• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chance of a strike at Santiago airport (16 and 17-05 2024)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Does anybody know how it might affect people flying home from Santiago on those days? I might be one of them 🙃

Does anybody know how it might affect people flying home from Santiago on those days? I might be one of them 🙃
Do you have a flight connection in Madrid? In that case I would buy a bus ticket from Santiago to Madrid from alsa.es and tick the option "Cambia o anula sin recargos" which makes it fully refundable and you can return it up to 2 hours before departure (3 euro fee). For 15th and 16th of May you can still get a ticket to Madrid for less than 20 euro and return it if you don't need it

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't booked my flights yet, I'm still about a week from Santiago. I'm just wondering how exactly the strike works - delayed flights? Canceled flights? Is it worth it booking on those days at all, or should I just kick it up a notch and fly home on the 15th? 😉

I would try to avoid the strike by going back earlier or later. Just be aware that the closure of the Vigo airport for upgrades has caused a lot of increased flight traffic at the Santiago airport. It is going to be busier no matter what.

Well, so it's going to be a couple of really long days for me... thanks for the advice!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, until the end of May the airport of Vigo has been "moved" with its air traffic to Santiago. If someone doesn't need to fly to or from Santiago in May, it seems wise to avoid the Santiago airport and risk delayed or cancelled flights.

A Coruna wouldn't have occured to me - thanks for the tip!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you have a flight connection in Madrid? In that case I would buy a bus ticket from Santiago to Madrid from alsa.es and tick the option "Cambia o anula sin recargos" which makes it fully refundable and you can return it up to 2 hours before departure (3 euro fee). For 15th and 16th of May you can still get a ticket to Madrid for less than 20 euro and return it if you don't need it
Good idea but just be careful how you, or anyone else, manages this. If you have a two sector booking say SDQ - MAD - PRG and ‘no show’ for the first sector it can invalidate the 2nd sector, if you have one. These restrictions are nearly always overruled in times of disruption, so no need to over stress, but it’s worth considering a call to your booking agent/airline should you go with this good idea!

Last edited:
In a very uncharacteristically Zen frame of mind, I have decided to just sit back and see what happens. My flight is scheduled to leave Santiago at 9:00 am on the 17th, to connect with a flight to the US. I figure they will get us home somehow. And I also know that European rules about taking care of passengers are far more protective of us than is the case in the US.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And update from me - booked a flight from A Coruña. The flight was overbooked, so I had to stay another day, finally was able to fly today, only to find out on arrival that they lost my checked bag in Madrid... 😀 so, yeah, flying from A Coruña helped, but not that much.
Michal

And update from me - booked a flight from A Coruña. The flight was overbooked, so I had to stay another day, finally was able to fly today, only to find out on arrival that they lost my checked bag in Madrid... 😀 so, yeah, flying from A Coruña helped, but not that much.
Michal
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Air travel isn't as fun as it was when I was a kid. Hope you and your bag will make it home together.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This was not a full-fledged strike, but if you were one of the unlucky ones whose flight was cancelled, it doesn’t matter what they called it. My flight to Madrid from Santiago today was late, which cut into my 65 minute connection time, but I made it fine.

All should be back to normal tomorrow (18th).

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Air travel isn't as fun as it was when I was a kid. Hope you and your bag will make it home together.
I made it home, my bag didn't so far, but should be here in a couple of days. These small annoyances aside, I had a great camino, when I manage to process it a little bit, I might share my expereince and ideas on the forums. Thanks againn for the tips!
Michal

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back