• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tracking apps/findpenguins/Relive/ or just simple iphone/google maps

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I use Google Maps for live location sharing.

And Find Penguins for blogging/sharing photos with friends and family.

I've used Relive in the past, but it wasn't always that accurate with distances. But that was five years ago. It's probably improved. I even was able to insert a Relive video in my Find Penguins blog.

Whatever you decide on, play with it before you go on Camino.

If you want to use Google Maps but not the live update you can click your location and then, in the pop-up, click Share. You'll then get a number of ways to send your location. This gives you flexibility as to when and to whom location information is sent. You can also add some notes as to what is there and maybe some pictures. You may want to add yourself to the recipient list too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Those with an Apple Watch can track the distance each day with a ‘walk workout’ and then share (by messages or email) the map it generates at the end of each tracked workout. The nice thing about that option (for those with the hardware) is that you can choose very selectively, and the data you send isn’t shared ever with any third party.
There are people who have this hardware and haven’t dug down into what the walk or hike tracking can do (like create maps, distances, elevations etc., and then share it).
You can also choose to share your location on “Find My Friends” with others on Apple systems.
Not for everyone, I realise, but it does do what you want with your privacy very protected and your data not used for commercial (tracking and ads, etc) purposes.

I've been trying to use as few apps as possible to achieve multiple results.
With this in mind, on my next camino I'll use the All Trails app.
With it I can navigate, attach pictures on the saved trail and share my location with my family. And I can see all the variants of trails and alternative trails (I'll walk a less known camino on my next walk, the Viejo, that is not marked).
You should check it if you want to have all these functionalities.

Edit: to be able to share your live location you need to get the app subscription that in Brazil is something like 6 dollars per year.

The things that I liked about FindPenguins are: my husband didn't have to join it/start an account to receive private links from me for proof of life, and it was free for me until I decided I wanted a coffee table book of my posts, which I got to edit before publishing. They include QR codes to videos in the books. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mrs HtD is prone to monitoring my whereabouts whilst on Camino and it’s worth clarifying that all of these apps will give a precise location as to where your phone is but not - necessarily - where you are and thus the time you left c.Laurel, c.San Lorenzo, the barrio húmedo and so on and so forth.

A friend told me, obviously.

The things that I liked about FindPenguins are: my husband didn't have to join it/start an account to receive private links from me for proof of life, and it was free for me until I decided I wanted a coffee table book of my posts, which I got to edit before publishing. They include QR codes to videos in the books. :)
I did the same, I really like my souvenir photo book! And knowing people didn't have to have an account was good, too.

And knowing people didn't have to have an account was good, too
A friend of mine is an activities director at a senior assisted living place, and while she was on the Camino another staff member would show her daily Find Penguins blog to the residents on the big screen TV in their common room.

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

Perhaps does not totally relates to Camino (although I can see some Pilgrims using them on mountainous paths) Does anyone know if crampons are OK to take in carry-on or, like most poles, they...
I have perused many well written posts regarding clothing and equipment, I agree...adapt...and adopt many. It is with concern I notice 'the maximum conditions associated to the clothing...
I've been looking at this particular collapsible umbrella but am concerned that it's shorter handle would interfere with a hands-free application. I'd like to hear from people who have experience...
Camino Credential is that with stamps or without

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.