• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Verifying distance...actual walking or established route. Does Vigo to Santiago qualify for a Compostela?

walkingfischer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues, Sept 2024
hoping someone can help me ASAP. We have a trip planned from Vigo to Compostela for the end of August. I used several resources to plan our trip and it looked like the route was just over 100km. But now, with Wise Camino and another travel site, it is listed as 99km. I am certain we will take side paths along the way, not to mention wrong turns, etc which will get us that extra km. My question is this: to receive the official Compostela, is it based on the distance a pilgrim walks or the distance of the established route? Many thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The PO relies on the assumed / assessed distance of an established route. The actual distance walked is irrelevant. Getting lost or diverting to a bar doesn't count.

You cannot register Vigo as a starting point on the PO's website: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/sigle-register/ Try Tui.
Edited: often useful to question the reliability of information provided by a tinker 😉

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You cannot register Vigo as a starting point on the PO's website: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/sigle-register/ Try Tui.
You may want to review your statement ;).

So far, 8.574 pilgrims registered Vigo as their starting point this year and received their Compostela - see PO statistics page.

The list of the starting points in the drop down menu on the PO's registration webpage is not static but dynamic. The starting points depend on the chosen Camino. Vigo is listed as a starting point for the "Portuguese Camino along the Coast" - see screenshot:

Vigo - Compostela.jpg

Last edited:
As they say here where I live: xxxx xxxx xxx xxxxxx.
Invocation of holy names.
People, let's get real!
Be pilgrim, and let the current rules, based on whatever commercial controls pull the strings go to hang.
If you need a Compostela, obey the current rules.
If you want to align yourself with the reality of pilgrim, dig deep inside.

It's been a while, perhaps it's due another airing about now...

Vigo is officially 100km from Santiago according to the Pilgrims Office, and any stamp from anywhere in Vigo will do you just fine.The fact that the city is a couple of kilometres from one end to the other is irrelevant, as is getting lost and sidetracked.

Vigo is 100km. Get your stamp, any stamp from there and don't fret.

Buen Camino

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
The fact that the city is a couple of kilometres from one end to the other is irrelevant, as is getting lost and sidetracked.
The same is true of Lugo on the Primitivo. Quite a lot of argument at one point about whether it was 100km from Santiago or not as it depended on where precisely you measured from. But the pilgrim office accepts it as a valid starting point for Compostela purposes.

Vigo to Santiago QUALIFIES for the Compostela. My wife and I did it just last 28 May - 1 June, after walking the C. Ingles a week earlier. When you get to the Pulgrim Office, Select the Camino Portuguese coastal route in the drop down menu of the computer when registering for the Compostela.

It doesn't matter if you start at the cathedral or at the city outskirt on the way to Redondela...Vigo is Vigo. I would suggest that you visit the beautiful cathedral and get a stamp as one of your Vigo stamps.

Buen Camino! Be safe

hoping someone can help me ASAP. We have a trip planned from Vigo to Compostela for the end of August. I used several resources to plan our trip and it looked like the route was just over 100km. But now, with Wise Camino and another travel site, it is listed as 99km. I am certain we will take side paths along the way, not to mention wrong turns, etc which will get us that extra km. My question is this: to receive the official Compostela, is it based on the distance a pilgrim walks or the distance of the established route? Many thanks.
Yes. We walked around his route. We also added the spiritual variant - but wasn’t necessary. If you start on the waterfront near the train stations just walk up Rua Urzaiz - it will join the route. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It is recognized by the pilgrims office as 104 km.

I'm not sure where you got this from, but for the sake of clarity, and hopefully prevent us from going back around in circles, though that seems to be an inevitability on this forum:

The distance from Vigo to Santiago is 100 km, that's what it says on all of the screens behind the counter at the Pilgrims Office. It doesn't say 99 km or 104 km. It just says 100 km.

Edit: It may or may not necessarily be accurate, but for the sake of getting a compostela or a distance certificate, that is what the official distance is.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's been a while, perhaps it's due another airing about now...

Vigo is officially 100km from Santiago according to the Pilgrims Office, and any stamp from anywhere in Vigo will do you just fine.The fact that the city is a couple of kilometres from one end to the other is irrelevant, as is getting lost and sidetracked.

Vigo is 100km. Get your stamp, any stamp from there and don't fret.

Buen Camino
Thank you! I will sleep well tonight!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I'm not sure where you got this from, but for the sake of clarity, and hopefully prevent us from going back around in circles, though that seems to be an inevitability on this forum:

The distance from Vigo to Santiago is 100 km, that's what it says on all of the screens behind the counter at the Pilgrims Office. It doesn't say 99 km or 104 km. It just says 100 km.

Edit: It may or may not necessarily be accurate, but for the sake of getting a compostela or a distance certificate, that is what the official distance is.
Thank you for the reassurance!

Yes you can.

Choosing Camino Portugues por la Costa.

Vigo is a bit of an exception, but I understand that the Xunta Albergue actually is slightly over 100K to Santiago whereas the official town centre is slightly below.
Thank you for the clarification---panic gone. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I walked from Vigo to Santiago in May 2023. It is recognized by the pilgrims office as 104 km. You need 2 stamps per day. We got the Compostela.
Looking forward to being able to say the same thing in about 6 weeks!!!

Yes. We walked around his route. We also added the spiritual variant - but wasn’t necessary. If you start on the waterfront near the train stations just walk up Rua Urzaiz - it will join the route. Buen Camino!
cannot wait. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

The PO relies on the assumed / assessed distance of an established route. The actual distance walked is irrelevant. Getting lost or diverting to a bar doesn't count.

Edited: often useful to question the reliability of information provided by a tinker 😉
thank you for responding and clarifying. Plan on many diversions ;), but that is what I thought and why I panicked. Grateful for this community who responding so quickly.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Vigo to Santiago QUALIFIES for the Compostela. My wife and I did it just last 28 May - 1 June, after walking the C. Ingles a week earlier. When you get to the Pulgrim Office, Select the Camino Portuguese coastal route in the drop down menu of the computer when registering for the Compostela.

It doesn't matter if you start at the cathedral or at the city outskirt on the way to Redondela...Vigo is Vigo. I would suggest that you visit the beautiful cathedral and get a stamp as one of your Vigo stamps.

Buen Camino! Be safe
Thank you---counting the days til we hit the Camino.

454003237_26325278243753990_4192689727539650202_n.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Well, I have some health issues and no room at the inn issues. My leg flaring up has really caused a problem. My husband and I are in Vila do Conde looking for a nice place to sleep tomorrow. I...
I’m looking for recommendations for camino memoirs specific to the Portuguese camino. Ideally, the coastal route but I’ll take what I can find. I read a plethora of memoirs from the French route...
Here is my photo video from the Camino Portugues, costal route. We chose almost every opportunity to go Litoral - right out on the coastline. Only the day between Esposende and Viana do Castelo we...
Walking Litoral from Porto beginning 25 Oct. Will places to stay be open? Thanks!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back