• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why walk the Portuguese Coastal Camino?

Parksville

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese,SJPP Finistere, Francigena, P. Coastal
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's cool. Wind. But the boardwalk is under repair. Be vigilant of the closures

When i walked in 2021 there was an awful lot of board walks that were under repair then; perhaps it's just an continual cycle!

For me the Coastal and Espiritual Variant was a great first walk choice ;it had everything i wanted from the walk and more the Spiritual was the icing on the cake!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have a great blog and love all the details! I live in a beach town and the friend I went with does not. We both wanted the ocean views and the breeze. We walked 16 days in June and I think I only got sweaty twice! Absolutely lovely from the waves to the streams to the river crossings. Water calms my soul. And the mostly flat part didn’t hurt either.

You have a great blog and love all the details! I live in a beach town and the friend I went with does not. We both wanted the ocean views and the breeze. We walked 16 days in June and I think I only got sweaty twice! Absolutely lovely from the waves to the streams to the river crossings. Water calms my soul. And the mostly flat part didn’t hurt either.
Thank you for reading and commenting. I live in a beach time as well but never ever tire of being on the water. I was surprised though how much of the coastal route actually was not on the coast. :D

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
Thank you for reading and commenting. I live in a beach time as well but never ever tire of being on the water. I was surprised though how much of the coastal route actually was not on the coast. :D
If you plan correctly and stay on the littoral and off the main coastal camino route you will be on the water alot more.

It really depends where you live. Within 15 minutes of my home I'm in the dunes and at the beach (wide, quiet and except here and there not touristy). For me the Littoral/Coastal was the opposite. I felt as if I was walking from one vacation town to another. Not my cup of tea. Further north on the route the coast becomes more rugged which I liked more.

So, if you are landlocked the coastal maybe something for you.

This is a great reminder. Fortunately, we did not experience any closures on this trip but it is good to remain flexible, just in case.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you plan correctly and stay on the littoral and off the main coastal camino route you will be on the water alot more.
We had friends who did that and loved staying on the coast. We tried to stick to the "coastal trail" and take it wherever it lead us. The diverse scenery and terrain was incredible.

This is a great reminder. Fortunately, we did not experience any closures on this trip but it is good to remain flexible, just in case.
Laburge section is now repaired?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
We didn't stop there but we may have walked around it.

When deciding which route to take for our recent Camino, my husband and I finally decided upon the Portuguese Coastal Camino. Here were a few of our reasons (including length/time/terrain). If you have walked this route (or will walk it in the future), I'd love to hear your reasons. https://retirementreflections.com/2024/07/08/portuguese-coastal-camimo-summary-reflections/
Regarding your kilometers, it depends on where one begins. Stinging nomads as the other references may have started somewhere different hence the km difference. I always take the km given as an estimate. Buen Camino🥾

I did my first camino this past April. I walked from Baiona to Santiago de Compostela. I followed the coastal route, and I absolutely loved it. As I have hear so many say, I am hooked, and I am already planning my next one. Buen camino.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back