• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Transport from Pamplona to SJPP

majapaja

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug 2025 SJJP to Logrono
Did Sarria to Santiago
I'm looking to get from Pamplona to SJPP on Aug 2nd, 2025. Any ideas how to get there? i see a taxi is 295 Euros and im travelling on my own.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If next year is like previous years then there should be an ALSA bus around noon from Pamplona to SJPDP.
You must likely won't see it scheduled on their website until June though. Also, searching for the destination of SJPdP with a St abbreviation won't work; you have to spell it as Saint.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm looking to get from Pamplona to SJPP on Aug 2nd, 2025. Any ideas how to get there? i see a taxi is 295 Euros and im travelling on my own.
Go on, let us into a secret. Why are you trying to get to Saint Jean pied de Port from Pamplona? If you’re planning to walk the Camino Francés to Santiago you’re traveling in the wrong direction 😉

A few ways...bus probably running in August or get into a group with people you meet getting off the train and take a cab together, or just start walking from Pamplona. There isn't really a "beginning" to the Camino Frances. It is easier to just start in Pamplona.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Go on, let us into a secret. Why are you trying to get to Saint Jean pied de Port from Pamplona? If you’re planning to walk the Camino Francés to Santiago you’re traveling in the wrong direction 😉
I'm not sure there's a wrong direction on the Camino. I just decided to stay the night in Pamplona before starting in SJPdP

I'm not sure there's a wrong direction on the Camino. I just decided to stay the night in Pamplona before starting in SJPdP
I don’t mean to tease but my question is still why start from St Jean? Pamplona is just as valid a starting point.

If you catch the bus to St Jean or spend a bunch of €uros on a taxi you’ll find yourself back in Pamplona 4 or 5 days later.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Maybe be aware that bus tickets and train tickets don't have a long lead time for purchase. Often they go on sale only a couple of months to about 2 or 3 weeks before the date of travel. You can get an idea of schedules by looking just a week or two from now. That being said as @Rick of Rick and Peg mentions above, the bus from Pamplona is seasonal and only runs in the summer months.

I don’t mean to tease but my question is still why start from St Jean? Pamplona is just as valid a starting point.

If you catch the bus to St Jean or spend a bunch of €uros on a taxi you’ll find yourself back in Pamplona 4 or 5 days later.
SJPP looks like a super cute town and I want to start from the beginning. Staying in Pamplona breaks up my travel and i hear its a foodie town:)

SJPP looks like a super cute town and I want to start from the beginning. Staying in Pamplona breaks up my travel and i hear its a foodie town:)
Okay, but St J isn’t the beginning. Yes, it’s a very nice, maybe even “super cute” town though much given over to the pilgrim trade in the last decade or so.
The Camino de Santiago doesn’t start in a small French town in the foothills of the Pyrenees: never did, never has and never will. Of course lots of people start their Camino from St Jean but it isn’t the “beginning”.

Pamplona? Foodie town? Maybe 😉 I see you’re headed for Logrono. Some better bets there. Or, if you’ve only a limited time in Spain I’d suggest just spending it in Madrid. Save Camino until you’ve got some serious time to devote to it. Otherwise you ain’t got Camino, all you’ll have is some photos 😉

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I don’t know where ‘Oakville’ is but - I presume in your case, that’s the beginning. Most Spaniards would say the beginning is Roncesvalles and a good proportion would then question the logic of travelling from their home in Spain to a more distant part of Spain in order to walk a pilgrimage back to Santiago.

If you’re just treating it as a challenge walk, that’s fine.

Logroño to Madrid is easy by bus. Try Jimenez bus company. They have at least one route.
Apparently they bought out PLM bus lines. And the PLM stood for Pamplona, Logroño & Madrid.

the bus from Pamplona [to SJPdP] is seasonal and only runs in the summer months
As I remember it the season is early March through late October. Pre-pandemic they would add buses slowly (up to four) until summer and then slowly decrease the number until the end of the season. Since starting the service up again Alsa has been running only one daily bus leaving sometime around noon. BTW, if you do internet searches you may find that Conda runs buses to SJPdP. That's Alsa; another buyout.

Okay, but St J isn’t the beginning. Yes, it’s a very nice, maybe even “super cute” town though much given over to the pilgrim trade in the last decade or so.
The Camino de Santiago doesn’t start in a small French town in the foothills of the Pyrenees: never did, never has and never will. Of course lots of people start their Camino from St Jean but it isn’t the “beginning”.

Pamplona? Foodie town? Maybe 😉 I see you’re headed for Logrono. Some better bets there. Or, if you’ve only a limited time in Spain I’d suggest just spending it in Madrid. Save Camino until you’ve got some serious time to devote to it. Otherwise you ain’t got Camino, all you’ll have is some photos 😉
WOW. You haven't the slightest idea of what I got out of my first time on the camino and why im going back. I'll reply to people that can help with my planning. I wish you well

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WOW. You haven't the slightest idea of what I got out of my first time on the camino and why im going back. I'll reply to people that can help with my planning. I wish you well
I also wish you well. And no, I haven’t a clue what you got out of your previous Camino. You’ve not said so I’m left wondering. I’ll also hope you’ve got some help from other members who’ve posted about the various seasonal buses and other logistics. I hope you have a good walk and get, at least, what you got out of your previous venture.

I suppose I should confess to an obsession, at least, to trying to understand why so many people think that Camino starts in St Jean. Of the thousand roads to the shrine - why that one, why there?

see a taxi is 295 Euros and im travelling on my own.
I don't know where you found that price, but if you can't get the bus, a taxi will run much less than €295.

Here's a rate chart from a taxi company in Pamplona. You can reserve ahead and try to match you with other pilgrims if you want.

1000037450.webp

I don't want to come off as sounding "sarky" but I agree with Tinc. SJPdP is not the starting point of the Camino Frances and in my opinion not "really super cute." It has become a tourist trap over the years catering to bus loads of elderly pensioners. It is the start of a arduous walk over the Pyrenes which is fraught with limited accommodations. You would be better served to start from Pau or Oloron-Ste. Marie on the Aragones if that is the experience you are looking for. As far as foodie towns, Pamplona and Logrono pale in comparison to the foodie center of the world, San Sebastian. IMHO!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey, my name is Joe and I live In Colorado Springs, Colorado. Just beginning the planning process for the Camino. We are shooting for late September/October of 2026! One question tho... can we...
Hi there pilgrims! I am a new member and I would like to introduce myself. My name is Frans van der Hulst and I live in the Netherlands in a town called Leiden. In May 2025 I hope to walk my first...
Howdy, I am a Texas Aggie and a novice at walking the Camino. I am doing the Camino Frances for the first time beginning in mid May 2025. At this time, I am doing it solo but originally wanted to...
FRANCE: le 29 septembre 2024 Travel Blog Musings on Midlife’s Misadventures Part Two: Bon! Où commencer? Thousands of people from all over the world...
Hi! I'm starting the Mozarabe on Oct 24. Does somebody knows a second hand shop selling trekking poles i Mälaga? /patrick 2015: Camino Frances 2007-2019: Sweden - Santiago 2019 and 2022: Camino...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back