• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • October the 12th 2004 I posted the first post here on this forum. 20 years have passed. Thank you for being such a good group of people and for hanging around. More here in this thread. All the best from Santiago, Ivar
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Walking back

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
May/June (2014)
April-June 2023
My husband, Jim, and I have walked the Camino Frances twice from SJPP to Santiago, in 2014 and 2023. We are now retired in our mid-60's and would like to pilgrimage again in 2026. However, this time we are seriously thinking about going in reverse: beginning in Santiago and ending in southern France. We realize that by pilgrimaging this way, we will miss out on the Camino Family aspect of the walk. But we love the idea, not only of the different perspective of a familiar route, but of completion, of "returning home". If you have walked the Camino Frances heading East instead of West, I'd love to hear your perspective and advice!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I've walked contrariwise on a few Camino routes over the years. Never for long. If you're seriously planning to walk the Frances against the tide I think you'll need to plan carefully. You'll need to carry your packs as there's no reverse luggage transport. You'll need a large placard bearing the slogan "No we're not! We're walking home": preferably translated into all known Camino languages and Klingon just in case.

If you want to use any of the Municipal, Paroquial and other exotic Albergues you'll need copies of your Compostela.

Apart from that.... It'll be a great opportunity to get a suntan on the other side of your face

If you want to use any of the Municipal, Paroquial and other exotic Albergues you'll need copies of your Compostela.
Which presumably first you would have to obtain by walking at least 100 kilometers towards Santiago. I doubt they would consider a Compostela from 2023 appropriate.

Oh, if you want to translate "we're going Home" into Klingon, there's the 'learn Klingon' group on Facebook:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum