• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Walking Camino Frances in sandals?

Amelialee

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Hello beautiful people!
I am planning to walk my first Camino (French way) this September and have a question.
After reading threads about walking in sandals, I decided to walk the Camino in my Keen Newport sandals.

My question is: Can I wear the sandals indoors (like in albergues)? I know my shoes would be dirty after walking but I'm wondering if I clean them before entering the space, would it be fine?

I want to pack as little as possible and lighten my backpack weight.

Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you so much!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will be asked to remove your walking footwear when you go into the albergue. You can bring a pair of flip flops or lightweight slides to wear inside. Or, if you are comfortable with it you can wear just socks in the albergue. I ended up doing that one year when I only had my walking sandals.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Good question - I have been wearing my Keen Newport sandals on Caminos for years now - best footwear!! as indoor sandals can be a little bulky and I loathe flipflops I go barefoot but if cool put socks on when indoors.
but that is me - though ... many pilgrims are concerned about hygiene in showers so wear their indoor sandals when using them.

I bring a pair of Teva hiking sandals and wear them 85% of the time. Then socks in the Albergue

Albetgbu
Albergues say you to leave dirty footwear and poles outside. There is often not a place to wash / clean them outside.

I carry a pair of light flip flops to wear indoors / toilet etc and even to stroll out to the shops.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm thinking about life 1,000 years ago. If given a choice, would I wear for a pilgrimage the sandals I assembled in my shed, or would I choose the brand new, spiffy, light weight, correctly sized, colorful, durable, trail runners Jimmie, from out of nowhere, gave to me in a Shazam!moment? I thought so. The downside is I would have to sleep with them under my pillow . . .

Most read last week in this forum