• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tinned fish talk!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recently listened to a podcast - The Intelligence from The Economist. The third story of this episode was about the rise of the popularity tinned fish.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
In the big supermarkets in the UK the tinned fish aisle is mainly Tuna and sardines and is only shelving about four feet wide ... go into a big supermarket in Spain and the tinned fish aisle is about 3 kms long! (well, seems to be - and the variety!!) Wonderful!!!

I particularly like the long tins where the fish inside is already in a light dressing - pull tab opening - have that on Camino with some good bread, now there is a lunch.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the big supermarkets in the UK the tinned fish aisle is mainly Tuna and sardines and is only shelving about four feet wide ... go into a big supermarket in Spain and the tinned fish aisle is about 3 kms long! (well, seems to be - and the variety!!) Wonderful!!!

I particularly like the long tins where the fish inside is already in a light dressing - pull tab opening - have that on Camino with some good bread, now there is a lunch.
In the UK Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference ventresca fillets of tuna and Cantabrian anchovy fillets come in the same shaped oval cans as the Ortiz ones. Both are canned in Spain and represent great value in relation to the quality.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I became a tinned fish convert after walking the Norte last year. Look for the anchovies de Santoña. On our first night on the Camino we were served some in Hondarribia that blew my mind! Large, flavorful filets in lovely olive oil. My understanding is that there are different sizes/grades, and look for “gold series”. Delicious!

I always bought a tin of sardines in olive oil as a backup meal, mashed over fresh bread or even supermarket crispbreads, drizzled with the oil mmmmmmm and would get through perhaps 3 tins on a CF but sometimes a tin would "hide" in the bottom of my pack and make its way home.
Come the Zombie Apocalypse I know I can fall back on a tin from 2001 (a bargain at 155pts), 2012 and 2015 . .

sardinas.jpg

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I always bought a tin of sardines in olive oil as a backup meal, mashed over fresh bread or even supermarket crispbreads, drizzled with the oil mmmmmmm and would get through perhaps 3 tins on a CF but sometimes a tin would "hide" in the bottom of my pack and make its way home.
Come the Zombie Apocalypse I know I can fall back on a tin from 2001 (a bargain at 155pts), 2012 and 2015 . .

View attachment 174394
Very nice memento! I would find it hard not to break in in a fit of nostalgia!

Ha ha, it is funny this topic came up. Yesterday my husband and I made Nicoise salad for lunch, with canned tuna. This made us remember the ensalada mixta in Spain and how it always has tuna and we were saying how much more we like the tuna on the ensalada mixta than the canned tuna we get here in the states. Has anyone else noticed this? Any brands to suggest that might be better than what we've been getting at Trader Joe's and at Costco? Or suggestion of brands to bring back from Spain next time?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In the UK Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference ventresca fillets of tuna and Cantabrian anchovy fillets come in the same shaped oval cans as the Ortiz ones. Both are canned in Spain and represent great value in relation to the quality.
I don’t know where you are in the UK, but in the north Booths stock ‘Ortiz’

I guess you all mean canned tuna (tinned). When I walk Sardines and tuna are a staple for me. I eat the sardines from the tin/can and when I buy those premade salads in the grocery store I always put a tin/can in my salad. makes a good dinner. Without a doubt there is tuna and sardines in Spanish grocery stores every which way!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Back is blank for engraving.
I guess you all mean canned tuna (tinned). When I walk Sardines and tuna are a staple for me. I eat the sardines from the tin/can and when I buy those premade salads in the grocery store I always put a tin/can in my salad. makes a good dinner. Without a doubt there is tuna and sardines in Spanish grocery stores every which way!

Hi, I don't. Tuna is universal, tinned, I was thinking of the varieties of fish you can buy tinned in France and Spain - think the specific ones I was thinking of were Mackerel fillets.

Ha ha, it is funny this topic came up. Yesterday my husband and I made Nicoise salad for lunch, with canned tuna. This made us remember the ensalada mixta in Spain and how it always has tuna and we were saying how much more we like the tuna on the ensalada mixta than the canned tuna we get here in the states. Has anyone else noticed this? Any brands to suggest that might be better than what we've been getting at Trader Joe's and at Costco? Or suggestion of brands to bring back from Spain next time?
See the tins I have posted in this thread — they sell filets of tuna that you are looking for. The price here is shocking, compared to in Spain… but low prices on food in North America are on the backs of so many… so I just eat smaller amounts and begrudge no Spanish worker the cost of the high quality product.

When I arrived at the top of the Monte Santa Lucia albergue in Viana do Castelo,after a long walk from Esposede and a really tiring climb up what seemed like 4 or 500 steps I booked in and only then asked around about a food shop.Iwas told the small shop on the site was now closed😞. But then a young Austrian girl told me she had left half a bag of mixed salad leaves in the fridge and also a bottle of salad dressing and I was welcome to help myself to.Then I remembered the tin of sardines I had bought,on a whim,two days before which were buried in the bottom of my bag.Sat on the balcony,outside the kitchen,with some wonderful views of the harbour and coastline far below I enjoyed one of the most welcome meals of my whole camino.(Only wish it had been mackerel,which I later found and bought)😁.But I was very happy and thankful for this simple meal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Spurred on by this thread I stopped off at lunchtime to pick up a tin of sardines in olive oil and ate them mashed up and topped with a sprinkle of white wine vinegar on a crusty baguette while sitting in the garden under a shade.
It would have been better on a hot day in Spain, shaded by vines and sipping a nicely chilled Albariño of course but it did bring back memories so thanks to @Cristinabina for the post.

And when I was last in SdC, I noticed that there’s a large speciality shop for tinned fish at the Asbastos market.
For years I went to the Abastos in Santiago to purchase all types of canned fish, seafood, etc. at this shop, Las Conservas del Camino. When I first started going, it was a husband and wife operation. The last time I was there, in fall 2021 or 2022, it was just the wife. Her husband had been diagnosed with dementia and was not doing well. I was just there recently in May, and the woman in the carnicería across the aisle told me the shop was closed, that the husband had died, and that the wife had moved to A Coruña.

I am hoping you are talking about another shop, @Perambulating Griffin, but I didn’t find any other place.

There is now a conservaria in the Plaza de Toural, Frinsa. They are connected with a very large cannery and had a variety of products. Definitely not a mom and pop operation with connections to small canneries along the coast, but that was all I found.

Not to take this too far off course, but sardine stores are all over the place in Lisbon now. The “original” go-to place is the Conserveira de Lisboa, close to Praça Comércio. But it’s getting a lot of competition from the chain that has opened up with merry go-rounds, bright flashing lights, a real circus atmosphere, O Mundo Fantastico da Sardinha Portuguesa. Now with a shop in New York City! Prices at the Conserveira are lower, and I’ve been told that they are higher quality. In spite of the fact that I always buy sardines to bring home, they are for gifts and not something I eat myself!

This is the Conserveira

IMG_0965.jpegIMG_0967.jpeg

This is the Mundo Fantastico

IMG_0980.jpeg IMG_0979.jpeg

In spite of the fact that I always buy sardines to bring home, they are for gifts and not something I eat myself!
All of this talk about the superior quality of sardines in Spain has me wondering what is wrong with some of the sardines available in the US?
I personally only purchase these small size sardines(photo) and I think they are wonderful. The label says they are the finest Norwegian Brisling sardines so are not inexpensive at about $2.70 for a 3.75 oz. can.
I particularly like this Mediterranean olive oil style, but there are other sauces available or plain.
IMG_20240712_102922455~2.jpg
Anyone know how they compare to Spain's sardines? I normally choose tuna when in Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anyone know how they compare to Spain's sardines? I normally choose tuna when in Spain.
I have absolutely no idea. I’m sure you can get good quality sardines and other tinned fish in the US, but for me it’s about buying small gifts for people that can’t be easily found in the US. And I’ve never seen Spanish or Portuguese sardines in the US. And it’s a bonus when the cans have beautiful labels on them — silly, I know, but it’s getting harder and harder to find things that Amazon or other big companies have.

You could do a taste test, Chrissy! One of my friends compared the sardines I bought in the factory in Matosinhos with ones in the Conserveira from our last Portugal trip and declared that the ones from Matosinhos were slightly better - less salty and better texture (whatever that means). I would love to go back to the factory in Matosinhos to buy them more, but I’m not sure when that will ever happen!

the ones from Matosinhos were slightly better - less salty and better texture (whatever that means). I would love to go back to the factory in Matosinhos to buy them more

They produce a really good sardine in the Pinhais Cannery in Matasinhos. The whole hands-on production process is amazing and they use the best of everything! Not cheap but great quality!

They produce a really good sardine in the Pinhais Cannery in Matasinhos.
Oh, I tried to resist going off on another tangent on this thread, and I know I’ve said this many times, but the visit to the Pinhais Conserveira is really great. I described the tour I took a few years ago in this thread. HIGHLY recommended if you are walking from Porto and have some extra time when you hit Matosinhos.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh, I tried to resist going off on another tangent on this thread, and I know I’ve said this many times, but the visit to the Pinhais Conserveira is really great. I described the tour I took a few years ago in this thread. HIGHLY recommended if you are walking from Porto and have some extra time when you hit Matosinhos.

Inevitable that this place would eventually come up in any thread about tinned fish! Yes, the tour is fantastic and really informative, even if you're not a sardine fan.. though that is a sin in itself! Anyone with an afternoon to spare in Porto should consider it..

So fish experts I'm curious. Back home in NZ it's easy to buy tuna with various other components - basically tuna in mayonnaise, lemon pepper, herb and garlic, sweet & spicy, etc. Brilliant for sandwiches, salads etc. (There's a couple of options here in Germany too, although sadly not as many as at home)

Whenever tuna comes up in relation to backpacking meals in the USA it's available in similar varieties, but in pouches. Whilst from a recycling point of view I much prefer a tin, a pouch is significantly lighter, and it's a lot easier to carry an empty pouch with me (to the next bin) than a tin.

I enjoy tuna in oil, but is it also available in other options in Spain?
France too if anyone knows .

And is it only in tins, or also in pouches?

'I always bought a tin of sardines in olive oil as a backup meal, mashed over fresh bread . . .'

Mashing sardines is cruelty. It is almost as bad as mashing potatoes.

Even if you have no teeth left you should be able to eat sardines (and potatoes) using your gums only!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not a brand or fish type expert, but tinned fish has saved many a caminos since 2005. The high carb tostadas or even a jamon bocadilla lunch cause my body to crash and burn about 4pm. The solution, almost daily, is a second breakfast and/or even lunch of tinned fish and fresh bread. High protein that time of day keeps my energy until the pilgrim menu. First discovered this solution on LePuy 2007 where decent lunches were far and few between and I got tired of GORP. I always eat trailside since so many people seem offended by the fishy smell in the albergues.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are staying a night there! I will look into the tour!

'I always bought a tin of sardines in olive oil as a backup meal, mashed over fresh bread . . .'

Mashing sardines is cruelty. It is almost as bad as mashing potatoes.

Even if you have no teeth left you should be able to eat sardines (and potatoes) using your gums only!
I do still have most of my teeth - except a couple broken by crusty French bread - my cruel behaviour stems from first eating sardines quayside in San Sebastian as a callow youth. I simply followed the example of the sardine fishermen having breakfast: freshly grilled sardines mashed up on fresh bread with a glass of rough, red wine . . . cuando en españa

As for potatoes, I was thinking of having sausages today, colcannon or champ do you think? ;)

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Veering away from tinned to jars of fish, it was Iberian week at Lidl (UK) last week and I spotted a jar of anchovies. Not having had anchovies on fried eggs for a while I scooped up a jar . . .

anchovies.jpg

It was a struggle to open it this morning but look what it was like inside:

anchovies2.jpg

as a Civil Engineer I have long been in awe of my Mechanical Engineering cousins but what kind of evil genius invents a machine that can line a small jar with tiny fish and yet leave the centre empty?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not having had anchovies on fried eggs for a while I scooped up a jar . . .
Jeff, you have just given me an idea to try sardines on fried eggs, or cut up pieces in an egg scramble.

Tinned is good, but fresh is divine!
I have had lovely looking fish like yours in Santillana del Mar, but I struggled with the bones, so haven't ordered it since. I'm sure at a Michelin star restaurant the bones are removed like in the US. I think there is a knack for removal,but I don't know how to do it.

Last edited:
Jeff, you have just given me an idea to try sardines on fried eggs, or cut up pieces in an egg scramble.

I have had lovely looking fish like yours in Santanilla, but I struggled with the bones, so haven't ordered it since. I'm sure at a Michelin star restaurant the bones are removed like in the US. I think there is a knack for removal,but I don't know how to do it.
You've just reinvented the Victorian dish of "Scotch Woodcock" (thought to be a joke name along the lines of Welsh Rabbit/Rarebit - aka grilled cheese on toast)

Gently heat some anchovies in butter* and they'll kind of dissolve. Set aside for a bit while you're mixing the egg. Bring the pan back to the heat, throw in the egg and scramble. Serve on buttered toast. Cholesterol heavy but devine!

EDIT: *unsalted butter cos the anchovies have enough salt to send your BP off the chart!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have had lovely looking fish like yours in Santanilla, but I struggled with the bones, so haven't ordered it since. I'm sure at a Michelin star restaurant the bones are removed like in the US. I think there is a knack for removal,but I don't know how to do it.

I wouldn't know what the inside of a Michelin star restaurant looks like, but I don't know if they'd present them any differently. Fish cooked and served on the bone, including the head, generally adds to the overall flavour and is very common both in Spain and in Portugal. As for sardines, I quite understand it can be a bit daunting for one brought up on processed or filleted fish, but stripping out the bones is an easy knack to aquire and anyone serving you will happily show you next time. Don't be afraid!!

We are staying a night there! I will look into the tour!
You can book ahead, though there were only four of us when we went. They will take you if you walk in at the last minute, assuming there’s space, but the one issue may be that they won’t have an English-speaking (or Spanish, German, French, or Dutch) guide there for you.

They do particular things to pre packaged sardines here and in a general area of the south.

Mustard
Tomato sauce
Louisiana hot sauce...
FIre isnt a flavor...so last is absolute starvation fare
Size matters and some tins i found hold four or so each..so two cans are in order
while some seem to hold a whole flock of tiny ones.

you ever had a tuna sandwich with bacon?

Size matters and some tins i found hold four or so each..so two cans are in order
while some seem to hold a whole flock of tiny ones.
I much prefer the tiny ones as I don't notice the unappetizing "insides" as much, although tiny are more expensive.
Same with anchovies. I like the tiny ones in a wheel I've had from Costco before.
you ever had a tuna sandwich with bacon?
No, have you? 😝

Camino Chrissy
Yes..its ahhh diffferent!
I decided that if i HAD to choose just one protein forevermore..it would be fish
Bye bye bacon
Red meats and fowl
Any style would do

I am a tinned mackerel convert - cheaper and more nutritious than tuna. Always in olive oil.

But agree, your choice in a Spanish supermarket is going to be much bigger than at home.

For mackerel lovers 👍, it can be difficult to locate it on the shelves of Spanish supermarkets.
The name in Spanish is not "la mackerella" or anything like that.

It is CABALLA (literally: female horse) del SUR.
Southern Mare, so to speak.

front_es.4.400.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Stopped in at a Starbucks in Vancouver today. I don’t care for Starbucks but was with a friend who likes it. A latte or similar at Starbucks costs around €4. That’s a typical price for any coffee...
This has all happened in the past two weeks between finishing the Camino and coming home, so it's still fresh and technically open-ended, but the energy I get from her is negative. This is a very...
Greetings! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances next month and am thinking of doing it with only a flip phone and the Brierly book. I think that walking without a newsfeed, social media...
Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
76 year old male looking to do another Camino around April 2025. Completed CF from SJPP in 2022 and Portuguese from Porto earlier this year. I’ve looked at del Norte, but wanted to keep days...
The affect of a church on each of us is highly subjective and possibly based on many considerations, including; location, architecture, a particular statue, perhaps a memory inspired by an art...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.