• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Update on upcoming new entry rules - EES/ETIAS

Time of past OR future Camino
To Santiago and back. Le Puy to Aumont-Aubrac.
Get ready for a flurry, if not a flood, of news articles about EES and ETIAS.

A few days ago, EU Commissioner Johannsson visited the eu-Lisa headquarters and gave a speech. You can read it in full on the "Press Corner" on ec.europa.eu, and a date has already made it into the international news media: the 10th of November 2024.

She said: "And after intense dialogues with Member States, with you, with the different stakeholders – I have decided that the Entry/Exit System will enter into operations on the 10th of November. Different steps are legally required before the Commission could take the formal decision, but I am proud to reveal today that the 10th of November is the target day."

It does not say whether it will be a "Big Bang start" in many EU airports and other EU external border entry points or a start just in one location or a few locations.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

A few days ago, EU Commissioner Johannsson visited the eu-Lisa headquarters and gave a speech. You can read it in full on the "Press Corner" on ec.europa.eu, and a date has already made it into the international news media: the 10th of November 2024.

She said: "And after intense dialogues with Member States, with you, with the different stakeholders – I have decided that the Entry/Exit System will enter into operations on the 10th of November. Different steps are legally required before the Commission could take the formal decision, but I am proud to reveal today that the 10th of November is the target day."

It does not say whether it will be a "Big Bang start" in many EU airports and other EU external border entry points or a start just in one location or a few locations.

PS: The date in the thread title and first post (6 October) is wrong. Of course. 🤭
The seven euro entry charge for most non EU citizens will not start until next year but the entry system will operate from Nov 10th at least it seems settled and people can move on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

PS: The date in the thread title and first post (6 October) is wrong. Of course. 🤭
Ah thank you. Here is a British newspaper report.

The seven euro entry charge for most non EU citizens will not start until next year but the entry system will operate from Nov 10th
Correct. Quote from the EU Commissioner’s speech:

[The EES Entry/Exit System means] goodbye to passport stamping, hello to digital checks.
She did not say much about the start of the ETIAS system which means paying a €7 fee, only that it is due to go live “in 2025”.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We will already be on the Camino when, and if, this goes into effect on Nov. 10th in Spain. However, we will be leaving about a week after it goes into effect. So I hope it doesn’t create chaos! Whatever…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We will already be on the Camino when, and if, this goes into effect on Nov. 10th in Spain. However, we will be leaving about a week after it goes into effect. So I hope it doesn’t create chaos! Whatever…
Me too. due to return to Australia on 12th November so hope I wont have to do anything.

Thanks @Katharina for your post. I appreciate your keeping us updated on this issue!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The ETIAS was first proposed in 2016 and approved in 2018. It's missed so many implementation dates, I wouldn't be surprised to miss another.

I wonder if the EU hired the same IT firm that resulted in the British Sub-Postmaster scandal. Imagine persons being arrested because buggy software got passport records mixed up with wanted criminals.

-Paul

I wonder if the EU hired the same IT firm that resulted in the British Sub-Postmaster scandal
They didn’t. 😶

And if you cared to familiarise yourself with the EES project or read Johannsson's speech to the EU-Lisa staff you'd know that the technical difficulties and delays and setbacks in connection with developing new IT software and hardware is just one part of the project. Technological coordination between 20+ different countries and their equipment and their staff was another big part, and developing the required common legal framework between these countries was equally difficult. There were huge differences between EU countries in their attitude to personal data protection within the EES system for example. And as Johannsson pointed out, some member states were lagging behind schedule with their part of the work and needed to be coached into action repeatedly, while others prioritised the necessary work in their airports and other external border points.

And I did not post my comment (I had posted it in an ongoing thread actually) so much as to let you know the starting date that the Commissioner had announced but to alert forum members to the many articles that would appear in the international press, some of them alarmist and others misleading.

Last edited:
"I'm sorry, Sir, but you cannot be admitted into the EU because our computer system says you've committed 16384 bank robberies in 256 counties. Our software is perfect! It can't be a bug!"

-Paul

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
BTW, @pjacobi, the scandal in the UK wasn't the faulty IT accounting software. It was the way that the Post Office officials and other UK authorities failed to handle the issue properly and how their actions caused the loss of jobs, bankruptcy, family breakdown, criminal convictions, prison sentences and at least four suicides [quote taken from the EN Wikipedia]

Nothing of all this has anything to do with the EES and why you introduced it into this thread is anyone's guess.

They didn’t. 😶

And if you cared to familiarise yourself with the EES project or read Johannsson's speech to the EU-Lisa staff you'd know that the technical difficulties and delays and setbacks in connection with developing new IT software and hardware is just one part of the project. Technological coordination between 20+ different countries and their equipment and their staff was another big part, and developing the required common legal framework between these countries was equally difficult. There were huge differences between EU countries in their attitude to personal data protection within the EES system for example. And as Johannsson pointed out, some member states were lagging behind schedule with their part of the work and needed to be coached into action repeatedly, while others prioritised the necessary work in their airports and other external border points.

And I did not post my comment (I had posted it in an ongoing thread actually) so much as to let you know the starting date that the Commissioner had announced but to alert forum members to the many articles that would appear in the international press, some of them alarmist and others misleading.
Not to be negative but as an American living in Greece, I would be willing to bet that Greece was one of the countries that needed to be coached into action. I’ve been told by Greek immigration that they are waiting for new information on EU rules - some of us continue to wait for our residency permit renewal. Mine expired in mid May, so I am now carrying around a printed copy of my renewal application that will serve as my ‘renewal in progress’ and allow me to travel.

On a very positive note - am looking forward to each EU country having the same rules. Under the Greek process each time I renew a ‘new’ rule comes up. For now it is wait and see. My lawyer has said I can travel where ever I want - no problem! I remind myself that there can be challenges before new and improved! Soon I’ll be leaving for Portugal to finish my Camino Portuguese.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
BTW, @pjacobi, the scandal in the UK wasn't the faulty IT accounting software. It was the way that the Post Office officials and other UK authorities failed to handle the issue properly and how their actions caused the loss of jobs, bankruptcy, family breakdown, criminal convictions, prison sentences and at least four suicides [quote taken from the EN Wikipedia]

Nothing of all this has anything to do with the EES and why you introduced it into this thread is anyone's guess.

Actually, it was both faults in the Horizon software *and* failure to handle the issue properly.

"The British Post Office scandal, also called the Horizon IT scandal, involved the Post Office pursuing thousands of innocent subpostmasters for apparent financial shortfalls caused by faults in Horizon, an accounting software system developed by Fujitsu."

The topic is relevant to this thread because both are examples of large government IT projects.

-Paul

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The term for this is projection.
And a good portion of ignorance.

The EES isn't "a government" project as the poster in question claims. It is the project of 29 distinct governments working together and coordinating their border control systems. Will they pull it off in 2 months? We will see soon enough. Will there be snags? Likely but they will be ironed out. The main concern of a number of actors in the tourism industry and related sectors is the fear that, initially, there will be long queues and waiting times - especially at the port of Dover (reasons are that the port does not have enough space/EES control points and that passengers of cars and coaches have their fingerprints taken and their photo taken so that they are stored in the EES databases for future EU external border crossings, and this will take time).

I am reminded of the time when I first read about the Euro project in a document, long before this hit the news. I remember thinking, omg, they are really going to do this. Then, from 1999 onwards following the creation of the Euro as a common currency, there were voices of doom in the media that it will fail. That was 25 years ago and it is still alive and kicking today.

Last edited:
On a very positive note - am looking forward to each EU country having the same rules. Under the Greek process each time I renew a ‘new’ rule comes up. For now it is wait and see. My lawyer has said I can travel where ever I want - no problem! I remind myself that there can be challenges before new and improved! Soon I’ll be leaving for Portugal to finish my Camino Portuguese.
I sympathise! However, the EES will not change anything about the rules for foreign residents. Remember, foreign residents in the EU countries and EU nationals are not subject to the future Entry/Exit control system. When travelling between Schengen countries or travelling into or out of the Schengen area, we don't have to go through these channels, and our fingerprints and other personal data will not be registered and not be stored.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Don't get too excited yet. Despite the speech given by Commissioner Johanssson, there is no date for the start of the EES to be seen on the official EES website. It is still August in Brussels - nothing is going to be announced for now, most people are still away and on their summer holidays.

I had a quick look in Google News and saw this delightful headline:

Looks like nothing can go wrong if you plan to travel through the Channel Tunnel. This article is published on a website with "Biometrics" in their name. They are more techno-oriented than travel-oriented. Oh, and here is a quote from their article which was published on 28 August 2024:

The European Commission recently clarified that the launch date for the EES has not been officially set, despite earlier comments suggesting a November 10, 2024, rollout.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Unfortunately I’ve become too ill to continue—I have a flight from Madrid on Sept 19. Can anyone suggest a safe and quiet hotel in Madrid for tonight and tomorrow? I’m so sad I can’t Go on. I’ll...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
Just heard on the news that Ryanair is no longer allowed to charge for hand luggage, and has to pay back people, but they didn't say for how long back. I also have no idea if it also applies to...
For our next Camino, we're spending a week in the UK prior. It's for a 50th reunion so we need to take some 'decent' clothes. Suit, shoes etc. The plan then, is to send all that stuff back home...
Hey everyone, this is just a heads-up that I'll be heading to Camino in the first week of October. My flight from the US to Madrid will arrive at 7:20 p.m. The last trip to Sarria is at 8:23 p.m...
Hi everyone. I’m flying back to Chicago from Madrid after walking the CF in late November. I’ll be taking a cab to a hotel near CDG airport to fly out next day. It appears to be a long distance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back