Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Short Walk - worth it?

angelica123

Sep 16, 2022
United States
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Ingles (October 2022)
Hello all! I am going to be in Spain but only for two weeks, meeting up with a friend for one week. The other week, I'd like to do a short Camino walk but I have never done it before. Would you recommend doing this route to test it out? Or would you recommend another shorter walk (like the Camino Ingles or a portion of the other routes)? I've never done the Camino before and would like to use this as a way to see if I could do a longer camino. Any advice appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
For me, any time on the Camino is worth it!
I would probably choose the Camino Inglés over walking to Fisterra/Muxía. There's something very special about arriving in Santiago with your fellow pilgrims.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Finisterre & Muxia is a pleasant walk but, in my opinion, it has a different feel to it than a "regular" camino. Although you can walk it to Santiago to qualify for a compostela (if done correctly) I say you should save it for a walk to the sea following walking a different camino.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
You can choose any section of any Camino that you wish, but I would prefer to finish in Santiago for the experience. However as @Rick of Rick and Peg said the Fisterra/MuxĂ­a route has a different feel to it.

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
The Ingles is a perfect mini Camino and indeed with the bonus and joy of arriving in Santiago.

I also walked from Santiago to Finisterre but I was glad I finished in Santiago first ( in other years ).
The walk was wonderful but felt more like a regular holiday to me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

HeidiL

Veteran Member
Feb 13, 2005
Norway
Francés2004, Portugués,Madrid,Plata, hospi Grado
If you're walking at this time of the year, Francés isn't THAT crowded. I think I'd walk from Sarría to meet up with people and enjoy the infrastructure - and end up in Santiago, meeting people from the last few days as they straggle into town...

Nov 21, 2017
California
March 2019
April 2022
April 2024
I also had limited time and walked from Sarria to Santiago on the Camino Frances this past early April. Although many deride this section as too crowded and with more tourists, I found that in leaving my lodging mid-morning there were no crowds, that is was quite peaceful and quiet and lovely.

Warrenmatthews

Apr 16, 2017
2015, 2017 and 2018
Hello all! I am going to be in Spain but only for two weeks, meeting up with a friend for one week. The other week, I'd like to do a short Camino walk but I have never done it before. Would you recommend doing this route to test it out? Or would you recommend another shorter walk (like the Camino Ingles or a portion of the other routes)? I've never done the Camino before and would like to use this as a way to see if I could do a longer camino. Any advice appreciated!
I've walked sections on three occassions, each about 10 days. Leon to Villafranca del Bierzo; Pamplona to Burgos; and Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago plus the bus to Finisterre. All thoroughly enjoyable but if I had to choose I would highly recommend Leon route plus staying at Finisterre.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am walking feom Santiago to Muxia and then on to Finestette. I have a reservation in Novellana at the Hotel Restaurante de Fornon. Is this near the Camino, and Santa Marina? O can’t seem to...
If you stay in Logoso, you will see a big picture of a beautiful waterfalls on the wall in the bar. When I added to that the raves I heard when Michael and Flavia came to see me, I headed to...
So here’s my situation. I’ll arrive in SDC next week, after walking the VDLP and Sanabrés. I’ll have 4 or 5 days before my flight home from Madrid. - I don’t want to walk to Finisterre because...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides