• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice sought for wounds on feet from walking

Diarmad

Time of past OR future Camino
Na
Day four of my journey and suffering blisters, friction burns and shoe bite on feet. Boots are ankle high hillwalkers.

Tended to situation using blister gel plasters and tape then double socks but abrasions and blisters have multiplied. Concerned for the coming weeks.

Can any kindly pilgrims offer advice for prevention and treatment? Got one deeper shoe but wound on one heel, 10 - 14 developed or emerging blisters and a linear burn across one ankle. Started the day with only the wound on one heel and one small blister. Travelled today down the Montes de Léon.

Can say a bueno camino as an internal experience otherwise.

Cheers and warmly

Attachments

• IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    845.4 KB · Views: 3,008
  • IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    983.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    869.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    881.6 KB · Views: 76
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get yourself to the nearest Centro de Salud and get those properly assessed and dressed.

After that I would suggest throwing your current footwear in the nearest recycling bin. If they’ve done that to your feet in four days they don’t fit or suit your feet. How many days walking had you done in them before you started?

Edit: sorry if that seems brutal but you’re not going to get to Santiago with those feet in those boots

Rest and new shoes!

The boots are not working for you - maybe the heat is causing swelling, damp socks (rain or sweat) can also cause issues - I have pair of boots I can wear at home in Ireland but in Spain caused me misery. So it's probably new shoes... and make sure you get your feet out to air out every break you can.

But as above get them checked out medical too! And probably a couple days rest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Stop immediately and get your feet taken care of. They will only get worse if you continue. So sorry that happened to you. As a person with sensitive feet (bunions) I had a bag full of things to take care of my feet and what I found most helpful was lamb's wool and Compeed.

… and socks. I wear one pair then change every two hours into another. I hand the first pair via safety pun on the back of my pack.

Massage your feet night and morning. I just went to the chemist at 19.30 on a Sunday to stock up!

I second heading to the Centro de Salud. This is a Camino, not an ordeal!

All best… and keep us posted. Many of us have been there!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Crema pies con urea highly recommended!

image.jpg

Yes to most of the above - wrong footwear .. replace but go light, trekking sandals or trail runners - forget boots!
If you get yourself repaired and then walk in them again you will immediately undo all they did.
So get to a town with trekking shop (go by bus or taxi) - then get feet done and then buy footwear.

I echo the advice above. First stop tomorrow - medical centre. What you are describing is beyond basic first aid, no matter whether it's cream's, compeed or whatever.

The Doc will also likely echo the rest of the advice : rest. New shoes, preferably something lighter, breathable, and better fitting ( including at least a half size larger). Or, dare I say it, swapping to socks and sandals.

Then take note of some of the other good advice given to prevent future issues, such as massage, swapping your socks over every couple of hours and letting the sweaty pair breathe. Let alone your feet at every rest stop!

Good luck

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is another one in Calle Mayor I just heard of. Two local people I know from Pamplona use that shop and recommend it highly.

IMG_5786.jpeg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, buy new trainers after medical care, but don't buy them to fit, get them one half size or more bigger, depends on how much your feet swell on long hikes,. I've seen so many problems caused by "comfortable" footwear, when your feet swell they aren't so comfortable!

Sound advice above.
My own experience is that as soon as I feel a niggle or hot spot I need to stop immediately and deal with it. In the past I have pressed on, saying to myself "it's only another 1km, then I'll do it". Poor decision on my part as a hot spot soon becomes a blister.
Dealing with it for me might include all or any of - changing socks, drying skin, taping (Micropore), vaseline and or change to sandals.
At breaks I always remove footwear and socks to air and dry them and my feet.
It's a bit trial and error but I mostly get it right though last week I had to pause outside Najera for preventative first aid.
I hope you're soon back walking.

I agree with most of the above.

See a doctor. Resign yourself to taking a few days rest in order to let your body restore itself.

While resting, drink water.

I wear mid-high boots during my Caminos, so the style of boot is not necessarily the problem. However, if it is the wrong size or shape - "last" - for your feet, they will not work. You may have to go for a different brand. Each brand makes a slightly different shape shoe. You broke them in before you started, right? And got them a half-size larger than usual, right (to accommodate your nice, new, soft socks)?

Especially, don't ignore the advice on proper socks. I assume you are using wool, not cotton. Do you use sock liners or toe socks?

Keep your blisters clean and as dry as you can. Walk slowly to give your body a chance to adjust to the new demands you are putting on it. Don't rush, the Camino is not going anywhere.

And, for the moment, neither are you (wink, wink).

Don't lose heart, pilgrim. You are not the first to get blisters in the beginning, you will not be the last.

Visit that doctor!! You want to make it to Santiago, don't you??!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As others have said, consider your shoes. Are they long enough and wide enough?

I highly recommend injinji synthetic liner toe socks underneath wool mix hiking socks (in roomy shoes - I wear hiking shoes that are 2-21/2 sizes bigger than my street shoes (to accommodate the socks and some arch support inner soles).

The synthetic Injinji socks wick sweat away from your skin - no need to change socks. The two layers of socks move the ‘shear’ that causes blisters to between the layers of socks instead of between your skin layers!

If you use a Compeed plaster, you should be leaving it on until it falls off naturally.

Great advice above. I don’t think anyone else has mentioned this though: the double socks you tried may have made your boots even tighter, thus multiplying the blisters.
I always wear Wright socks because they have a built in liner, and they work well for me. If you are going to buy new socks as well, make sure your new footwear has plenty of room for a double layer sock.
Do not walk on with your feet in that condition.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hope you've gotten some actual medical attention since writing this post, and that you've been able to stay off those feet! If not, I would just add the advice to make sure you're taking measures so those wounds don't get infected in the meantime. Antibiotic ointment, or if you don't have any products like that available, at least wash them with some strong alcohol from a bar or something.

I also use the double layer socks mentioned above. They are marketed on Amazon in UK as blister free socks. I always get the more expensive ones and until now have worked well.
When I was researching before my first Camino I can remember a warning not to wear two pairs of socks.

When I was researching before my first Camino I can remember a warning not to wear two pairs of socks.
There's always someone advocating for it against something. I like the double layer socks because I'm too lazy to wash two pair. 😄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In addition to changing socks often, I also change my shoes midday, from trekking sandals to trail runners or vice versa depending on how I started the day, as usually the two different types of shoes won’t pressure your feet in the same areas so you are building in healing time even while you walk.

Day four of my journey and suffering blisters, friction burns and shoe bite on feet. Boots are ankle high hillwalkers.

Tended to situation using blister gel plasters and tape then double socks but abrasions and blisters have multiplied. Concerned for the coming weeks.

Can any kindly pilgrims offer advice for prevention and treatment? Got one deeper shoe but wound on one heel, 10 - 14 developed or emerging blisters and a linear burn across one ankle. Started the day with only the wound on one heel and one small blister. Travelled today down the Montes de Léon.

Can say a bueno camino as an internal experience otherwise.

Cheers and warmly
Hi,
We've all been there at some point so I feel your pain, so to speak! Here's an old Highland trick that Highland drovers, and Scottish pilgrims like me use... sheep's wool! If you can lay your hands on some just pull the prickly little burrs etc out and put it down into the back of your socks. I put them just under my heel so when I put my hiking shoes on it pushes the wool up a little and covers that part of the heel that tends to get the blisters. Apparently sheep's wool has a very high lanolin content that can help prevent blisters. It acts as padding, compresses tightly so doesn't feel uncomfortable and can be re-used for days at a time just remember to remove it from your socks each night to allow it to dry from all the sweat. I just gather it from fields, barbed wire fences and occasionally from farmers. NOTE: DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU HAVE BROKEN SKIN-HIGH RISK OF INFECTING THE WOUND! Result? No blisters for me. Also I put it into the front of my foot over my little toes, another spot that likes to blister.

Related question: for those of you who take off your shoes and socks at breaks to air out your feet... this is at breaks on the road right? You wouldn't do this at a bar or cafe? (I mean, I'd like to, but I think it would be considered rude and uncouth in my culture, I wonder if it's the same in Spain? Probably a dumb question.)

Maybe I could take off my shoes and socks before I get into a bar/cafe, switch to my sandals, and then undo the process after I leave....

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Personally, I at the very least slip my shoes off; if sitting outside my socks too. I've been in several places where I was actually encouraged to do so by the staff. There's a bar on the Inglés where the owner also brings you a stool to put your feet up if it's not too busy! (A few kilometres before Bruma - unfortunately I forget the name, but it's rather famous)

Same timeframe for my blisters. My error was getting a pedicure before I left. One part of the pedicure was that they file off your calluses. My blisters were brutal. At least 12 of them and 4 were oozing blood tinged serum like a deep second degree burn (I am a family physician) . I had to take off two weeks to heal and then finished the Camino with the same boots.

Personally, I at the very least slip my shoes off; if sitting outside my socks too. I've been in several places where I was actually encouraged to do so by the staff. There's a bar on the Inglés where the owner also brings you a stool to put your feet up if it's not too busy! (A few kilometres before Bruma - unfortunately I forget the name, but it's rather famous)
Bar Casa Avelina

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I hope you've gotten some actual medical attention since writing this post, and that you've been able to stay off those feet! If not, I would just add the advice to make sure you're taking measures so those wounds don't get infected in the meantime. Antibiotic ointment, or if you don't have any products like that available, at least wash them with some strong alcohol from a bar or something.
Hand sanitizer. It's alcohol. It comes in small, light packages. It's widely available in (I think) groceries. I second the paper surgical tape, and also some gauze to pad on a blister. Changed daily even if your feet don't sweat so much that it all comes off when you take your sox off in the evening.

I also use the double layer socks mentioned above. They are marketed on Amazon in UK as blister free socks. I always get the more expensive ones and until now have worked well.
It depends on how tight the shoes are. Double socks can also provide cushioned relief for feet. I used them with no blisters.

Rest, more comfortable socks, more roomy shoes or boots, and REST !!

I've found that going barefoot and popping your feet out into direct sunlight, even if the rest of you is comfy in the shade with a cool cerveza, really does help.

Commiserations, good luck, and Buen Camino !!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I highly recommend engo pad that go into your shoe to stop friction points. I was getting a hot spot on one foot where my orthotic met the side of my shoe. Couldn't really tell there was a ridge there, but, after many kilometers, I knew there was a point of friction there. The engo pads are fantastic. Here's their website https://goengo.com/ and more about them from the guy who wrote "Fixing Your Feet." https://www.fixingyourfeet.com/engos-new-blister-prevention-products/

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all! We finished our Camino yesterday and are in town for 2 more days before onward travel. I need somewhere to get my feet checked. I've got large blisters on the balls of both feet, that...
Taking suggestions on the topic.
Had to go to the medical clinic (centro de Saude) in Pallas de Rei (blisters) they told me without health insurance they are not able to see me as they have not got the facility to charge me ...
Any experience in using Frio bags? It is going to be used for insulin pens.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.