll be fine. I met many this year quite a bit older. Many. If you’re adaptable and flexible and like walking and meeting people, go for it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i walked the VDLP from Merida last Spring and will be 74 before my next walk (hopefully the Catalan and Aragonese)
My first Camino was the Frances in 2009 so I can relate to your doubts about returning years later. However I would put these aside and take the plunge.
Have a wonderful trip and enjoy the planning.
Buen camino to both of you

Hola, peregrinos.
I set out from St Jean on 7 September 2001. Yes, four days before That Day in New York, so that was an interesting time for sure! Aside from that, the airline I was booked to go home on nearly went bankrupt and my left knee decided 'no more' in Santo Domingo. I bussed to Burgo and gave it a couple of days' rest - didn't help - then took the train to Santiago, on the basis that that might be the only way I'd get there!
But on the plus side, I made a friend in France I'm still in touch with, and had some amazing experiences in the short time I was walking.
Now, much later, my wife and I have taken up Nordic walking to ease the knees and are talking about having another go at the Camino in 2026, when we'll both turn 70. Madness!
Back then I was a member of the Santiagobis Yahoo group and I've already spotted a couple of names on this forum I remember (including Ivar himself). I'm sure things will have changed a lot on the infrastructure along the way, but I hope the old Camino feeling is still there. Looking around the forum, I'm pretty sure it is.
Looking forward to chatting with some of you as we go through our planning.
- Leslie
I also had a bit of a gap between my first and second Caminos (1989 and 2016). It sure had changed! And I would say that the atmosphere and pilgrim culture were not exactly the same. Of course not, with 60x or more the number of pilgrims. There was a bit of a new Camino feeling. But it was still a Camino feeling that has brought me back again and again.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I also had a bit of a gap between my first and second Caminos (1989 and 2016). It sure had changed!
Things have changed enormously since my first Camino too. I sometimes struggle to adjust to the scale of those changes and the current situation on the Frances and the Portugues as I have a strong personal preference for quiet and solitude on my walking journeys. One of the positive changes in recent years for me has been the growth of infrastructure on the less-travelled alternatives to the Camino Frances and also the widening of the pilgrimage "season" which makes a range of options available for those for whom a main season Camino Frances lacks appeal.

Most read last week in this forum

My brother Bruno was traveling the Santiago paths and the last time we had contact with him was when he arrived in Santiago de Compostela. We haven't heard from him since August 17th. If you...
Hello fellow pilgrims, I am planning on opening an Albergue on the Portuguese route. I have walked both the Frances and the Portuguese route. I speak pretty decent Portuguese and am looking for...
Hello all, I'm planning to walk my first Camino in 2025 and am looking for advice re weather when crossing the mountains from SJPP. I'll be 71, going solo, and will be doing about 2 weeks...
For the past couple of years, the mods have volunteered to create calendars that show forum members’ names, date of departure, and departure city. The hope is that it gives people a chance to...
Hello, I am going to be walking my first Camino this spring and will spend two weeeks in Spain. I will take a relaxed walk from Sarria to Santiago. I will be almost 79 years old and walk five...
in summer 2026! I walked solo in 2023 and when I returned home, I had my oldest daughter's wedding to focus on as it was just a few weeks after completing my Camino on July 1st 2023! After that...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back