• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 Stamps per day

CVincer

Time of past OR future Camino
Nil
Obviously a stamp can be obtained at a refugio, but where else? A list can be obtained of refugio locations, is their a list of locations where stamps can also be obtained? Thanks.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Or the Guardia Civil in a random location will offer you one

Obviously a stamp can be obtained at a refugio, but where else? A list can be obtained of refugio locations, is their a list of locations where stamps can also be obtained? Thanks.
the stamping is somewhat informal and they all count. you will most likely end up getting most of your stamps at cafés (we call them bars here). if you're lucky, you might run into some churches that are open and have a stamp. the pilgrim's office does not require stamps from a preapproved list.

getting stamps is also a bit easier on the french way, at smaller towns and closer to galicia. don't be surprised if on some of the other routes, especially if you are far from santiago, stamps may not be that easy to get (eg. camino de madrid). your accommodation, however, no matter where, will always have a stamp.

by the way, most pilgrims and spaniards call the hostels: albergues, and not refugios. in spanish, a refugio is something else, similar to a mountain hut - a roof and four walls in the mountains where you can find shelter. the albergues are very different.

good luck and Buen Camino.

Any albergues,hotels, bars,restaurants, cafés, churches,cathedrals, ermitas, some police stations,some food trucks...
Indeed, I have sent a proposal to the Pilgrim Office in order to deliver several kind of Compostelas, according the stamps found on the credential, beside the standard one:
- for those who show a credential with bar stamps, a "Cervezeria" would be delivered, decorated with glass of beers.
- for food trucks or restaurant stamps, a "Comeria" with pimientos de Padrón, pieces of meat, and so on...
It would provide more diversity and would satisfy the collectors.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
by the way, most pilgrims and spaniards call the hostels: albergues, and not refugios. in spanish, a refugio is something else, similar to a mountain hut - a roof and four walls in the mountains where you can find shelter. the albergues are very different.
Perhaps @CVincer has been reading some older information on the Caminos. "Refugio" was the standard term for dedicated pilgrim accommodation for a number of years early in the Camino revival well before "albergue" became the norm. One of the oldest pilgrim albergues on the Frances in continuous use is Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal.

If they created a list of everywhere that issues stamps, the list would be longer than the Camino. Most cafe's bars etc do them. Just ask . The natives are friendly . . . 🤣

If they created a list of everywhere that issues stamps, the list would be longer than the Camino. Most cafe's bars etc do them. Just ask . The natives are friendly . . . 🤣
The do have one,albeit not fully complete. Somewhere here on the Forum there is a post (or 2) with a link to a site with "all" the sellos and where to get them (maybe some Esteemed Member can find it?) - purely a collectors delight but again not necessary by any means

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You never need worry, if you find an open church, take some time to soak up the atmosphere, then look for the stamp, about 2/3rd of churches and chapels which are on the path will have one (although the pen probably won't work).
Every cafe and bar that you enter buy your coffee and just say "tiene un sello" waving your passport and they will find it.
There are even enterprising hobos offering a sello as an attraction in the midle of the woods to sell you a bottle of water.
I have even heard of some sites where they will draw something by hand in your passport if they don't have a stamp.

Your passport will become one of your most treasured mementos of your trip, more valuable than the Compostela (although I have just today queued 15 minutes to get yet another)

I have sellos / stamps from wineries, gas stations, convents, and every place mentioned in this string.

Basically, every business that sells goods or services must have a rubber stamp of some kind, to use in case the power goes out and they have to issue manual receipts. So, any place that does business will have an address stamp for their business. For Camino purposes, this is adequate to establish the location. Annotating it with a date establishes the date. Easy peasy.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I found this link / URL address recently:

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perhaps @CVincer has been reading some older information on the Caminos. "Refugio" was the standard term for dedicated pilgrim accommodation for a number of years early in the Camino revival well before "albergue" became the norm. One of the oldest pilgrim albergues on the Frances in continuous use is Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal.
I stayed there in2012. Unfortunately it has been closed the other few times I walked by because I walk late in the year. It is a wonderful place. I believe there is some magic there!

I found this link / URL address recently:

Buen Camino
This is where I found my sellos for my 2020 "Virtual" Camino - it's an impressive collection indeed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I really would like to add one or two Police stations to my Camino Passport. Any Idea which stations have the Sello ?

I really would like to add one or two Police stations to my Camino Passport. Any Idea which stations have the Sello ?
Any Guardia Civil Post and all Policia Nacional and/ Local will have a sello All you need is sufficient Spanish and the cojones to stick your head in the door and ask for one 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good number of Policía stations (and many Guarda Civil) have a sign in the window saying ‘don’t even think about it’.

If, on the other hand you encounter a ‘Guarda Civil Atención al peregrinos’ patrol, they’ll be delighted.

I don't know where you start ... at the beginning of the Camino Francés, you can get a Guardia Civil stamp for your pilgrim passport in the following Guardia Civil stations:

✅ Burguete
✅ Zubiri
✅ Pamplona
✅ Puente la Reina
✅ Estella
✅ Los Arcos
✅ Viana

I copied this list from the text accompanying a Guardia Civil video clip on Instagram. They created this special sello for Camino pilgrims a few years ago and you can get them in pretty much all major towns along the Camino Francés. This is in addition to their "Mobile Offices" during the pilgrimage season; these are Guardia Civil teams on foot, horseback, motorbike or patrol car along the Camino Francés but there is obviously no guarantee that you will encounter one of them and have a chance to ask for a sello.

Link to their Instagram clip: https://www.instagram.com/guardia_civil_navarra/reel/C6t0tUFs8mC/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Capture d’écran 2024-06-21 à 22.36.13.png Guardia Civil "Atencion al peregrino" stamp. Notice that the modern credentials are due to Guardia Civil. In the 50's, Franco being el Caudillo, the guardia civil arrested some french pilgrims for "wandering". This is why the first pilgrim association decided to set a credential.

Remember you only need two stamps in the last 100 for the Compestela. A certificate of distance requires one per day. You can get them everywhere. Good luck

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A certificate of distance requires one per day. You can get them everywhere. Good luck
A certificate of distance requires a few euros.
I never have seen a Pilgrim Office Volunteer watching a whole credential before delivering it.

A certificate of distance requires a few euros.
I never have seen a Pilgrim Office Volunteer watching a whole credential before delivering it.
As a volunteer you get handed a 3m long credential with stamps and sellos all the way from Vienna to SdC and you look upon it with awe.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
Why do they put the kilometer markers where they do, for example 301.1 km, and as 300km was over an hours walk away, are these people messing with my mind
If you have given thought to begin or end your Camino in Barcelona--Tourist taxes and a ban on Short Term Rentals...
Dont question the why.. The reasons are a million or more than the stars in the sky Its simply you were needed"there" at that point in time and place Fate and destiny Shrug and sigh Whats it all...
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.