LIVE from the Camino Snowed in at San Juan de la Pena!

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Weather in Spain is truly insane right now, but we thought we’d be safe avoiding the worst of it by starting in Jaca just south of the Pyrenees... GUESS AGAIN!!!

We are literally snowed in at the hotel at the San Juan de la Pena monastery and it’s only guest (in that gigantic hotel!). The rain in the valley turned into snow as we walked up the road (trail is closed), ending with over a foot of snow on the ground as we arrived. Pure craziness, but thrilled to have my pick of room and dinner delivered by the only worker onsite! Definitely a Camino memory.

PS: Darn Tough socks kept my feet warm despite being soaked. Worth every pennyDCC632DA-7995-4E23-90C2-3FD6088D68A7.jpeg8513A511-3840-4077-9A60-6C5EDD81BA21.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Cayou

Jan 21, 2016
California
2015 Villafranca to SdC 2016 St Jean to LosArcos 2018 Leon to SdC 2019 Le Puy to Conques
Great photo Vacajoe! The incredible snowy outside one, not so much the food.
Glad it's you and not me, but glad you're there to share a wonderful Camino moment to those of us still dreaming about being there, while counting the months, weeks, days ....... enjoy your journey!

Vacajoe

Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
It’s spain, so the soup was followed by tortilla (served at 10pm, of course! ). It was all quite delicious, especially since the sole employee here just threw together what he could find for us. No complaints!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Jan 23, 2013
South Yorkshire, UK
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018, (2019)
Weather in Spain is truly insane right now, but we thought we’d be safe avoiding the worst of it by starting in Jaca just south of the Pyrenees... GUESS AGAIN!!!

We are literally snowed in at the hotel at the San Juan de la Pena monastery and it’s only guest (in that gigantic hotel!). The rain in the valley turned into snow as we walked up the road (trail is closed), ending with over a foot of snow on the ground as we arrived. Pure craziness, but thrilled to have my pick of room and dinner delivered by the only worker onsite! Definitely a Camino memory.

PS: Darn Tough socks kept my feet warm despite being soaked. Worth every pennyView attachment 41120View attachment 41121
Hi Vacajoe, thank-you for posting 'live from the camino'. I am on the verge of booking a camino trip from Lourdes to SdC, and I plan to walk the CA as part of the route. I have to say that I am surprised by how little (recent) information has been posted on the CdS forum about this camino, so it would be good to know what resources you have relied on to prepare for/follow the route. I am not adept at using GPS or similar, so any other guides, maps, internet sites, etc., you have used will be of great interest to me.
Buen camino. I hope the weather improves for you very soon.

jascreative

Sep 17, 2009
California
Recent: Camino Portuguese (Porto to Santiago) 2022
Hi Vacajoe, thank-you for posting 'live from the camino'. I am on the verge of booking a camino trip from Lourdes to SdC, and I plan to walk the CA as part of the route. I have to say that I am surprised by how little (recent) information has been posted on the CdS forum about this camino, so it would be good to know what resources you have relied on to prepare for/follow the route. I am not adept at using GPS or similar, so any other guides, maps, internet sites, etc., you have used will be of great interest to me.
Buen camino. I hope the weather improves for you very soon.

Hi Sheffield James,
My dad and I walked the Aragones route from Somport to Puente la Reina in 2015. We used a couple different guides – a Confraternity of St. James guide that includes Toulouse to Puente la Reina (https://www.csj.org.uk/product/pilg...-la-reina-part-2-toulouse-to-puente-la-reina/) and also a guide/information booklet I found online --
http://www.aragon.es/estaticos/Impo...resProvincias/GUIA_CAMINO_SANTIAGO_INGLES.pdf

In addition, I had the Wise Pilgrim app for the Aragones on my phone.

CSJ also has available a Miam Miam Dodo that includes the Aragones – although in French, the MMD guides are easy to understand (used their Le Puy route guide on another Camino). You might check that one out too --

My blog about the Aragones walk has pictures & further info -- https://amandapilgrim.blogspot.com/2015/06/somport.html

It’s a quiet path and lovely – the old monastery of San Juan de la Pena built into a cliff is an art historical gem -- am glad we explored this “Road less traveled”!
Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Vacajoe

Feb 14, 2017
Northern California
All great advice above! The trail is EXTREMELY well-marked for most of the route but definitely a smart-phone based guide would be happy.

I highly recommend the maps.me app which is an offline map which tracks your location without internet access. Additionally, I spent a $2 or $3 for the Aragones portion on the app called Buen Camino. It’s pretty simple and not as sophisticated as others, but it does have a good route planner and can also track your location on its map if you have an iPhone.

The Aragones isn’t easy, but it’s definitely rewarding!

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides