• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Water availability

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra '15; Levante-Invierno '19
We will be doing the Salvador late May-early June-ish so I'm just wondering if there are stretches with limited water available ie bars, tiendas, fuentes or the odd servo. And how much water do people tend to carry. We will be taking our time on this Camino due to age and injuries and I'm trying to limit how much the other half tries to take with him lol.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We did the Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo last year in May/June and l carried only 600mls water and found no problems with getting more if needed. I actually carried another bottle half full but never touched it. Always stopped to refuel with OJ/ aqua con gas/coffee at bars. Our ages 70 & 71 then.
Beautiful caminos

Some parts of the Salvador are remote compared to other routes. I´d take at least 1 litre each, more if it is hot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I walked (end of June/beginning of July) my water bottle (about one litre) was sufficient for me. There were sufficient places to refill (or stop for something cold). Daily distances were such as to make it a six day walk for me.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.