• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Two pilgrims injured in an attack by a cow

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. One pilgrim has been seriously injured and was transported to hospital by helicopter. The other's injuries are less serious.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sad, worrying.
In the UK there are literally thousands of cow attacks each year and some deaths - we have many footpaths that go over farmland - but people here still treat them as if they are just cute friendly animals - they aren't.
I was attacked by a cow once and thrown onto a barbed wire fence, rescued by the farmer - since then I have been both scared and cautious.

Those poor pilgrims - a cow can easily outrun a human ... they must have been terrified, I hope that they both fully recover.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There were many times I had to run the gamut of cattle on the VdlP. I was always extremely cautious and wary giving lots of space and avoiding calves. When possible I waited for other pilgrims. There was another recent case where pilgrims were chased up a tree. Some asked if perhaps the cow(s) we're provoked in some way. You often see tourists getting too close to wildlife trying for selfies. Perhaps some educational do's and don'ts are needed. I would hate to see the route moved to the roadside for incidents like these.

Nothing to indicate the pilgrim did anything wrong and they might have just been unlucky. Maybe the trail went right between a cow and a calf. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

Hopefully they weren't doing something moronic or had a loose dog with them.
In the former category, it's obvious that people underestimate how dangerous animals are when provoked... Exhibit A https://www.instagram.com/touronsofnationalparks/

On the via Podiensis we walked through cattle and huge horned bulls laying right on the path in the Aumont-Aubrac. I was always very leery of them no matter how cute and docile they looked!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the Via de la Plata sometimes you have a fence on both sided of the path and if there is a cow there, you don't have too much room to negotiate. This one, in the picture below, made my heart pound! If you look closely you can see the fence.

I took this photo on a stage Casar - Cañaveral earlier this year:

Attachments

• 20240228_154029.jpg
    20240228_154029.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 85
On the via Podiensis we walked through cattle and huge horned bulls laying right on the path in the Aumont-Aubrac. I was always very leery of them no matter how cute and docile they looked!!!
IMG_1368.jpeg
Yes, but on the Aubrac, they are particularly used to pilgrims and hiker.
My guess is that cows (and namely bulls) which are not used to human beings can be dangerous. I heard that the "toros bravos" used for corridas grow far away from any human being...

On the Norte last year I ran into this. I waited for a few other pilgrims and we all carefully walked next to the cows. I had been charged by a yak earlier in the year and was very nervous.

It was a tough spot because you couldn't really find another route. It was either slip past or return from the way you came.
1000008278.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My first thought was "dog" so I put peregrinos perro into Google News and this came up immediately:

Unfortunately, these rare and serious attacks of walkers by a cow often involve the dog that accompanies the walker and whose mere presence or mere barking can cause aggressive behaviour and/or an attack with serious injuries of a person in the immediate vicinity. For the meadows in the Alps, the standard advice (other than stay away altogether) is for dog owners out walking to keep the dog on a leash but to let go of the dog when a cow attacks.

Last edited:
My first thought was "dog" so I put peregrinos perro into Google News and this came up immediately
Excellent guess! 👏 👏 👏

The owner of the dog learned a valuable lesson about taking his pet on the Camino. I hope the dog and the cow is OK.
Latest news: the cow was defending her calf from the barking dog

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hopefully they weren't doing something moronic or had a loose dog with them.

So there was a dog involved.

Very foolish to take an uncontrolled dog on the camino. And i do include dogs that are accustomed to nuisance barking because "that's what dogs do" in that definition. Or dogs let off their leads.

Not only because the camino goes through farmland but because of possible interactions with other poorly controlled dogs that live along the route.

There's a lot of criticism of people who need rescue and assistance by ignoring weather warnings but seems this guy put another pilgrim in danger too.

The Via de la Plata passes through a number of areas with livestock: pigs, cattle and sheep - the latter often accompanied by large guardian dogs.. Very different from the Camino Frances which steers clear of pasture land and where livestock is mostly behind fences. It does seem very unwise to take a dog along on that route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Several local news websites are reporting that two pilgrims have been taken to hospital with injuries after being attacked by a cow. The incident took place about 10km north of Fuenterroble de Salvatierra. One pilgrim has been seriously injured and was transported to hospital by helicopter. The other's injuries are less serious.

We encountered Rubia Gallega cattle with horns on the CF multiple times in Galicia last month. I grew up with cattle, so I knew how to behave but still it is intimidating to have a herd WITH horns coming up the path with barbed wire fence on both sides and nowhere for you to go.
One farmer asked the pilgrims to stop as he brought his heard to pasture, and all of us respected this, except for a father and his teenage son. The father said ‘we don’t have to wait for cows!’ And proceeded to walk through the herd. They spooked a couple of the cows which started to freak out and the old farmer had to run down the hill to deal with it. Luckily no human or cow was injured- but I witnessed how pilgrims who don’t respect farmers or animals can get themselves hurt.

Yes, this makes more sense now.
The article also says that the farmer was moving the cows from one area to another, located on either side of the Cañada Real through which the Vía de la Plata passes. While news reports are not always reliable, it seems that the herd was on the move anyway.

This is a terrible incident where two people were taken to hospitals and one is apparently seriously injured. Given these details, however, I don't think that pilgrims in general have reason to be unduly worried for their own safety.

Another standard piece of advice, at least for walking in the Alps, in addition to the advice for dog owners that they should keep their dogs at a considerable distance and best out of sight and sound of cow herds, and of keeping their dog on a lead and of letting go of the dog when an attack is imminent (the dog will run away and the cow is likely to go after the dog and not after the walkers) is the general advice that calves are curious and may approach people and that one should never attempt to stroke them or offer food. Just keeping a distance whenever possible.

except for a father and his teenage son. The father said ‘we don’t have to wait for cows!’
🤬

people and that one should never stroke or offer food.
This can't be said too often. The world is not a Disney movie. Having your 'moment' - and maybe wanting the photo or video of to post on social media - is just deeply unwise. (I erased stronger language 😇).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did not know how many cows I would actually encounter on the Camino. I frankly never really thought of it. I’m from California, in the suburbs, no cows. I was walking along the path on the Frances with a Brit and I was just planning to walk slowly and calmly by a group of cows just hanging out on the path. Well this Brit moved to the side climbing up the little incline on the side of the path into the trees. I kept walking. I did not know the difference between a cow and a bull. Apparently there was a bull. My friend quickly shouted to get out of the way and I was so oblivious. So to anyone from a city going to the Camino, I’d tell them to avoid the bulls.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My first walking day will be on Tuesday, but because I am now still in the possession of my laptop I thought it would be handy to start this thread already. I landed on Asturias airport on...
Something I came across earlier today which sounded interesting. The Ourense local council and a public service organisation are running a project where local people can walk from Ourense to...
Usually reliable Rome2Rio website doesn't show a bus route which runs close to the Oseira monastery, but Google maps shows a bus icon there. Does anyone know whether there is or is not bus service...
In case it’s helpful for those who are looking to start their Sanabres walk from Granja de Moruela: Last week, when I reached Granja de Moruela while walking the via de la plata, I continued...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back