• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vaseline in Spain?

RJE

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
I’ve made it to Leon blister free, but I’m running short on Vaseline for my feet. Where can I buy some in Spain? Pharmacies don’t seem to have it, or know what I’m talking about. They keep trying to give me something that looks nothing like Vaseline. No luck in grocery stores either. Thanks for your help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is because the use of Vaseline is unconscionable in Spain because Unilever is an unmentionable swear word in Spanish.
However, most pharmacias will provide a tin of Vaselina if you ask nicely. Don’t expect the packaging to look like it does at home. Petroleum jelly is petroleum jelly, the name on the can is just the name on the can

That is because the use of Vaseline is unconscionable in Spain because Unilever is an unmentionable swear word in Spanish.
However, most pharmacias will provide a tin of Vaselina if you ask nicely. Don’t expect the packaging to look like it does at home. Petroleum jelly is petroleum jelly, the name on the can is just the name on the can

Yup. Just back from supermercado Froiz here in Silleda and they have Vaselina.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
“Vaseline” is a brand name for petroleum jelly. I’ve found “vaselina” for sale in several Spanish-speaking countries. Although I did not find it for sale on a Spanish website, I did find a website in Spain that uses the brand name “vaselina.” But you’ll probably have better success using the generic term: jalea de petróleo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve made it to Leon blister free, but I’m running short on Vaseline for my feet. Where can I buy some in Spain? Pharmacies don’t seem to have it, or know what I’m talking about. They keep trying to give me something that looks nothing like Vaseline. No luck in grocery stores either. Thanks for your help.

I've seen Vaseline in Spanish supermarkets and, occasionally, in Chinese discount stores.

I found FARMABRUM (vaseline pura) made by Laboratorios Brum S.A., Oviedo (Principado de Asturias) in a pharmacy without a problem.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I didn't know what it was called in Spanish, but a friend googled a product and showed the photo in a farmacía in Burgos. They had it in a small tube, not a container like in the Froiz link. I may still have it around somewhere, and will follow up with the name if I can find it!

I use Foot Glide/Body Glide for the same purpose you use Vaseline -- to reduce friction. REI sells it in a small container that looks like a travel size deodorant stick. In my view, more "waxy" and less messy than Vaseline. Almost every Farmacia in Spain sells Compeed products. In some I have seen a Compeed product similar to Foot Glide. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Snap. It was very hard to find but there is a substitute that all farmacias have. Vick. I know it is a vapour rub for your chest but I went into one farmacia and asked for vick and the pharmacist asked 'for your feet'? It works a treat. I have been told it repels bedbugs but I have no proof of that but it certainly keeps you blister free

Snap. It was very hard to find but there is a substitute that all farmacias have. Vick. I know it is a vapour rub for your chest but I went into one farmacia and asked for vick and the pharmacist asked 'for your feet'? It works a treat. I have been told it repels bedbugs but I have no proof of that but it certainly keeps you blister free
I don't know if it repels bedbugs, but if has a strong scent like Vick's Vapor Rub, it may repel other pilgrims sleeping near you.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
You can find "vaselina" in supermarkets or "droguerías. The one in the first picture is from Mercadona.
Pharmacies also have it, in a different format (see the other pic).
term: jalea de petróleo
I'm Spanish and if you asked me for jalea de petróleo I would not have a clue what you're talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_7478.jpeg
    IMG_7478.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
As others have said, it is widely found but what I have noticed each time I've run out and had to buy more is that it comes in a small tube and is about 3x more expensive than the brand name Vaseline which I buy at home in The Netherlands. Maybe because I've always bought it from a pharmacy and not a droguería or supermarkt.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.