• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates

RodrigoD

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! We had originally intended to walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates but it looks like the route is unsupported. How is the walk, if anyone has done it? We would rather avoid walking along a highway if possible. In the “Wise Pilgrim Guide” the path appears as pink, unlike the official paths. Our intention is to connect to the Central from the Coastal.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello! We had originally intended to walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates but it looks like the route is unsupported. How is the walk, if anyone has done it? We would rather avoid walking along a highway if possible

I'm not sure what you mean by unsupported but yes, hundreds of thousands of people have done it. It is not on a highway as such, but there is a stretch of a few hundred metres along a busy road with no shoulder and care is needed. Otherwise it's fine, with good services along the way..

Last edited:
I just walked Vila do Conde to Rates last month and it was easy to follow. Leaving VdC was the trickiest part, as there are two routes out of the city. We took the "river" route and it was a lovely walk. Met some folks at the albergue in Rates that evening who took the "aqueduct" route and they didn't have good things to say about it. You can see both routes in the WIse Pilgrim app. (Also: the donativo in Rates was one of my favorite places to stay on my entire walk. Highly recommended!)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did the "aqueduct" route out of Vila do Conde in June 2023. I downloaded the gpx coordinates from the Dutch camino website and followed the route in the OSMand app. Compared to other days walking on roads, I didn't find the route especially bad or tedious. I also met a few other people who were walking the route.

Dutch camino website with gpx coordinates (look under routes for Portugal): https://www.santiago.nl/downloads/#nederland

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! We had originally intended to walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates but it looks like the route is unsupported. How is the walk, if anyone has done it? We would rather avoid walking along a highway if possible. In the “Wise Pilgrim Guide” the path appears as pink, unlike the official paths. Our intention is to connect to the Central from the Coastal.
There are several ways to walk there. The one I did, you turn right and walk east along the river as soon as you cross the bridge into Vila do Conde. It is well marked. There are certainly parts along the road but I didn't feel too unsafe. It joins the Central at Arcos, and then you can walk the Central from there to Rates (as I did). Some don't like that route and prefer one that goes by the aqueduct.

There's also a rail trail that runs from Pavoa de Varzim to Rates. I haven't taken it, but I've heard it's a nice, flat, traffic-free walk. It starts near the Pavoa de Varzim metro station. We took a taxi from Fao to Rates when we switched from the coast to the central. I would have like to walk, but some folks in our group were pressed for time.

I'm not sure what you mean by unsupported but yes, hundreds of thousands of people have done it. It is not on a highway as such, but there is a stretch of a few hundred metres along a busy road with no shoulder and care is needed. Otherwise it's fine, with good services along the way..

I just said unsupported because in our book there is no mention of that particular stretch. But really appreciate the input :)

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
It certainly isn’t terrible. The river portion is nice. I used Mapy.cz and I was happy to have it as the initial markings are very sparse. The Mapy.cz app is free. It has an outdoor layer, which shows the entire Camino. Download the Portugal and Galicia Mabs, and you will not need data service to navigate. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1 Vila Nova de Gaia to Matosinhos: 12 K 9:20 - 12:40* Highest temp** while walking: 72° Pilgrims spotted: 8 Seattle-Newark-Porto, not an easy route, but that's the price we pay for living on...
Hi friends, old and new. It is a year since our first Camino walking partly in memory of my dad Sagalout. This year, we are going to walk from Porto and have given ourselves plenty of time (I...
Hello! We had originally intended to walk from Vila do Conde to São Pedro de Rates but it looks like the route is unsupported. How is the walk, if anyone has done it? We would rather avoid walking...
Hello my Camino friends! I will be arriving in Porto the morning of Tuesday July 2nd to walk the Coastal Route. I want to also complete the Espiritual Variant. However,. I need to arrive in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back