• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

What's it like to walk a Camino in winter?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked alone in winter from SJPdP to Samtiago in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009. Later years I finished autumnal caminos in December .

I never had a reservation and always carried my pack staying usually in Xunta albergues often the sole pilgrim, but also in back rooms of an open bar/restaurant.

In winter hospitaleros usually knew what was open on the next section. There were no summer crowds and beds/bunks were available.

Walking off-season during those past years I rarely saw more than 20 pilgrims at one time. There usually was a strong sense of camaraderie amongst those of us on the route especially during storms or difficult stretches.

Difficult CF stretches after storms could be; the Valcarlos route up to Roncesvalles (as you know the Napoleon route is closed from November to April), across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca, Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, Monte Irago and, of course, to and from O Cebreiro. You must be prepared for snow in the mountains.

Many who go at this time wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in cold weather

For any winter camino I also stress this bit of info re: carrying food supplies.

Many of my earlier posts on the forum describe winter walking. If you would like further info please just ask.

Happy planning and Carpe diem!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Much of above is great info!
Just a few other things
Depending where in the world you come from you may find it odd that heating in most albergues and accomodation is switched off at night.
- always carry food! And a microwaveable container. I also carry a few dried herbs and spices and stock cubes that can improve lots of simple meals and help you make friends!
- getting clothes washed and dried is more difficult in winter generally needing a tumble dryer - definitely worth negotiating with fellow pilgrims to share loads! And I carry an extra pair of underwear and socks than I do in my summer kit.

But I have always enjoyed winter caminos - even the locals on the CF who get fed up in main pilgrim season seem to mellow a bit to the crazy folks walking in winter.
-

Also, off season, unless you are walking only the last 100 km or so from Tui or Sarria, no organized pack transfer is available, so you need to be prepared to carry your own things.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is nice. Fewer pilgrims. More rain than summer. On the CF, fewer pilgrim dependant cafes and albergues are open, but almost always somewhere to stay. The few pilgrims usually get to know each other since there are limited places to stay. You all tend to end up at the same places.
What period (month(s)) did you walk?

I do most of my Camino walking in winter. The quiet and the low pilgrim numbers appeal to me. It does mean a heavier pack than in summer with warmer clothes and a heavier sleeping bag. There are also far fewer albergues and bars available so you do have to be prepared for longer stages.

What period (month(s)) did you walk?
I walked last year in June, December, and January. My husband has also walked in December and in late November. We have been hospitaleros two years for the last 2 weeks of December.

This year we will walk in February for a week or 10 days on the Via Francigina Italy. Then we will walk 2 weeks on the Camino Frances to our hospitalero service in Grañón in March and then some on the Via de la Plata in early April.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Just a shout out to all the wonderful people currently out on the trail. This is not easy and you are out here doing it with grace, humor, and compassion! Currently dealing with lots of rain and...
No, not me, but Jamie O'Connell, 'What is a pilgrimage if you are not religious?' in today's Irish Times: 'What I grew to enjoy was the messages (graffiti) that had been left by others along the...
I enjoy threads that have a themed topic of pictures, where members can join in with their personal favorites. @David Tallan is in Salamanca and in looking through my own photos of its cathedral...
Hi, I did the French Camino from August 25th to September 17th, starting in Saint Jean Pied-de-Port. An amazing experience that I can't get over from :-). Met so many people that gave me joy...
Hello, I’ll be in Leon tomorrow and need to know what’s the best way to get a stomach bug treated. I’m an American btw. Thanks!

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back