• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Very simple app or gps to just know your speed

Osterman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned CF May/June 2025
Good afternoon.
Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless.
Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed?
On my Samsung I have an app called Health, but it is far too complicated and unnecessary.
Also, smartwatches usually have non requested data, such as altitude, weather, heart, etc, thus are quite expensive.
My need is very simple; I just would like to know how long have I walked, what distance have I walked and thus what my speed is.
Thank you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I use my watch and a map. I could use my ‘phone, but when on Camino I prefer to have that switched-off and packed away.

I’m curious - feel free to point out that it’s none of my business - why are you interested in your speed as opposed to simply ‘where am I and what time is it?’.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Tincatinker (again massive Thanks) advised me last week to download mapy.cz as I was on Camino Vadiniese in bad weather approaching. I can now say I will always use it, I found it invaluable. I didn't know it could record your walk, now I've a new task to learn. (I also use my Garmin swim 2 watch but it has to be charged, another lead carried, another task every day/pain) I was always against the Phone/apps but walking solo it's now essential.

Just to know if I have to speed up or if I can take it easy

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Like @trecile, on the occasions I want this information I also use mapy.cz. Ironically I did exactly that today....
I downloaded it for use on less travelled trails, it's free, easy to figure out and some functions can be used offline (in airplane mode). That spares battery and data. Plus you can actually even use the map should you decide to wander or stay off route for example.
You can also use it on your laptop, which gives you additional features - route planning for example.
It operates and has maps worldwide, download it at home and have a play - you can always delete it if you don't like it.
I even discovered a trail in my local area that I knew nothing about!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum