• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Mud and my Angel

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside the river, a lot of slipping and squelching and ankle deep mud in places. Concentrating on the mud. I hadn't noticed the path had narrowed . I slipped tried to save myself with my right pole and there was nothing there I fell face down rolled on my back and then onto my front down the slope. I stopped exactly where I was on the edge of about a 30 or 40 foot drop. Managed to pull myself back on the path. Just as an Australian couple came along. Bent my walking poles cut my chest legs and arms! I decided to put this on the forum to get it off my chest as I can't tell my family as I've still got 3 weeks to go and those who know my circumstances will understand why I can't tell them. But I just needed to say what happened and to thank the angel that was looking over me yet again 🙂. Buen Camino Woody. Be careful

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just have to add that when I try to move the trial there was a Spanish family having a barbecue and I asked them if they could phone a taxi for me!!! Instead, the guy and his son drove me into Pamplona to my hostel and would take nothing for it they were amazing and kind five star Spaniards x

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can you rest a day? Get some new poles? The descent from Alto del Perdon is also sometimes treacherous tomorrow. Can you consider busing ahead to Puenta la Reina to avoid this? I'd hate to see you take another tumble. Stay safe. The Spanish people we have met around the Camino always seem to know what pilgrims need when times are tough.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you rest a day? Get some new poles? The descent from Alto del Perdon is also sometimes treacherous tomorrow. Can you consider busing ahead to Puenta la Reina to avoid this? I'd hate to see you take another tumble. Stay safe. The Spanish people we have met around the Camino always seem to know what pilgrims need when times are tough.
Hi, yeah I've got a rest day in Pamplona woke up this morning and felt my age 🙂 luckily I am 350 m from decathlon. So that problem solved regarding The descent tomorrow I will probably walk the road which I did into Zubiri and have done from El Acebo to Molinaseca prior knowledge is a great asset. There were no warnings about the path into Pamplona. I had realized there was a drop on the right hand side because my pole had gone into thin Air before so it was very cautious but it got really narrow!!! I think being able to see where you're going properly is a bonus haha 🙂 Woody

@woody66 , somewhere here is a thread about a way around the alto; @mspath posted it. I can't look now, but if I find it I'll edit this post.
You just turn right on the road instead of going down the path. Its the A -6056 and then go to the next road and turn left onto the NA-1110. You'll see signs for Urtega as you go down the hill. Follow them onto the NA-6016. You'll come into Urtega and the Camino route just after the Virgin Mary Sanctuary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There were a number of Pilgrim mishaps yesterday on the last few kms into Zubiri. I spoke with a woman at dinner in Zubiri last night. She was about 2 kms from Zubiri when the storm hit at about 3:30 yesterday afternoon. She reached a point when she did not think she could go any further— it was thundering and lightening and hail. She just stopped and stared down the rocky, muddy trail. Just then a couple of locals came along and one of them guided her down step-by-step. There was talk of an American woman who took a bad fall and had to seek medical attention, again with the help of a local.

You just turn right on the road instead of going down the path. Its the A -6056 and then go to the next road and turn left onto the NA-1110. You'll see signs for Urtega as you go down the hill. Follow them onto the NA-6016. You'll come into Urtega and the Camino route just after the Virgin Mary Hi Bill, thanks for the info and to the others that offered help and info I put a 👍 emoji because me being slow I can't find the. 🙏 Emoji! Well now I look really thick cuz it's obviously appeared by saying it but there's the button I was looking for . All the best, Woody

You just turn right on the road instead of going down the path. Its the A -6056 and then go to the next road and turn left onto the NA-1110. You'll see signs for Urtega as you go down the hill. Follow them onto the NA-6016. You'll come into Urtega and the Camino route just after the Virgin Mary Sanctuary.
Not quite what I was thinking of. Here is another option, which sounds very nice, because it includes Eunate:
Follow the CF to Cizur Menor then
from Cizur Menor walk SE on NA6000 roughly 14k to Campanas, then on NA121 SE to Muruarte de Reta at NA601 to join the Camino Argonese. Continue W 10k to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate and 4k further to Puente la Reina on the Camino Frances.
Stay safe and Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Does anyone know if there has been much more rain this time of year, on the el Camino, than in recent years?

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...
Big stupid question: what if, in the middle of a stage, I realize I can't really walk anymore? For whatever reason, fatigue, pain, etc. How others have treated this? Are there buses usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back