• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Ellenica (Italy) - Summary

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
A couple of weeks ago Wendy and I walked the Via Ellenica in Italy with another couple. We loved it and here's a short recap!

Basic Information

The Via Ellenica is part of the Cammino Materano series of trails in the south of Italy (connected to the city of Matera). Specifically, the main branch of the Via Ellenica leads from Alberobelllo (Puglia) to Matera (Basilicata), while a variant/extension goes from Brindisi to Alberobello. The main branch is about 170km and the standard way to complete it is in eight stages.

The official website is here: https://camminomaterano.it/via/9/via-ellenica

There is a credential, stamps to collect, and a certificate upon completion.

Pilgrim Infrastructure

Way-marking is very good in both directions, with green and yellow markers (yellow for heading towards Matera, green for heading towards Alberobello, but typically the markers are placed in a way that you can see them going in either direction). Honestly, I think you could do this without GPS but it always makes sense to have it as a backup.

The official site above has a PDF guide for download (in Italian).

There is accommodation along the route, typically in B&B-type places (some of which are involved in the project and give pilgrim discounts), with one or two albergue-type places starting to pop up. There are often no towns between the end points of a stage, so you're pretty much locked into the stages. Ours varied in distance from 16km to 27km.

Difficulty

The official site rates the walk as 'medium' difficulty and each stage is graded as either easy or medium. I don't have elevation charts on hand but I would describe it as pretty flat overall. As always, there's a combination of road and trail walking, but it's mostly rural as this is not a heavily populated area.

Highlights

The two end points are World Heritage listed sites for their unusual traditional housing (the 'trulli' houses of Alberobello and the 'sassi' caves of Matera). Matera, in particular, is a truly extraordinary place. Most of the end-of-stage towns are interesting and worth exploring, and in general, the camino gets more and more interesting as you go along.

The two real highlights, in my view, are the gorges (called 'gravine' in plural) on the second half of the camino, and the lifestyle that historically grew up around them, consisting of rock-hewn churches (especially San Nicola with its frescoes), villages (especially below the city of Ginosa) and cities (Matera). Some of the most interesting towns (Castellaneta, Laterza, Ginosa, and Matera) are built on top of these gorges, and the trail also often goes on the rim of the gorges. These elements make this a unique camino and, in my view, a spectacular one in terms of natural beauty and historic sites.

Hospitality

In addition to the above, the real bonus and gem of the Via Ellenica is the hospitality shown to pilgrims. This was a complete surprise to me and sets it apart from all other pilgrimages I've walked, surpassing my previous gold standard in this field, the Geira e dos Arrieros.

There is a local association that manages the camino and the official guide lists a 'reference person' who lives in each end-of-stage town, who you can contact (or who may contact you first through the camino grapevine) for information, to arrange tours, or just to chat with a friendly local. The guide also lists accommodation and restaurants who are part of the project and have stamps and who welcome pilgrims through pilgrim menus and discounts.

Of all the great people we met, a special mention goes to the two 'Aunties' ('Le Zie'), who shower pilgrims with food and drinks and friendliness midway through the stage leading out of Martina Franca.

I should add that we spoke almost exclusively Italian with everyone we met, so language barrier could be an issue if you don't speak any Italian. Our friends were non-Italian speakers, but even then most people did not offer to speak English, so I would certainly assume that some or even most of these people don't speak much/any English.

Overall

I really loved this camino, more than the Magna Via Francigena that I walked a little earlier in Sicily. It's an amazing way to discover one of my favourite regions in Italy (Puglia) and to understand southern Italy, e.g. by seeing caves where people lived into the 1950s and 1960s. If you're looking for something a little different from a Spanish camino, and are possibly a bit short on time, and are keen on learning/practicing some Italian, the Via Ellenica could be the camino for you!

Photos

The trulli of Alberobello:

53745146914_902b56d855_c.jpg

The view from the trail:

53744824536_15c29b50a3_c.jpg

The Laterza gorge:

53744992403_86660cb04f_c.jpg

The cityscape of Matera:

53745215820_80b5809d00_c.jpg

Wendy crossing a bridge in the gorge below Matera in the early morning:

53745210905_29958cd7a6_c.jpg

More photos here on Flickr.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for taking the time to write this short report.
Never heard of it before, it looks very interesting !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks @jungleboy for a perfect description.

I walked from Matera to Brinidisi (and yes it is marked all the way bidirectionally) in autumn of 2022 and just as you did, loved every step of the way. And like you I think the thing that set it apart was the friendliness and hospitality of the various "reps" of the organization in most of the towns along the way. They were generous with time and information. They obviously take great pride in their enterprise which is still under development, though the two stretches from Brindisi to Alberobello and Alberobello to Matera are complete.

I agree you would miss something if you did not speak at least some Italian but for me that added to it. And the discounts for accommodation for pilgrims are very genuine and you do need to book directly to benefit. I had no problems whatever with accommodation. I too noticed that most days had no intermediate stopping place - but the stages are generally not very long.

I would go back tomorrow!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you for the inspiration snd details. As mother tongue Italian this is something I will certainly try out. .

Wow, this is so cool!!! Thank you for sharing! It is definitely going on my list.

You're killing me, Nick! From now on, you have to lend me a year for every camino you add to my bucket list. I'm putting the Via Ellenica on top of my list for next year's Italy jaunt (after probably following you down the Invierno later this year). This one seems to share what I loved about the Magna Via Francigena --- a local population highly invested in the route and really going out of their way to welcome pilgrims -- and if you liked this even more than the MVF . . .

I spent the morning tracking the stages on mapy.cz. Looks like a lot less climbing than in Sicily, and despite the fact there are often no towns between the stages, all of the longer stages could be abbreviated by some short-cuts along (what appear to be) very tranquil local roads.

And returning to Matera -- on foot this time -- seems awesome. What a spot!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The VF del/nel Sud (other names are avaialble) goes from Rome to Bari (the embarcation point for onward travel to Jerusalem on the Via Egnatia) or on to Santa Maria di Leuca, the tip of the heel...
Yesterday we left Mouthier Haute Pierre early because it would be a long steep stage (23,5 km with 849 height meters) with some difficult parts. So we rose early, had a good breakfast, packed...
Today we were really looking forward to the walk in the gorge de l’Orbe (stage Jougne to Orbe) on the Via Francigena in Switserland. After the long steep descent from Ballaigues to the river Orbe...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.