This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

To book or not to book.....that is the question!

Leemac40

Time of past OR future Camino
Baztan - September 2nd
I am planning to walk from Leon and onto the Invierno next April, walking over Easter, as I understand it this is a very busy time on the Camino! Is it therefore necessary to book or would I still manage to wing it?
I hope to do the more scenic Southern variant out of Leon which looking at Gronze doesn't leave too many possibilities for stages, I am on a tight timescale of 15 days, hoping this is enough
Apologies if this is an age old question which has been discussed to death and thanks for any replies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, @Leemac40. All the best for your preparation and planning. You ask a question, and it doesn't really matter how many times it is asked. I am not going to give you an answer, but I will share what a member of the Camino Society Ireland shared with me yesterday: I don't know what all the hype is about. She is an experienced pilgrim. She walked this time from Leon, returning perhaps last week, and maybe once or twice needed to book, but of that I am not even sure.
Do your level, or hilly, best to get in form for walking an average of 25km a day. That depends of course on your overall distance plan. You are from UK. Contact St James Society, ask them your questions. I might pm the forum member I refer to and ask her to pm you so you could get more precise help.
Do enjoy this time of trial and error. Scots wha hae and all that - whatever it really means in modern times!
My message will be followed without doubt with other, possibly contrary, recommendations. That is where your own common sense will need to filter what it is you need to pay attention to.
Buen camino.

I walked it last year in May so can't comment on the impact of Semana Santa.
Though Semana Santa on the VdlP prior to it did lead to a shortage of beds a couple of times and places also closed. I would say on the Invierno, on balance. you should be OK.

But if it were me, I'd be booking a day or two ahead just to be sure, as in some places there may only be one option to stay. (depending on your stages)

It's a wonderful route, and quie hilly.
But if you have a few days walking already as a warm up you should be fine.
I hit it after 40 days on the VdlP so hardly noticed the hills!
Well, they were not as bad as they might have felt......

Sounds like you are used to quite long days.
Allowing 4 days from Leon to Ponferrada, you'd need to do the Invierno in 11 days.
Average 24 km days.
It sounds easy, but the hills make it harder, and the stages often don't work out as you'd like.
But very 'doable' I'm sure.

I stuck to an average <20 km days on the Inveirno.

These were my stages. I go slow......... (green = short day <15 kms)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thankyou so much for your reply, I have planned my stages, very roughly, I think the planning and excitement is as much fun as the walking! I walked the West Highland Way this year, 20miles per day which I felt comfortable with so hoping for the same but the path will decide! I have been on different Camino routes but only felt 'brave' enough to book daily and stay in donativos when I walked the Baztan and onto Burgos a couple of years ago, loved it but the planning sometimes gets the bast of me!

Thanks Robo, this is great, I have made a rough plan using buen Camino and Gronze however I'm sure in all my obsessing from now until April this will change! Hoping to not rush ahead and spend more time being present! Love a good hill....well going up anyway not so much the downward journey! Plan to get popes in Leon to assist me with this

Yes, I realised you are not a first time pilgrim. How I would love to do the West Highland Way! Not enough time for me with other things in the diary...
I sent a pm to the forum member and have no doubt she will respond to you...

You need to autocorrect above! popes?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
*Poles

I do enjoy a walk alongside a pope however poles are also necessary

The uphills are all great. Wonderful views.
There are a couple of very steep downhills, but they are not long.
Go slow with poles!

This one is a classic!! But wonderful views.

Tip. The Casa Rural in Vilarino is really nice!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would book Vilariño if you plan to stay there… Otherwise, I think you’ll be fine

Most read last week in this forum