• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First time Camino advice??

EllenOd

Time of past OR future Camino
3rd of June 2024
Hi all,

I am walking my first Camino in June. I was told I should bring at least 2 pairs of shoes for walking. I have a pair of ASICS GT-2000 12’s which I’m breaking in, but I’m unsure what to use as my second pair of shoes, I see many people talking about hiking boots/trail shoes but I don’t really want to pay for expensive shoes when I’ll only be walking for roughly 6-7 days. I was thinking of bringing a pair of standard running shoes as well as my ASICS because my hiking boots could be really heavy to carry around, especially if it’s warm, but as I’m not sure what the terrain will by like I’m unsure what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How exciting, your first Camino! Regarding shoes, your Asics don’t need to be broken in. They’re ready to go right out of the box. However, with that said, it’s still a good idea to train and get some miles on your legs and enjoy wearing those shoes. I’m not familiar with this ASICS model, but my trail running shoes have been just fine on all types of terrain. You’ll be all set with those shoes.

I’ve never brought a second pair of walking shoes even for a long Camino. What you might want to consider is a pair of sandals or other afternoon/evening shoes to put on after your walking day is over. Even when I’ve hit rain, my shoes have pretty much dried out by the next morning. Personally, I wouldn’t bring along a heavy pair of hiking boots as back ups. You won’t need them. Even walking just 6-7 days, you’ll enjoy having as light a pack as possible. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Where will you be starting? Boots are probably not needed although some people prefer them. Some people wear hiking sandals such as Tevas or Chacos and many wear cross trainers or running shoes.

I agree to bring 2 pair of shoes, but one is for daily walking and the other evening and letting your feet air out and recover.

Bring pair of walking shoes and lightweight flipflops / sandals for shower.
I prefer sandals (Teva), they're not as bulky than Crocs and waterproof, too.

Hi all,

I am walking my first Camino in June. I was told I should bring at least 2 pairs of shoes for walking. I have a pair of ASICS GT-2000 12’s which I’m breaking in, but I’m unsure what to use as my second pair of shoes, I see many people talking about hiking boots/trail shoes but I don’t really want to pay for expensive shoes when I’ll only be walking for roughly 6-7 days. I was thinking of bringing a pair of standard running shoes as well as my ASICS because my hiking boots could be really heavy to carry around, especially if it’s warm, but as I’m not sure what the terrain will by like I’m unsure what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
I'm June, I liked to take a pair of trail runners (I've had success with Merrell Moabs and Hoka Challengers) and a pair if hiking sandals. Modern trail runners don't need to be "broken in", like the older leather hiking boots did. You just need to wear them enough to be sure they fit well and work with your feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I prefer sandals (Teva), they're not as bulky than Crocs and waterproof, too.
Teva's are nice, but I will add that the Croc brand has added many other less bulky options than the original "Dutch" shoe they were known for. They even make a true flipflop, although I prefer a toeless sandal as they are easier to wear with socks on chilly evenings.
There are other less expensive knock-off brands that are just as lightweight.

Most read last week in this forum

In a quandry about whether to wear my hiking sandals or leather hiking boots on the Camino.
My daughter is coming with me and wondering if a 2-piece swimsuit is appropriate, or if she needs a 1-piece. Suggestions?
Hi everyone I'm really having problems with planning what to pack for my walk from SJPP during mid March. From what I understand the Napolean route will still be closed? And the big headache is...
I'm currently refining my packing list for the Camino Frances, starting in SJPDP on September 24, and walking through to the end of October/beginning of November. While I understand that the...
Any places to grab some before/during the Camino Frances? Don't think I'll be able to grab any in advance.
I will be finishing the first half of the Norte in about 3 days and then transferring to the Primitivo. I have a couple of blisters that my hiking boots just seemed to keep rubbing on and I think...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.