• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plastic Storage Bins in Santiago???

JJinWI

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 French Way
2022 French Way
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one:

Rather than shipping the storage bin to Santiago, I'm wondering if I could buy something similar in Santago for my return flight home.

Any ideas??? Specific places???

THANKS!!!

1716260992521.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Plus... if you use the big plastic bin your pack might end up in the "oversized luggage" storage area, which can sometimes cause delays ....
That can happen, but I’ve had a backpack classed as oversized in a large drysac. Didn’t cause any delay fortunately. Large bag is definitely an option.

The plastic box is overkill. Purchase a pack transport cover (Decathalon sell them) or transport inside a stripey polypropylene bag - I don’t use tape - I just zip it shut and padlock the zip to the small fabric loop near the top of the zip.

Or sew a fabric bag large enough to cover the pack.

I flew home from Madrid on May 15. There is a place in the airport near the Iberia check in counters that will plastic wrap (like shrink wrap) your backpack for 10 euros. It worked well!

I flew home from Madrid on May 15. There is a place in the airport near the Iberia check in counters that will plastic wrap (like shrink wrap) your backpack for 10 euros. It worked well!
I did that last time too. And left it packaged like that on my balcony when I came home - thought of it as bed bug measure 😂 Opened it after two weeks or so.

If you live near an IKEA this bag should do.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We order the Frakta IKEA bags from Amazon 3 per pack. Excellent for all kinds of things (fishing gear, clothes or shoe storage, check your backpacks on a plane, moving household, etc.)

We order the Frakta IKEA bags from Amazon 3 per pack. Excellent for all kinds of things (fishing gear, clothes or shoe storage, check your backpacks on a plane, moving household, etc.)
The Frakta bags no longer seem to be available from IKEA any more (at least not in the US).

I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one:

Rather than shipping the storage bin to Santiago, I'm wondering if I could buy something similar in Santago for my return flight home.

THANKS!!!

View attachment 170938
If you decide to use the plastic bin, why not ask Casa Ivar to store it for you. I forget how much the he charges but you can email him and ask… just another option. Buen Camino🥾

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you decide to use the plastic bin, why not ask Casa Ivar to store it for you. I forget how much the he charges but you can email him and ask… just another option. Buen Camino🥾
I think that the cost of storage and shipping it to Santiago will be many times what the bin is worth.

Sorry but IMHO and as many folks said - definitely an overkill. Other options are available, as been suggested, so please give a consideration
On top of everything else IMHO that plastic bin may also attract unwanted attention. then you have to deal with it on arrival (to wherever you are flying to) and now, I am sure that the good citizens of that country will thank you for bringing a huge piece of plastic there...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a heavy black trash bag using duct tape to wrap it tight and leaving the top grab strap to carry it and to attach luggage tag to. To go home I just ask for a bag from airport hotel and cinch it with the emergency duct tape wrapped on my trek poles.

Thanks for all the replies!!!! 🙏🙏🙏

The problem with bags/wraps... is that they don't protect the backpack's internal frame (I use Osprey Backpacks with a metal frame) from getting bent. I wrapped my backpack on my first Camino, but upon arrival, the airline severely bent the metal frame in transit. In fact, I had to buy a new backpack in Burgos because the frame came loose. 😒

I have used the plastic bins on my last 2 Camino and never had a problem. NOTE: I did wrap them for the return flights, and the frame was slightly bent one of the times.

I guess I will check out the China Shops in Santigo.

Cheers!

The so-called China stores sell this kind of thing. They are everywhere and seem to sell everything, especially if it is made of plastic. Ask in your hotel, they’ll point you to the nearest one.
THANKS for the info... Where is it located??? Name???? THANKS!!!!

THANKS for the info... Where is it located??? Name???? THANKS!!!!
There will be multiple stores in many towns. Ask for a "chino" store. Run by different families usually from Asia. Usually called something like Asia Bazzar or Oriental Bazaar or similar.

THANKS!!!

View attachment 170938
No wheels, and no handles to navigate an airport?😳

THANKS!!!

WayView attachment 170938

THANKS!!!

View attachment 170938
Way over kill. IKEA sells an excellent blue plastic bag. Or simply wrap it in plastic kitchen wrap.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...
Hi everyone: I'm hoping to hike the Camino Frances in July/Aug. I would love to, ahead of time, order and ship ahead a pair of my favorite hiking shoes (Hokas) so that, roughly halfway through...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back