• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Types of Compostela Certificates

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2024
Six days out from Santiago on the Norte and have been talking with experienced pilgrims on the Certificates upon arriving in Santiago. I came back to this Forum to see if the answers were here and found that there is only one Certificate called the Compostela. Can anyone clear up and confirm this to be true OR is there another certificate for certain distances and….one experienced pilgrim even mentioned a “medal” of sort if you let the office hold your Credential until they verified your pilgrimage…then sent/mailed it back to you. Clarification would be helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is the Compostela and there is acertificate of distance. That’s it.

There used to be a certificate of welcome for those who made the pilgrimage for other than religious reasons. The Pilgrims Office seems to have set those aside and issue a Compostela to all that meet the current criteria: to have walked at least 100km into Santiago by a recognized route and to have collected at least two Sellos per day in a recognized Credencial.

All the accurate information is available on their website: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/

There is only ONE Compostela. The other certificates have different names, such as Fisterrana, Salvadorana, etc. . At the Pilgrim Office in Santiago they issue only Compostelas and Distance Certificates. They used to (or maybe still do on request) issue a non-religious Welcome Certificate.

There are other certificates issued at different places on different Caminos. I have only heard once about a medal, and I think that was for starting from SJPdP.

Here's an article about some of the other certificates you can receive:

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
one experienced pilgrim even mentioned a “medal” of sort if you let the office hold your Credential until they verified your pilgrimage…then sent/mailed it back to you. Clarification would be helpful.
I've never heard of a medal from the Santiago pilgrim office. The SJPDP office were offering one some years ago but I have no idea if that is still available. Some mention of it in this old thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/medallion-from-pilgrims-office-in-st-jean.65525/

One slight variation on the standard Compostela is a vicarie pro.

Your name still appears printed on the certificate, but the name of your nominee is added, handwritten with the words vicarie pro. This is only granted in particular circumstances, such as your nominee being physically unable to make the pilgrimage.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
A medal is sent by the SJPDP Pilgrims' Office to pilgrims who request one, provided they have walked or cycled the distance between SJPDP and Santiago de Compostela.

A medal is sent by the SJPDP Pilgrims' Office to pilgrims who request one, provided they have walked or cycled the distance between SJPDP and Santiago de Compostela.
It says on the website to send copies of the first and last pages of the credencial with €10 to receive the medal. Is that just for EU residents, or do they send it anywhere in the world?

Hi @Monasp - so... I can (still) request the medal even if I walked in May-June 2022?
if so - is the criteria to get it still on the SJPdP Pilgrim Office website?

edit - I do see on the website that its available but the ask is to send 10 € (and I presume in cash?) What does one do if their currency is not Euro? Like mine of course is USD?
Any insight is appreciated

Merci!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I do see on the website that its available but the ask is to send 10 € (and I presume in cash?) What does one do if their currency is not Euro? Like mine of course is USD?
You don't have any spare €€ from your last trip?

Actually I always do (given the fact that Laurie runs to Europe couple of times a year for business trips)
I was being a "Good Pilgrim" and asking for the non-European Community

I got this from the San Fancisco convent next to near the cathedral. Has a prayer on the back and the front is in latin. They also stamp your credentials and say a prayer for you. Hope I did not accidentally join some order !

Attachments

• 2024 05 18 Camino Benedicto Sancti Francisci Certificate Front small.jpg
    772.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do see on the website that its available but the ask is to send 10 € (and I presume in cash?)
Sending cash is forbidden in France, I guess you should use check (are they used yet in US ?).

No... but I am aware of one chap (bloke, dude etc) who is chiselling one out of the stone tablet as we speak

Seriously I dont think my bank would allow me to write a check for Euros

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A medal?

Seriously guys, how desperate do you have to be?

The entire premise of anything starting in St Jean is made-up. The provenance of St James’ earthly remains, discovered when the church was running low on cash, residing in Santiago is - let’s be kind - dubious. A man-made certificate which purports some religious significance is made available - although at no cost - and now that some medal from a tourist-office is available that’s of interest also?

Isn’t it enough to do what you will and know you’ve done what you can?

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum