• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with an injury

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
As an experienced pilgrim of ten years I have, unfortunately, developed a repetitive injury to my left foot (neuroma) which means covering the long distances daily on the route is not always possible, depending when the injury flares up...

I am looking for any advice on how to accommodate the problem? I am fully aware that folks with disabilities cover do walk el Camino constantly...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A friend of mine suffers from this. Initially she was prescribed surgery which she refused. Subsequently she was advised to change her footwear to wider fitting shoes, and prescribed custom orthotics. Someone suggested she changed the stack height of her shoes too, she now wears ultra lone peaks daily, and whilst the problem occasionally still reoccurs (generally when she does two or three long days back-to-back) she has found that really helps.

I chatted with her before writing this, she says when it does reoccur she puts pads under the balls of her feet, ice's the affected area, and takes diclofenac (moderately strong anti-inflammatory).

Good luck!

Edited to add: she just messaged me to tell me that when hiking she now uses poles which changed her Gait. Apparently this helps

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A friend of mine suffers from this. Initially she was prescribed surgery which she refused. Subsequently she was advised to change her footwear to wider fitting shoes, and prescribed custom orthotics. Someone suggested she changed the stack height of her shoes too, she now wears ultra lone peaks daily, and whilst the problem occasionally still reoccurs (generally when she does two or three long days back-to-back) she has found that really helps.

I chatted with her before writing this, she says when it does reoccur she puts pads under the balls of her feet, ice's the affected area, and takes diclofenac (moderately strong anti-inflammatory).

Good luck!

Edited to add: she just messaged me to tell me that when hiking she now uses poles which changed her Gait. Apparently this helps
As a retired podiatrist and sufferer of the aforementioned neuroma I wholeheartedly agree with the above. I had mine removed which worked well for several years but it came back! Wider shoes than before and an adhesive pad on a relatively normal insole made all the difference. Ice and anti-inflammatory help too.
However I would suggest getting advice especially of the shape size of adhesive pad you or a podiatrist will need to cut out. Good luck

Good luck!

Thanks for your assistance

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday I began stage one of my Camino Frances from SJPP to Léon! I finished at Roncesvalles after 9 hours of the challenging but absolutely gorgeous hike from SJPP. However the intensity of the...
What OTC meds can you get in Spain for GERD?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.