• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Definition of a Pilgrim 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankybaby66

Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . .
I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile.
'The definition of a pilgrim is someone who haemorrages vast quantities of money to outdoor clothing stores, for the privelege of living like a homeless person for 6 weeks' 🤣
(no homeless persons were harmed in the making of this post)

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . .
I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile.
'The definition of a pilgrim is someone who haemorrages vast quantities of money to outdoor clothing stores, for the privelege of living like a homeless person for 6 weeks' 🤣
(no homeless persons were harmed in the making of this post)

Buen Camino/Bom Caminho!

Reminds me of Dolly Parton who said: "It costs a lot to look this cheap." :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't have a thick wallet and I know for a fact that everything I bring on the camino I have been wearing for years on my caminos. If you go to closeouts on websites and amazon you can pick up things super cheap. For example, I have an REI backpack that I bought 4 years ago in their outlet store for $70US. Of course I wrote to @davebugg to see what he thought and he told me to jump on it. It is light and holds everything I need and easy to pack and unpack. My only major expense is my Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners and if I shop carefully like I did this year I got a brand new pair for $75. My next largest expense was my Altus Poncho that I had to buy as my other one was starting to fall apart. Sleeping bag from Decathlon $30US (had to get a new one 3 years ago) My shirts, pants, underwear and socks were about 200 total and have been wearing them all for years, except for my socks. I have an outer synthetic layer and a super light down coat that I bought from REI also for under 100 total about 4 years ago. So I know things have gone up since then but you don't need to come close to breaking the bank to be on the camino. If you take care of your stuff it takes care of you. I have been wearing some of these things on 8 caminos over 12 years.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't have a thick wallet and I know for a fact that everything I bring on the camino I have been wearing for years on my caminos. If you go to closeouts on websites and amazon you can pick up things super cheap. For example, I have an REI backpack that I bought 4 years ago in their outlet store for $70US. Of course I wrote to @davebugg to see what he thought and he told me to jump on it. It is light and holds everything I need and easy to pack and unpack. My only major expense is my Brooks Cascadia Trail Runners and if I shop carefully like I did this year I got a brand new pair for $75. My next largest expense was my Altus Poncho that I had to buy as my other one was starting to fall apart. Sleeping bag from Decathlon $30US (had to get a new one 3 years ago) My shirts, pants, underwear and socks were about 200 total and have been wearing them all for years, except for my socks. I have an outer synthetic layer and a super light down coat that I bought from REI also for under 100 total about 4 years ago. So I know things have gone up since then but you don't need to come close to breaking the bank to be on the camino. If you take care of your stuff it takes care of you. I have been wearing some of these things on 8 caminos over 12 years.
Glad the post amused you 😄

Glad the post amused you 😄
I am not so sure what you mean? I am considered to be a funny guy by those that know me. I know your quote is funny, but at the same time, my personal belief system tells me the money that people spend for camino clothes borders on the obscene. As always, my opinion is as worthwhile as the paper it is electronically written on. But it is funny and my comments were not directed to your post.

Tips: chop the handle off your tooth brush to save 10gr, use an eye drops bottle for hand sanitizer to save 90gr (because you'll only need 8ml of hand sanitizer on a 3 month backpacking trip) Wear your clothes inside out to get another days wear! Only bring one pair of underwear!
I don’t feel well…

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Pilgrim clothes have an excess of pockets. Sometimes theres even a pocket on a pocket.

Pilgrims have a colour spectrum of dark, light and grey grey, aquamarine and purple.

Pilgrims scrutinise the wine list with a worried look, then declare happily that anything will do.

I am not so sure what you mean? I am considered to be a funny guy by those that know me. I know your quote is funny, but at the same time, my personal belief system tells me the money that people spend for camino clothes borders on the obscene. As always, my opinion is as worthwhile as the paper it is electronically written on. But it is funny and my comments were not directed to your post.
I think that what @Frankybaby66 was meaning that he was waiting for the joke in your post. I have to say I was - I read all the way to the bottom before I realised you were serious !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that what @Frankybaby66 was meaning that he was waiting for the joke in your post. I have to say I was - I read all the way to the bottom before I realised you were serious !
I knew it was a joke. But at the same time the amounts of money people spend blows me away. Thanks for your comment. You always have something positive to add.

I don't have a thick wallet and I know for a fact that everything I bring on the camino I have been wearing for years on my caminos.
It is not only a matter of hardware weight.
The pilgrim who told me that was a young Swiss pilgrim without so much money: he was camping under its tent, which involves an heavy backpack, especially because he was obliged to carry food too.
At the opposite, I was flying from albergue to albergue, with frequent stops in bars... my backpack was less heavy than my belly...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is not only a matter of hardware weight.
The pilgrim who told me that was a young Swiss pilgrim without so much money: he was camping under its tent, which involves an heavy backpack, especially because he was obliged to carry food too.
At the opposite, I was flying from albergue to albergue, with frequent stops in bars... my backpack was less heavy than my belly...
Flying . . . that's an option I've not considered before . . . 😄

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Planning on parachuting in to Praza do Obradoiro?

I wonder what the minimum distance is to get your Compostela if you fly 🤔🤔
Probably need some fancy algorithm that takes into account if you had checked luggage,whether you drank alcohol, if you used the bathroom, and the maximum altitude you reached etc etc
You also need to get your credencial stamped by the flight crew . . .

Probably need some fancy algorithm that takes into account if you had checked luggage,whether you drank alcohol, if you used the bathroom, and the maximum altitude you reached etc etc
You also need to get your credencial stamped by the flight crew . . .
Flight crew? Checked Luggage?
That’d be taking skydiving to a whole new level!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
[Edit: and there's a 3rd: ]

... those who walk with next to nothing because they didn't have a big backpack in the first place nor a fat wallet to fill it with ...
That's the part, that is depicting me.
A bumpack for 10€ and good boots (200€) was all I bought for my first Camino in 2019.
All the other equipment I owned already, most of it for years.

With expenses averaging 23€ per day I call it "Pilgrim on a budget". 😂

Oh come ON you folks this is super EEEEEASY!:
A Pilgrim is NOT a person who is a Tourist.
All these endless threads, posts and discussions and you couldn't figure it out?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh come ON you folks this is super EEEEEASY!:
A Pilgrim is NOT a person who is a Tourist.
All these endless threads, posts and discussions and you couldn't figure it out?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You can only claim an answer is easy if someone actually asked a question. . my post was simply a humorous quote.
Let's not get into the tourist/pilgrim backbiting . . .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can only claim an answer is easy if someone actually asked a question. . my post was simply a humorous quote.
Let's not get into the tourist/pilgrim backbiting . . .
I believe my 1/2-dozen laughing faces adequately conveys that the post is made in the same humorous spirit as your initial post\thread, so, yes, lets not get into any backbiting.... ☮️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back