• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Viana Do Castelo to Ponte de Lima

paulpetersonCA

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
Starting my Camino next month leaving Porto on the Coastal, and want to see Viana do Castelo. I'm considering walking to Ponte de Lima to hook up with the Central route. I can't seem to get a sense from any maps, guides or other sources what that specific segment would look like. Is it all roadside? Is there anything scenic between the two towns?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have never done it but there have been other treads on the Forum that discussed the route. I don't remember anyone ever remarking about anything scenic on the route and apparently it does involve some road walking.

On mapy.cz I see that there is a trail beside the Rio Lima. It's about 30 km between the two.

1000032359.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
On mapy.cz I see that there is a trail beside the Rio Lima. It's about 30 km between the two.

View attachment 175573

Thank you! That looks perfect. My fear was having to walk along busy roads for an entire day.

My brother and his wife hiked the Central route from Porto in 2022. They raved about Ponte de Lima. I wanted to experience the Coastal route from Porto for several days last fall. I hiked to Viana do Castelo and was optimistic there was a crossover route to Ponte de Lima. I was exhausted by the long walk and the heat by the time I arrived in Viana do Castelo. And for some reason my backpack transport service did not travel between VdC and PdL. The only option was to send my backpack via taxi. So I gave up and took the taxi also to PdL. I felt a bit guilty but enjoyed the longer rest day in Ponte de Lima. Bob

Starting my Camino next month leaving Porto on the Coastal, and want to see Viana do Castelo. I'm considering walking to Ponte de Lima to hook up with the Central route. I can't seem to get a sense from any maps, guides or other sources what that specific segment would look like. Is it all roadside? Is there anything scenic between the two towns?
Very interested in replies to your query. Planning to walk the coastal route next year and revisit Ponte de Lima. Bom caminho!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back