Money taken from my Cash Passport! ☹️

Bryonydays

Mar 21, 2022
UK
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese planned for April 2022
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe. Unfortunately after checking my balance today over €300 has been taken. The transactions are online ones to Amazon and Deliveroo. The only time I used my cash card was in Biarritz and St Jean as I have been using my cash since then. I spoke with the card company and they have blocked my card and are looking into it. I thought I’d share it here - be careful if you are using a card. I always have been, so was really surprised this has happened!
I’m not going to let it spoil my Camino though!
Buen camino to anyone currently on Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe. Unfortunately after checking my balance today over €300 has been taken. The transactions are online ones to Amazon and Deliveroo. The only time I used my cash card was in Biarritz and St Jean as I have been using my cash since then. I spoke with the card company and they have blocked my card and are looking into it. I thought I’d share it here - be careful if you are using a card. I always have been, so was really surprised this has happened!
My credit card was hacked in 2022 in Spain. I have learned since that I can freeze or turn the card "on and off" online before and after I use it. It does happen unfortunately and as a result it is always good to have a backup card of some kind. At the time my card was hacked, someone in Paris was ordering clothing at H&M with my card and also buying a bus fare in Valencia...I was in a remote albergue location on the Aragones with limited cell service and no internet and did not see the transactions until the next day as a result when I regained service. The CC company shut down my card account right away, but unfortunately it was the best card for "points". because I was itinerant, they just mailed me a new card back home in the US instead of trying to track me down at an albergue somewhere on the Camino. Really a pain...

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Portuguese/Frances 2020/Norte 2021
My credit card was hacked in 2022 in Spain. I have learned since that I can freeze or turn the card "on and off" online before and after I use it. It does happen unfortunately and as a result it is always good to have a backup card of some kind. At the time my card was hacked, someone in Paris was ordering clothing at H&M with my card and also buying a bus fare in Valencia...I was in a remote albergue location on the Aragones with limited cell service and no internet and did not see the transactions until the next day as a result when I regained service. The CC company shut down my card account right away, but unfortunately it was the best card for "points". because I was itinerant, they just mailed me a new card back home in the US instead of trying to track me down at an albergue somewhere on the Camino. Really a pain...
Me too. I was asleep in Spain and someone bought a kitchen unit on my card at Home Depot, in Carson City, Nevada. I wouldn’t have minded but I am of no fixed abode and don’t own a kitchen! I freeze my cards a lot but got caught that time. My bank is great and they refunded the money straight away. Sure it will get sorted. A previous attempt when I was in Central America was thwarted when they tried to buy an Apple Computer amongst other things. Whatever the outcome carry on! It won’t change your life!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Undermanager

Veteran Member
May 5, 2015
With many travel cards now, you can order digital versions, which are then on your phone. You don't need a physical card to make payments although you do for taking money out of an ATM. You can instantly replace a digital card, can use it, then block it, then unblock and use it again. Always worth getting your head around digital cards.

Oh, and never check balances etc unless you are using a VPN. The biggest no no is using a public WiFi system or the WiFi in an albergue - asking for trouble!!

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
With many travel cards now, you can order digital versions, which are then on your phone. You don't need a physical card to make payments although you do for taking money out of an ATM. You can instantly replace a digital card, can use it, then block it, then unblock and use it again. Always worth getting your head around digital cards.

Oh, and never check balances etc unless you are using a VPN. The biggest no no is using a public WiFi system or the WiFi in an albergue - asking for trouble!!
I was ready for that. I put my credit cards in my digital wallet and used them. Then, using my e-cards in Europe too many times without physically putting them in the machine and entering the PIN triggered the fraud detection algorithm. They sent a text for me to confirm it was me, but I had a different SIM in my phone. Just sayin' proceed with caution.

K_Lynn

Buen Camino!
Jul 19, 2021
Edmonton, AB,
Frances 2021, Ingles 2023
I have set my accounts to text and email me when any purchase is made over $5.00 which is always a nice reminder that I spend too much and often more painful with exchange rates. I also lock and unlock my accounts as needed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

bullingtonce

Jun 25, 2020
North Tustin, California
I plan to do the Ruta de la Lana in August/September 2021
Good for you; such a good and healthy perspective.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
Cash almost always works. I use cash almost exclusively.

The only time my DEBIT card comes out of my pocket is to get cash from an ATM, actually attached to a real bank. These are the most secure.

I also maintain a separate bank account, with only enough money for my Camino. I have a debit card on this account.

If I get hacked, or the DEBIT card lost or stolen, my exposure does not exceed the account balance. I can go online to move funds into or out of this special account.

This sounds more elaborate than it is. But it works.

Hope this helps.

Tom

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
never knew you could freeze/unfreeze cards, that’s useful

I do it all the time. Did an ATM today in a country known for ATM fraud and froze straight after. Actually thanks for reminding me as still frozen and would have forgotten to unfreeze before I buy a coffee on morning. Always do that! !

You can also play around with contactless limits abd triggers as to when your PiN is required.

I also get notified immediately for every single transation and have to approve the vast majority of online transactions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue127

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis

Oh no. Is this a problem with Cash Passport. I also lost $AU120 and they refused to refund as they insisted I had authorised the transaction when it was clear that I hadn’t. There were many email exchanges I actually found that I couldn’t make online purchases with the card. I wondered is someone who actually works for them is scamming. I was going to use it again in a few weeks because it’s all set up but I think I’ll order a Wise card instead.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Oh no. Is this a problem with Cash Passport. I also lost $AU120 and they refused to refund as they insisted I had authorised the transaction when it was clear that I hadn’t. There were many email exchanges I actually found that I couldn’t make online purchases with the card. I wondered is someone who actually works for them is scamming. I was going to use it again in a few weeks because it’s all set up but I think I’ll order a Wise card instead.
Have you weighed up the costs of cash passports / travel cards versus your normal bank card?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I've done this while on the Camino the last couple of years. Easy to do on the bank's app.
Oh no. Is this a problem with Cash Passport. I also lost $AU120 and they refused to refund as they insisted I had authorised the transaction when it was clear that I hadn’t
As far as I know, credit cards offer more protection against fraud than other types of cards.

jwcurry

Jun 1, 2022
Salem, Oregon USA
del Norte & Frances
Would 2 factor authentication, as in a series of number/text sent to your phone, help prevent this?

How about biometrics?

Now, you do have to make sure you don't lost your phone.....or, well, your thumbs.

However, having your password isn't going to be good enough.

I too get notifications of expenditures. However, as one person noted....this might not be of help when you are out of communication while walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Goyo

Jan 14, 2023
México
Fall 2023
I do it all the time. Did an ATM today in a country known for ATM fraud and froze straight after. Actually thanks for reminding me as still frozen and would have forgotten to unfreeze before I buy a coffee on morning. Always do that! !

You can also play around with contactless limits abd triggers as to when your PiN is required.

I also get notified immediately for every single transation and have to approve the vast majority of online transactions.
So, TravelingMan22, care to divulge the name of the country known for ATM fraud🧐?

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
So, TravelingMan22, care to divulge the name of the country known for ATM fraud🧐?
Sure in this case, Romania. Not a million times worse than other countries but on my radar to ‘immediately freeze’. South Africa, Central America, and a few others come to mind. I guess it’s in my mind because of the recent huge case around ATM scamming albeit that occurred in USA, albeit not on Romanian soil.

Not a slight on Romania or Romanians btw. There are as full of integrity and honesty as everyone else. Most countries/ cities seem to have their own ‘look out fors’ whether it’s phone snatching, pickpockets, drugging drinks, Tinder meets, and so on. Of course once a reputation starts it’s hard to lose.

I caught a train from Budapest here, which is known for two scams amongst others. Fake tickets inspectors on the metro, and the bar bill bill scam. Had them both attempted on me on a previous trip!

It’s worth always checking the major local scam, which doesn’t mean you ignore the ones that happen less often.

The Camino is about as safe as it gets and incidents are rare and opportunities to scam are very small outside theft. Sadly women have to employ similarly levels of safely tactics as they do elsewhere. No one need panic. No one needs a training trip. Get used to the security on your apps. No one need to carry wads of cash , etc.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Bryonydays

Mar 21, 2022
UK
Camino Portuguese planned for April 2022
Hi. I’ve used Cash Passports for years and this is the first time I’ve had a problem. As soon as I realized what had happened I contacted the helpline and they froze the card immediately. Thankfully I had the 2nd card with me so I can use that. They are looking into it and I’m hoping I’ll get my money back.

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis
Would 2 factor authentication, as in a series of number/text sent to your phone, help prevent this?

How about biometrics?

Now, you do have to make sure you don't lost your phone.....or, well, your thumbs.

However, having your password isn't going to be good enough.

I too get notifications of expenditures. However, as one person noted....this might not be of help when you are out of communication while walking.

No. Mine was somehow skimmed. A weird story but as I said I ended up thinking it was an employee of the organisation. Anyway this thread had me applying for a Wise card. I started today and even their application stage was more vigilant than the Cash Passport.

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis
Hi. I’ve used Cash Passports for years and this is the first time I’ve had a problem. As soon as I realized what had happened I contacted the helpline and they froze the card immediately. Thankfully I had the 2nd card with me so I can use that. They are looking into it and I’m hoping I’ll get my money back.

Good luck. Even though it was absolutely obvious I didn’t make the transaction and sent many detailed explanations they still didn’t give me a refund.

• Sad
Reactions: Bryonydays
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Mar 6, 2024
New Zealand
May - June 2024
I use a Virtual Debit card currency wallet, since arriving in Spain over a week ago I have had no problem and found it easy, and acceptable to pay using either by watch or phone.
It provides notification of a purchases and the ability to change the virtual card intermittently as needed.
I carry the physical debit card for machine cash withdrawals only.
Overlaying all of this is using a VPN and an eSim for data and not having to rely on Wi-Fi.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
I don’t use WISE or any similar product but I got an email from them this morning saying their fees had changed as I am registered. It didn’t really mean much to me as a non-user. You should have an email listing changes and a fees calculator to check what it means if you are a customer or registered.

Mar 6, 2024
New Zealand
May - June 2024
To set up requires a time frame prior to departing your home country, maybe too late to implement if already away.
A typical currency wallet charges upon converting from one currency to another, WISE is cost effective, I know from first hand experience, ease of use and reasonable charge.
I can testify most places so far on the del Norte have a facilitated cash less transactions, pay via debit card

Reactions: Salash
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo aka 伟思礼
Nov 23, 2015
2015–2018 (partial)
The CC company shut down my card account right away, but unfortunately it was the best card for "points". because I was itinerant, they just mailed me a new card back home in the US instead of trying to track me down at an albergue somewhere on the Camino. Really a pain...
This is why I keep recommending one have at least two cards, and not from the same bank or credit union.

Apr 14, 2023
Porvoo Finland
17.9 to 1.Oct 2023
Good for you; such a good and healthy perspective.
I am sorry to hear your loss. It used to happen at simple shops awhere the copied your card or drew the card twice without you noticing it.
It must have happened in one of the places where you used the card. So sorry. Happy to hear you were not travelling alone.
Buon Camino

Reactions: Bryonydays

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
To set up requires a time frame prior to departing your home country, maybe too late to implement if already away.
A typical currency wallet charges upon converting from one currency to another, WISE is cost effective, I know from first hand experience, ease of use and reasonable charge.
I can testify most places so far on the del Norte have a facilitated cash less transactions, pay via debit card
It’s cost effectiveness probably depends on what part of the world you are from and what card deals you have!

Reactions: trecile
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

dfox

Dec 14, 2008
As a precaution:

I do not give my debit card and credit card to any person in any establishment in my home and foreign countries. My cards are always in sight.

Malicious people can duplicate debit/credit cards in very short period of time.

Reactions: Camino Chrissy

Salash

Road less travelled
Sep 24, 2017
lutruwita (Tasmania), Australia
2019, 2023, 2025🤞
I now have a Wise card, and much prefer it to my Cash Passport.
On my last Camino I only had a few hundred dollars on my CP/p in case of emergency. Can't remember why I went to use it, but found it was frozen. Emails back & forth, to no avail. Was so glad I'd opened a Wise account! Cashed out my CP/p once I got home.

Reactions: Molly Cassidy
Mar 6, 2024
New Zealand
May - June 2024
It’s cost effectiveness probably depends on what part of the world you are from and what card deals you have!
WISE and REVOLU are Debit cards. In the case of Wise there is an initial one off cost for the physical card, I don't think Revolut has cost for the card.
Both are stand along companies not banks, offering double authentication, bio metric access.
The user cost is when converting from one currency to another.

€149,-

Margaret Butterworth

Jun 16, 2014
Perth, Australia
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
This year I travelled to Spain with both a WISE card and my usual bank credit card. This was handy when I wanted to pay for a visit to an important monument. The Mastercard system was down throughout the area, so my Westpac card was useless. Fortunately WISE is with Visa, so I was able to use that.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Old Kiwi

Jan 5, 2019
New Zealand.
Hi Kathymac, I do not know the best time to start there. I personally start about mid June I one started towards the end of May. When starting at these times, the weather seems to be settled. Not as wet as April - May and not as hot as August - September. People usually start when they can get time off work or other times when it is convenient to for them.

Reactions: David Tallan

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.