• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pronation

OZAJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres (2008) Norte (2009) Vezelay/Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2010) etc.
A few days ago I consulted a sports podiatrist. I knew that I had pronation in my feet, but did not know the potential consequences, probably because I thought pronation meant flat feet. I don't have flat feet, it turns out.

A thorough examination, photos, videos, manipulation ...

My legs are out of alignment. One is 3mm longer than the other. Bones in one heel are not seated in their socket correctly. Same with both hips. Undue pressure on my knees due to improper alignment of upper and lower leg - twisted. And so on. I ought to be in much more pain than I am, particularly as I am nearly 70 y.o. and have walked a lot of Caminos.

Pain in my feet, but very slight. Stiffness and soreness in my ankles, but very slight and only occasional. Aching knees, again slight and occasional. Starting to get pain in my hips, lower back ...

All of the above is caused by the pronation. I was assured that improvements were very possible with manipulation over a few months and orthotics. I could avoid further damage and the need for knee and hip replacements down the track. If I did nothing it was very likely that my problems would get worse, and this could be avoided.

So, I would recommend anyone on this forum who has pronation and has done nothing about it: GO AND SEE A PODIATRIST.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Wearing hiking boots (even old ones for working in the garden, etc.) may also help a bit, I've found.

A few days ago I consulted a sports podiatrist. I knew that I had pronation in my feet, but did not know the potential consequences, probably because I thought pronation meant flat feet. I don't have flat feet, it turns out.

A thorough examination, photos, videos, manipulation ...

My legs are out of alignment. One is 3mm longer than the other. Bones in one heel are not seated in their socket correctly. Same with both hips. Undue pressure on my knees due to improper alignment of upper and lower leg - twisted. And so on. I ought to be in much more pain than I am, particularly as I am nearly 70 y.o. and have walked a lot of Caminos.

Pain in my feet, but very slight. Stiffness and soreness in my ankles, but very slight and only occasional. Aching knees, again slight and occasional. Starting to get pain in my hips, lower back ...

All of the above is caused by the pronation. I was assured that improvements were very possible with manipulation over a few months and orthotics. I could avoid further damage and the need for knee and hip replacements down the track. If I did nothing it was very likely that my problems would get worse, and this could be avoided.

So, I would recommend anyone on this forum who has pronation and has done nothing about it: GO AND SEE A PODIATRIST.
Some trailrunners are designed for pronation and it is possible to get different degrees of support for each foot.

I pronate more on my right foot as a result of an old motor vehicle accident and my right leg is also shorter for the same reason.

I found that walking was much easier with the correct support for each foot and that I could cover more ground with the same effort.

Until I tried the shoes with individual support I didn't realise that I had previously had a problem because that was simply how I walked.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did because I had a little bit of tendonitis on my return from Camino. Everything was normal on MRI and I am fine but he did say that I had pronation and suggested orthotics if I walk again, which I will consider but in the meanwhile he suggested I get a pair of Hoka One One recovery slip-ons and never walk barefoot in my home again. I took his advice and he is right, I almost felt an immediate relief from the tendonitis and I haven't had any back pain since either. The Hoka were the best $65 I have ever spent.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all! We finished our Camino yesterday and are in town for 2 more days before onward travel. I need somewhere to get my feet checked. I've got large blisters on the balls of both feet, that...
Taking suggestions on the topic.
Had to go to the medical clinic (centro de Saude) in Pallas de Rei (blisters) they told me without health insurance they are not able to see me as they have not got the facility to charge me ...
Any experience in using Frio bags? It is going to be used for insulin pens.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.