• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to find cPAP medical supplies on the Camino?

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Well, this is a bit embarrassing…
I’m getting ready to fly out to Madrid in just a couple of days (yay! The hurricane is not headed this way!). A little while back, in preparation, I put together a packet with supplies for my cPAP machine, specifically nasal mask cushions and filters. I thought I was all set but I just noticed I can’t find them anywhere. I might have accidentally* thrown them away mistaking them for already used items 🤦. I do have a few spare nose pieces, but no air filter, I was supposed to put a new one today. I imagine that I can keep reusing what I have, but I’ve been trying to find online medical supply stores in Spain. I’ve managed to find a couple, but I’m not clear if they carry products for my particular brand (iBreeze by Resvent).
I suppose I could ask a local Farmacia. I’ve seen my items listed in Amazon, but I’m in the US and I don’t know about ordering/delivering when there’s a second country involved. Worst case scenario, I could keep washing the filter, but I’m curious what else I should consider. I also might need to replace the tubing if something happens to it with all that jostling around.

*I wonder if that’s my subconscious rebellion against my cPAP… I wish I could throw away the whole thing…

Of course, I’ll probably find them the minute I get home!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ouch
I thought I was all set but I just noticed I can’t find them anywhere. I might have accidentally* thrown them away mistaking them for already used items
Ouch. I've always replaced filters before I leave, and for some, only worry if they start to collect a lot of dust or other detritus. At that stage, I am happy to wash them in mild soapy water, rinse them well and dry them out. I have a face mask that should be cleaned daily, but I'm not always that consistent, and sometimes I will clean the contact surfaces with an antiseptic facial/hand wipe to remove anything that might stop it getting a good seal.The tubing gets a rinse every week or so.

I think the only maintenance I am really consistent with is the machine's drying routine, and that gets done every morning. It takes about 30 minutes to complete, but I am doing other things while it is going through that routine.

I don't really know what prospect there is for getting supplies at a local famacia. What they might be able to do is identify who carries such supplies, perhaps in a larger town, so you can go straight to them on arrival somewhere.

I think a phone call ahead in that case would allow them to get something delivered in time for your arrival.

Good luck

Check Amazon. Saw at least 2 vendors with delivery by Wednesday.
Try a local medical supply company in the morning if that doesn’t work. Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Quick search
I suppose you'll need to contact them for specific parts

Call your usual supplier or you can try a local medical supply house, such as Aerocare. They might have location near you where you can go and pick supplies before you go to the Camino.

I've just been through this process to replace a mask that died while we were on the Norte. You can certainly start the process by asking at the local Farmacia, but most of them know nothing about CPAPs! We found they usually directed us to an Ortopedia, which supplies many types of medical devices, but the only ones supplying CPAP gear were supplying local Spanish brands. We eventually contacted head office of the brand we use, who put us on to the local distributor, who told us there were no suppliers in the area we were in. Using their supplier list, we were eventually able to replace the mask on the one day we were passing through Barcelona. Hope that gives you some ideas. Good luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.