• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Volunteering at the Pilgrim Welcome Centre

JDAcadie

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: Camino Portugues Sept-Oct 2023
FRANCE:
le 29 septembre 2024
Travel Blog
Musings on Midlife’s Misadventures
Part Two:

Bon! Où commencer? Thousands of people from all over the world walk through these doors where Diane and I are volunteering. They are coming to start a possibly 820 km pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain… called El Camino Francés. There are many Caminos to hike, but this is by far the most popular. Only one day is hiked in France… through the Pyrenees. Then you are in Spain the rest of this Camino.

SJPP is a Unesco World Heritage Site… a delightful, medieval type little village. We hope to explore its many nooks and crannies, little side streets, bistros and shops, but we are going to be working very hard and well, hopefully, at this volunteering job!

We received a very quick training from José, François, Herman, and Yvette from Pao, Lourdes, the Netherlands and Biarritz respectively, and twenty minutes later we were on our own, and it was freaking crazy! Talk about TOTAL Immersion.

We will be working long hours, 7:30 am to 12:00 noon, a two hour lunch break, then we return from 2:00 to 8:30 pm! On the weekend, we have an hour break and return AGAIN at 9:30 until 10:30 PM!

This is almost slave labour, for heaven’s sake! OMG! Be careful what you wish for? Kidding aside, this is a once in a lifetime experience. I can’t even begin to describe the high I am on!

Attachments

• IMG_9183.webp
    IMG_9183.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_9186.webp
    IMG_9186.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_9182.webp
    IMG_9182.webp
    865.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9190.webp
    IMG_9190.webp
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9193.webp
    IMG_9193.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9194.webp
    IMG_9194.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9195.webp
    IMG_9195.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you get free accomodation while volunteering in Saint Jean?
What about food? From @David Tallan thread about Salamanca there seems to be a deal where hospitaleros get some discount at one restaurant but i guess that is not the case everywhere.
Is it possible to volunteer if you do not speak French?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do you get free accomodation while volunteering in Saint Jean?
What about food? From @David Tallan thread about Salamanca there seems to be a deal where hospitaleros get some discount at one restaurant but i guess that is not the case everywhere.
Is it possible to volunteer if you do not speak French?
This was not being a “hospitalero/a.” This is completely different. One of our team spoke minimal French. The rest of us were bilingual and trilingual.

This was not being a “hospitalero/a.” This is completely different. One of our team spoke minimal French. The rest of us were bilingual and trilingual.
VOLUNTEERING: Day One

September 30th, 20 Travel Blog
Musings on Midlife’s Misadventures

Day One:
Our first OFFICIAL day of volunteering. What a day! We were was SO, SO busy. We had 234 pilgrims come through our doors. A few were finishing a Camino they started in France, like El Norte, or Puy en Velay. However, the majority were starting El Camino Francés.

I registered pilgrims from SIXTEEN different countries: France, Spain, Germany, Italy, US, Canada, The Netherlands, Brésil, Ireland, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, India and Taiwan. In all, we four volunteers registered pilgrims from THIRTY-TWO different countries.

Here at the centre, we provide our own breakfast but a caterer provides a huge lunch with enough leftovers for supper, every day. Our accommodations, while very basic, are free.

Pilgrims arrive here excited, nervous, worried: they run the gamut of emotions. We are here first and foremost, to reassure them, inform them, register them and send them on their way happier and reassured.

These pilgrims are happy and so grateful… they can’t thank you enough. They want you in their photos getting their credential. They donate items, or a few extra Euros…

I spent the entire day skipping between English, French and Spanish. It was hard on my brain and for a lot of people, you are speaking to them in your third language and they’re speaking to you in their second or third. We manage to communicate though. Everyone smiles. No one gets upset. Not yet anyway. In other words, I have yet to meet a PITA= Pain in the Ass!

Just that alone, makes these long, crazy busy days, worth our while. C’est beaucoup valorisant, ce bénévolat.

Emily from Mississippi comes to mind. She is a 75 year old who had a new knee put in two years ago. Her orthopaedic surgeon said “You go for it, and send me pics!” when she told him she was planning on hiking a camino. She is alone and frankly not in good physical shape, but if anyone can do this Camino her way, it is THIS powder keg of a woman. She is one determined lady: she is full of piss and vinegar. I SO admire her. As we say in Spanish “ Ella tiene cojones!”

Then there is a young Taiwanese man who has walked from Lisbon to Santiago and from Santiago onto to SJPP. He has done TWO Caminos! He must have come in here three or four times looking for information. He was so excited and so happy to be here. It was contagious, his exuberance and “joie de vivre”. I think he was just beside himself!

At almost 8:30 pm, when we were about to close our doors for the day, Kevin came back in with his supper in a big bag, his HUMONGOUS backpack on his back, and countless objets hanging off carabiners.

Come to find out, he has NO place to stay for the night. The operator of the “Municipal Albergue” just up the street from us, had come in earlier to let us know she had one bed left. Does the Camino not provide? As Kevin tells us this, in waltzes the same lady. I immediately advise her of this young fellow’s situation and without skipping a beat, she taps him on the shoulder and says, “Let’s go!” Away they went!

It was a great way to end our day!!! Actually though, it wasn’t the end. We closed our doors to the public and then… we had to tally all the money that we took in for the credenciales, plus we had to tally the number of pilgrims who came from every single country.

We have to give those numbers and that money, to our patronne Monique, done for every single day, at the end of our week of volunteering.

It was after 9:00 pm before we sat down to supper.

Lights out and in bed by 10:30.

To be repeated tomorrow! Lucky me… and I mean it! Bisous de SJPP!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love this and so wish it was me. Being unilingual english, not sure I would be a good candidate.

There was a thread a while ago about volunteering at the Pilgrims Office in SJPP. @Monasp responded and included a PDF about how to volunteer there. You do need to be able to speak French.

Attached is a document explaining how to become an SJPDP volunteer.

Here's a screenshot of the PDF.
1000037480.webp

There was a thread a while ago about volunteering at the Pilgrims Office in SJPP. @Monasp responded and included a PDF about how to volunteer there. You do need to be able to speak French.

View attachment 179803
One of our team member’s French was minimal. Not even conversational, just basic high school French vocabulary.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Loved reading about your experience at the Pilgrims Office!! I had asked how to volunteer there and received the information posted above. I submitted the required info in September but have heard nothing yet. I sent another email tonight. I don’t want to be a pest but if I can’t volunteer in SJPP, I’d like to look for another opportunity.

View attachment 179803

I'm going to make this a personal goal of mine: learn enough French to volunteer at the Pilgrim's Office. I would love nothing more than to welcome pilgrims as I've been welcomed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey, my name is Joe and I live In Colorado Springs, Colorado. Just beginning the planning process for the Camino. We are shooting for late September/October of 2026! One question tho... can we...
Hi there pilgrims! I am a new member and I would like to introduce myself. My name is Frans van der Hulst and I live in the Netherlands in a town called Leiden. In May 2025 I hope to walk my first...
Howdy, I am a Texas Aggie and a novice at walking the Camino. I am doing the Camino Frances for the first time beginning in mid May 2025. At this time, I am doing it solo but originally wanted to...
I'm looking to get from Pamplona to SJPP on Aug 2nd, 2025. Any ideas how to get there? i see a taxi is 295 Euros and im travelling on my own.
FRANCE: le 29 septembre 2024 Travel Blog Musings on Midlife’s Misadventures Part Two: Bon! Où commencer? Thousands of people from all over the world...
Hi! I'm starting the Mozarabe on Oct 24. Does somebody knows a second hand shop selling trekking poles i Mälaga? /patrick 2015: Camino Frances 2007-2019: Sweden - Santiago 2019 and 2022: Camino...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back