• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Vaseline in Spain?

RJE

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
I’ve made it to Leon blister free, but I’m running short on Vaseline for my feet. Where can I buy some in Spain? Pharmacies don’t seem to have it, or know what I’m talking about. They keep trying to give me something that looks nothing like Vaseline. No luck in grocery stores either. Thanks for your help.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
That is because the use of Vaseline is unconscionable in Spain because Unilever is an unmentionable swear word in Spanish.
However, most pharmacias will provide a tin of Vaselina if you ask nicely. Don’t expect the packaging to look like it does at home. Petroleum jelly is petroleum jelly, the name on the can is just the name on the can

Yup. Just back from supermercado Froiz here in Silleda and they have Vaselina.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
“Vaseline” is a brand name for petroleum jelly. I’ve found “vaselina” for sale in several Spanish-speaking countries. Although I did not find it for sale on a Spanish website, I did find a website in Spain that uses the brand name “vaselina.” But you’ll probably have better success using the generic term: jalea de petróleo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Try the El Corte Ingles store. They had stuff I could not find elsewhere like stick deoderant. The probably have petroleum jelly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Try Vick's vapour rub (usually for chests) to soothe feet, apply at night before bed. NOT NOT for blisters, though, or where there are open or weeping wounds on feet,

I've seen Vaseline in Spanish supermarkets and, occasionally, in Chinese discount stores.

I found FARMABRUM (vaseline pura) made by Laboratorios Brum S.A., Oviedo (Principado de Asturias) in a pharmacy without a problem.

Reactions: RJE
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't know what it was called in Spanish, but a friend googled a product and showed the photo in a farmacía in Burgos. They had it in a small tube, not a container like in the Froiz link. I may still have it around somewhere, and will follow up with the name if I can find it!

I use Foot Glide/Body Glide for the same purpose you use Vaseline -- to reduce friction. REI sells it in a small container that looks like a travel size deodorant stick. In my view, more "waxy" and less messy than Vaseline. Almost every Farmacia in Spain sells Compeed products. In some I have seen a Compeed product similar to Foot Glide. Buen Camino

Spanish speaking mothers will point you toward the cure all: “Bee-bah-poe-RÚ”.**

Don’t put it on blisters or open cuts!

** a/k/a Vick’s Vapo Rub!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Snap. It was very hard to find but there is a substitute that all farmacias have. Vick. I know it is a vapour rub for your chest but I went into one farmacia and asked for vick and the pharmacist asked 'for your feet'? It works a treat. I have been told it repels bedbugs but I have no proof of that but it certainly keeps you blister free

I don't know if it repels bedbugs, but if has a strong scent like Vick's Vapor Rub, it may repel other pilgrims sleeping near you.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
You can find "vaselina" in supermarkets or "droguerías. The one in the first picture is from Mercadona.
Pharmacies also have it, in a different format (see the other pic).
term: jalea de petróleo
I'm Spanish and if you asked me for jalea de petróleo I would not have a clue what you're talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_7478.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
As others have said, it is widely found but what I have noticed each time I've run out and had to buy more is that it comes in a small tube and is about 3x more expensive than the brand name Vaseline which I buy at home in The Netherlands. Maybe because I've always bought it from a pharmacy and not a droguería or supermarkt.

Most read last week in this forum