Where do you carry your valuables?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Telboyo

Jul 3, 2018
Glastonbury England
Time of past OR future Camino
I intend to leave the UK the day Before Brexit and walkMarch -April 2019 Camino Frances
I must be an exception to the rule. I kept my national passport, credencial and wallet in the top pocket of my rucsac. I like to know where things are. At albergues they would stay in my bag when I went to the shower my phone would be left on my bed or plugged into to a socket to charge.
The vast majority of people in an albergue are probably very honest and unlikely to steal from others, by taking my stuff into the shower there is greater chance that I will forget it when finished. I lost 2 or 3 phone chargers leaving them behind in the mornings.
A place for everything and everything in its place

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Do you mean 2 of each? 2 ccs and 2 bank cards? And they would be stashed separately ( 1 of each in pack, say, the others in person)?
That's what I do - two CCs and two Debit cards. The backup cards are kept hidden.

Reactions: Jamieb

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Do you mean 2 of each? 2 ccs and 2 bank cards? And they would be stashed separately ( 1 of each in pack, say, the others in person)?
I take 1 bank and 2 credit cards, all carried on my person - normally in fabric wallet inside my pants, but moved to my cross-body bag if I expect to use one. Never in my back pack! I virtually never remove the cross-body bag, and I switch the interior pouch from my walking pamts to evening pants when I shower. Those two pouches are simply not to be lost.

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo aka 伟思礼
Nov 23, 2015
2015–2018 (partial)
As a British person I have just nervously googled ‘fanny pack’ in a busy Spanish bar! Thankfully it showed me the ‘USA version’!
An Australian explained that to me when I (from USA) wondered "Why do we call it a "fanny pack" when nobody wears it on their fanny?" (USA "fanny" = British "bum")

Reactions: trecile
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
An Australian explained that to me when I (from USA) wondered "Why do we call it a "fanny pack" when nobody wears it on their fanny?" (USA "fanny" = British "bum")
Waist pack or bag seems more accurate to me.

Sharonih

Nov 17, 2016
Vancouver Island, Canada
CF (SJPdP to Santiago) March 15, 2018
Hi all,
I'm wondering what system do you use to carry your valuables (passport, cash, credit cards etc)? Do you reccomend carrying them outside the backpack in some sort of a fanny pack? In your pocket, so they are on you at all times? I'm thinking about situations like going to the bathroom in a café, where I don't suppose I'll be wearing my main backpack :)
Any insight and tips much appreciated,
Michal.don
I use a money belt around my waist or neck to carry all valuables, with getting my passport out discreetly before getting to my Albergue. Bonus is my pack strap has a discreet pocket that I carry my daily cash in that I take out every time my pack is off

Kari204

Feb 3, 2017
Virginia, USA
Walked CF April/May 2018
Planned CF April/May 2023
So I'll avoid some details, but nowadays nearly ALL transactions for me take place using my iPhone and ApplePay. My phone is kept in my pocket, so I can take pictures, look up places to see, monitor GPS directions, etc. I pay for nearly everything with my phone. Passport/credential kept in special pocket in brain of backpack and pulled once a day and immediately put back where they belong once used each night. Cash, never more than 200 euro carried and usually less, carried discretely.
Hi Damien - Just curious, like you I use ApplePay for everything at home. My question is - Is ApplePay, or digital payments in general, widely available along the Camino (Spain)?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
F

Former member 92300

If a "fanny pack" that I wore at all times except in the shower and depending on where I was and who I was with... sometimes I removed while I slept. But it always went in the shower with me and at night it was always in a locker, in my sleeping bag, or worn around my waist. Yes - I slept with it on at night quite often - didn't bother me at all, just shifted it to a comfortable position. Nothing of value was in my backpack. At least - nothing that I couldn't survive without if stolen.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Hi Damien - Just curious, like you I use ApplePay for everything at home. My question is - Is ApplePay, or digital payments in general, widely available along the Camino (Spain)?
You can use Apple Pay or Google Pay anywhere where you can use contactless "tap to pay" credit and debit cards.

Reactions: Kari204

Kanga

Veteran Member
Jun 2, 2005
Sydney, Australia
www.jillhill.com.au
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
My passport, mobile phone, and a tiny wallet (two credit cards and a bit of cash) go in the deep pockets of my skirt. One of the main reasons I wear a Macabi is for the pockets, including the clever inner security pocket with a zip that is upside down.

I am now so used to pockets, and it is so automatic to put my wallet and phone in them, that I run into trouble without them. Only yesterday I donned a summer dress (with no pockets) and managed to leave my wallet and phone at home.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
I am now so used to pockets, and it is so automatic to put my wallet and phone in them, that I run into trouble without them.
I started buying hiking trousers with zipped pockets specially for my long distance walking years ago. My mobile phone, passport, credencial, cash and bank cards all fit in the pockets in waterproof pouches. I quickly realised how useful the zipped pockets are and these days I rarely wear any other trousers even when at home.

My valuables, I keep them in my underpants. With the family jewels.

When I read your post my thoughts somehow shifted towards "Pulp Fiction" and the story of the watch.....

Reactions: dougfitz
Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
When I read your post my thoughts somehow shifted towards "Pulp Fiction" and the story of the watch.....
I didn't remember this so I looked it up.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dec 23, 2013
Huntington Beach, California
See signature.
Absolutely. Basically anywhere that takes credit cards. They all have wireless handheld terminals.

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
Absolutely. Basically anywhere that takes credit cards. They all have wireless handheld terminals.
I haven't been on Camino since the BC days (Before Covid). If ApplePay is "absolutely" widely available as an option along the Camino, that's a fairly big change over the past couple of years. Before that, outside of towns the Camino was primarily a cash economy and I would withdraw a few day's worth of cash when I was in a town with an ATM.

Anthony18

Jan 17, 2018
Miami
Hi all,
I'm wondering what system do you use to carry your valuables (passport, cash, credit cards etc)? Do you reccomend carrying them outside the backpack in some sort of a fanny pack? In your pocket, so they are on you at all times? I'm thinking about situations like going to the bathroom in a café, where I don't suppose I'll be wearing my main backpack :)
Any insight and tips much appreciated,
Michal.don
I wore Columbia hiking pants that that zipped off into shorts. I would carry my wallet in my front pocket and my pilgrim passport along with my travel passport in the opposite front pocket. Never had a problem. There were times when I actually slept with my valuables in my pockets. I would NEVER recommend leaving your wallet, passports, or phone in your backpack. If it gets stolen, your trip will be over for sure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

malingerer

samarkand
Jan 28, 2014
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
As if I'm going to tell the Internet where I stash my stuff!!!!!!!

:) In my pockets. In a dry bag in the showers. In a body belt in any Pickpocket Central. Never separated from me, ever. And you may be my best new Camino buddy ever but, no thanks, you don't get to look after my stuff.

Just remember that for a predator waist belt bag means worthwhile target
My valuables came attached to me at birth :)

Samarkand

Dec 23, 2013
See signature.
I haven't been on Camino since the BC days (Before Covid). If ApplePay is "absolutely" widely available as an option along the Camino, that's a fairly big change over the past couple of years. Before that, outside of towns the Camino was primarily a cash economy and I would withdraw a few day's worth of cash when I was in a town with an ATM.
Well I'm on Camino #5 in the last two years and you can trust me the change has happened.

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
Well I'm on Camino #5 in the last two years and you can trust me the change has happened.
It has. Buskers and big-issue sellers in rural Cumbria have handheld payment devices now.

I still wouldn’t set off on Camino without a decent amount of cash though.

(Damien - is that moustache new or have you recently changed your avatar?)

Reactions: Camino Chrissy
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Reactions: henrythedog

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
Both! I shaved the beard the day I arrived in Portugal! I changed my avatar tonight...
Change it back Damien, trust me.

(This from a man who uses a picture of his dog so as to not frighten those of a nervous disposition)

Reactions: Damien Reynolds

€46,-

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
Both! I shaved the beard the day I arrived in Portugal! I changed my avatar tonight...
I remember when I shaved my beard everyone commented that I had grown a moustache, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dec 23, 2013
See signature.
Honestly?

No.

The full on beardy laughing-at-the-world Damien, was better.

I don’t intend to hurt, I’m as ugly as sin and don’t look down on anyone.
Maybe I can try a laughing at the world mustache dude. I mean I don't want to false advertise. That's my mission for tomorrow as I head on a short ass day to Coimbra.

• Love - Red heart
Reactions: henrythedog
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Dec 23, 2013
See signature.
I think your new Avatar looks great.
Ahh. You're sweet. Take that dog dude. Now I don't know what to do. But either way, this thread should not be about my avatar.

It should be about using and carrying the least amount of cash possible and doing so in the most efficient and secure way.

Jodean

Veteran Member
Aug 17, 2015
Frankfurt, Germany
www.frankfurtonfoot.com
2015CF, 2018CP, 2018CF,
2022CF, 2023CF, 2024CP
I like using cash. Living in Germany, I pay for almost everything with cash even though I have an EC debit card. It keeps me on budget. The Camino is the same. Everyone has their preferences and for me, cash is easier. Guess I am just old school.

Nekai

May 11, 2023
Northern CA
July 2023 (short stretch)
Spring 2024 (longer)
Old school, yes, but they work! Put them on with your underwear and you'll never loose either.

Pickpockets *love* fanny packs. Thank you for identifying yourself as dumb American tourist, an easy mark!

Apologies to UK readers who have a different definition of the term "fanny".

-Paul
Yes, I learned in Oz to call them "bum bags" even though "bum" has a different meaning in the US.
At least it's not a meaning that relates to a specific body part, though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

RolfMagener

Sep 17, 2020
USA
F 19, Norte 21, Primitivo 21, Portugues 21, VLP 22
For daytime use whilst walking I use a Eagle Creek hidden pocket that attaches to my belt and tucks in or I put it in one of my cargo pockets in my pants... For evenings or shower time or out on the town I put everything into my PacSafe mini pouch and lock it to the bunk bed. One even can fit electronics such as pones and small cameras in it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.