• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking maps for the Camino

mstensen

Hello walkers;
I wondered if anyone could tell me where and how to get good walking maps for the Camino; in my case the Via Podiensis from le Puy. I'll be arriving late Saturday and walking off Sunday, so I don't want to risk not getting any maps from a closed tourist office... Anyone have any good suggestion, of Internet-store or what exactly to look for?
Thank you, in that case!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Go to the cathedral, and you can buy a Miam Miam Dodo with maps, accommodations, and phone numbers. It may be available for sale at the 7 a.m. mass.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you do not get a book before you arrive in Le Puy, look for shops called Librarie, or even the Tabacs/Journaux. You can pick up little books in French called TopoGuides (cost 3.90€). The one I have only covers the part from Figeac to Le Romieu (near Condom) so it looks like you will need three to cover the whole Via Podiensis. It is just possible that other books may be stocked in English, because this is the starting point for the walk. At the worst, you will at least be able to follow the maps. If you can manage it get a small dictionary, or before you go write a list from the internet of all the words you think you may need, and phrases. eg. droite - right, gauche - left, fourchette - fork, sentier - path, prendre a droite - take the route to the right, chemin - farm track or tarmac small road, sort or sortir - leave/exit, bout de falaise - cliff, parcourir/emprunter/suivre/franchir/remonter/poursuivre/passer are all words that mean follow, cross, take etc. If you get internet access while en route go to http://www.gr-infos.com - click on the british flag. Click on the GR65 plus the first section and this will show you the map in detail, and give you all the places you can stop for the night, phone numbers, etc. Carry on clicking down the list. It is very comprehensive. When you are in the bigger towns check out the tourist offices for further information and help to book you accommodation. Mairie's in the villages will help you but a lot are only open on certain days of the week in the countryside because the people who work in them also work as farmers, etc. But if you are really stuck and you can manage to ask someone for Monsieur le Maire, you maybe lucky and get taken to see him or someone from the Mairie, to arrange somewhere to stay. I am sure that all the places on the route are used to lost/homeless pilgrims searching shelter for the night. Good luck. I live in Aquitaine, not far from the GR65. If you need somewhere for an overnight when you are near either Lauzerte on the GR65 or Pujols on the variant GR652 send me a message. I wont be here for three weeks in May (11th to 31st) but before or after - happy to help. Ange

Thank you so much for kind and helpful replies!
You gave me some very useful hints and advices, which I'll make use of right away!
Coming closer to going off on my first Camino, and alone, I get more and more anxious to make sure I've got it figured out right...
Thanx again! And thank you Ange for your generous offer; I'll keep that in mind.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I am starting to plan my second Camino, focusing on Le Puy (although a little tempted to return to the Norte/Primitivo/Fisterre of my first Camino in Spring 2023... maybe next time!). I've...
My husband and I have just finished The Portugues da Costa. We were surprised to find that a number of pilgrims used apps. to find the shortest routes between A and B. This often meant they were...
Hello community, apologies if this has already been asked or if it is not relevant. I was thinking of doing a Camino (starting around end of November) and I am doing some research on which one...
Hello pilgrims, Buen Camino! My name is Tinway. I began our journey from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on April 12 this year. I met a lot of nice and kind people and some of them even became my...
Hello from Canada! I am interested in doing the full camino Frances in Fall 2025. I have done many bike trips in France on my own carrying my stuff on my bike but for the Camino I am looking to...
Good day to all fellow pilgrims past and present. This month holds something very dear to my family and friends of my brother who recently suddenly passed away. This month I’m not sure of the...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back