Camino in Finland?

JR9162

Nov 2, 2018
Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (5/1/2018 - 1007 km in 39 days)
Camino France's (4/10/2019)
I've tried to search for information regarding the existence of sections of the Camino de Santiago in Finland. I am interested in a connection to the Camino in Estonia which begins in a location across the estuary from Helsinki. This trail continues to Latvia and onward through Lithuania to connect to the Camino in Portugal.

Does a section of the Camino exist in Finland and where can I obtain information about it?

Thank you!

John

Reactions: dougfitz
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
I haven't heard of a dedicated Camino route in Finland. I quite literally stubbed my toe on a pavement marker for the Lithuanian Camino last year though. There is an excellent long-distance walking site called Traildino which might give you some suggestions of walking routes to connect with the Lithuanian and Polish Caminos.

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
May 25, 2019
Near Canterbury
umap.openstreetmap.fr
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard
I've got a possible Camino from Riga (family links) on my list - but close to the bottom.

Tried searching St James and Finland and got this. Perhaps you should search for links to St James in Finland, join them up, and make your own Camino.

Reactions: JR9162
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Sep 20, 2009
I've tried to search for information regarding the existence of sections of the Camino de Santiago in Finland. I am interested in a connection to the Camino in Estonia which begins in a location across the estuary from Helsinki. This trail continues to Latvia and onward through Lithuania to connect to the Camino in Portugal.

Does a section of the Camino exist in Finland and where can I obtain information about it?

Thank you!

John
Hello @JR9162
A few years ago I was interested in setting off from Finland, too, then walking on through Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania into Poland. I collected information and posted it here on the forum. In the end I improvised a trail, walking from Tallin via Riga and Vilnius to Krasnapole (2017). I am still hoping to walk in Finland one day....

These links may be useful.

Finland: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finland.41001/#post-415575

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland :

Resource:

All the best with finding your way.
-Lovingkindness

Last edited:

Jakke

Jul 10, 2016
Finland
Several in Poland, Finland, Portugal and Spain

Thank you!

John
Hi John, Rev. Kalle Elonheimo (kalleelonheimo at gmail.com) is the person to ask. The Oxen Path from the castle in Hämeenlinna / the church of St.James in nearby Renko to the port of Turku is the Finnish Camino. I did it in 2009 on my bicycle and found then that it was not easy (or cheap) to find accommodation. Things may have changed since then.

benny aumala

Nov 2, 2015
Rovaniemi, Finland
may-june 2016
may-june (2019)
One of the oldest camino maps show the extreme starting point in Finland as HATTUTA.
In the matter of fact it is HATTULA, the "St Cross Church" from 1324. Coordinates 61.04.22 and
24.39.00, The church is open in summertime. There the camino started towards Åbo / Turku.
In RYMÄTTYLÄ was "St Jakob Church" from about 1300. The journey went on by
rowing or sailboat to Sweden.
I do not know exactly how the camino went in Sweden, but one sure place is Vadstena, a closter
founded by St Birgitta, who herself visited Santiago two times.
We have some cameneras who made it all from Hattula to Santiago de Compstela.

Attachments

• 01 Pyhän Ristin Kirkko - Hattula.png
    01 Pyhän Ristin Kirkko - Hattula.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 02 Rymättylä - Pyhän Jaakobin Kirkko.jpg
    02 Rymättylä - Pyhän Jaakobin Kirkko.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 03 Birgitta.jpg
    03 Birgitta.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 26
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

benny aumala

Nov 2, 2015
Rovaniemi, Finland
may-june 2016
may-june (2019)
As Jakke told...
Renko is on the Oxen Path from Hämeenlinna to Turku.
There the "St Jakob Church" is from late 1400.
The coat of arms show oxe (Oxen Path) with pilgrims staff and shell of pilgrim.

Attachments

• 04 Renko Coat of arms.jpg
    04 Renko Coat of arms.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 05 Renko - Churh of St Jakob.jpg
    05 Renko - Churh of St Jakob.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 15

Jim

Dec 31, 2005
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre

Thank you!

John
I think it is meant that the trail connects from Lithuania to “Poland”, not Portugal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
May 25, 2019
Near Canterbury
umap.openstreetmap.fr
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard

PenaV58

PenaV58
Aug 25, 2017
Finland, Vantaa
Kuten aiemmissa postauksissa jo mainittiin, Suomessa Pyhän Jaakobin polku alkaa Hattulasta ja menee Naaantaliin. Tässä muutamia linkkejä suomenkielisille sivuille, Google kääntää ne sinun kielellesi. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give us some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...
While walking on the Via Francigena last week in Italy, we discovered that Bags Free now offers day by day baggage transport on the section from Lucca to Rome, and -- like in Spain -- it can be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.