• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Walking Camino Vasco Interior in March

CRP

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata
Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not it is reasonable to consider walking the Vasco Interior in early March?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Most of the Vasco Interior is walkable year round except the day from Zegama to Agurain Salvatierra when the route climbs up through the San Adrian tunnel. It depends on snowfall - when, how much etc whether the pass is walkable or even if you feel comfortable with some snow- but equally by March it could be clear. This can probably only be called closer to time - but there are public transport options if you find out at Zegama that the conditions are snowy.

I walked from Vitoria to Burgos in January a few years ago and all albergues were open. More relevant may be jcat's account in March

Thanks a lot for your response. It is helpful and appreciated. Most of our camino walking has been done in March, so we have walked snowy trails. It’s good to know that there are public transpo options in Zegama. Thanks again.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not it is reasonable to consider walking the Vasco Interior in early March?
I think it is very reasonable. I walked it last December and had a great time. Buen Camino!

Thank you for your response. I enjoyed reading what you posted last March. Your photos are lovely!

Pilgrims albergue of Beasain opens door in March so it's perfect. But be prepared for a mud festival.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.