• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Three days on any Northern Camino

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I have recently completed the Camino Frances, which I did Solo. My intention was to walk to Santiago, and it was only whilst walking my Camino, that the idea of continuing to Finisterre and Muxia became highlighted. I hatched a plan to return with my Wife at some point, and walk from Santiago to The End of the Earth with her, which I thought has a rather romantic ring to it.
I have therefore booked a flight to Santander next month and have just over 2 weeks to make our way to Santiago, walk to Finisterre and then travel to Madrid to fly back home.
I am allowing for 4 days to walk Santiago to Finisterre, and would like to walk a short section of a Camino, any Camino in between Santander and Santiago, to give my Wife a taste. Of course I could re walk a section of the Frances, and may do that, but was wondering if anyone can suggest a section of one of the other Caminos, that would make a nice 3 day walk.
Staying in Albergue type accomodation is no problem, and we shall be carrying our own luggage.
Thanks in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For your requirements, Camino Lebaniego from San Vicente de la Barquera to the monastery of Santo Toribio de Liebana may be a good choice:
1- It's very near Santander, you can go from Santander to San Vicente (the beggining) in just 1 hour train ride. From Potes (the town at the end) you have direct buses which will leave you again in Santander in 2 hours. From Santander you can easily go to Santiago to continue on to Finisterre
2- It's one of the most beautiful ways, mountainous, with an incredible riverside walk in one of the stages.
3-You can do it in three or four days; as its's barely 70 kms long
4- It's a full Camino, arriving to one of the holy sites in Spain (second only to Santiago de Compostela) , the Monasterio of Santo Toribio in which the biggest piece of the Holy Cross in the world is custodied.
5- In case you're interested you can obtain a Diploma, similar to Santiago's Compostela, when you arrive to the Monasterio of Santo Toribio. The system is the same: you stamp your credential every day, and when you arrive you receive your diploma. That will give your wife a better taste of what the camino is like and also will give you a second Camino completed.
6-It has few but enough (and good) lodging facilities.
7- The only con is that it's a mountainous way, with some hard inclines; but perfectly doable to anyone with a minimum preparation. And the landscape deserves the effort.
You can learn more about that beautiful way in that forum in the section other caminos in Spain or by searching "Camino Lebaniego" or "Camino a Santo Toribio de Liebana" in the web.
Hope that helps and ¡ BUEN CAMINO, PEREGRINO!

Andonius, yes, that does help thank you. I have the Cicerone Norte guide and during a quick scan last night, I noticed that route.
Thanks again, I shall research it more.
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If your objective is to provide your wife with a true ‘sample’ experience, I would consider walking three days south from Ribadeo on the Camino del Norte through Mondonedo (gorgeous) and Vilalba. I would then grab a cab to Arzua where the Norte joins the Frances and walk into Santiago on the CF from there. Huge contrast, all beautiful and believe me, the Norte in that region is spectacular!

For your requirements, Camino Lebaniego from San Vicente de la Barquera to the monastery of Santo Toribio de Liebana may be a good choice:
1- It's very near Santander, you can go from Santander to San Vicente (the beggining) in just 1 hour train ride. From Potes (the town at the end) you have direct buses which will leave you again in Santander in 2 hours. From Santander you can easily go to Santiago to continue on to Finisterre
2- It's one of the most beautiful ways, mountainous, with an incredible riverside walk in one of the stages.
3-You can do it in three or four days; as its's barely 70 kms long
4- It's a full Camino, arriving to one of the holy sites in Spain (second only to Santiago de Compostela) , the Monasterio of Santo Toribio in which the biggest piece of the Holy Cross in the world is custodied.
5- In case you're interested you can obtain a Diploma, similar to Santiago's Compostela, when you arrive to the Monasterio of Santo Toribio. The system is the same: you stamp your credential every day, and when you arrive you receive your diploma. That will give your wife a better taste of what the camino is like and also will give you a second Camino completed.
6-It has few but enough (and good) lodging facilities.
7- The only con is that it's a mountainous way, with some hard inclines; but perfectly doable to anyone with a minimum preparation. And the landscape deserves the effort.
You can learn more about that beautiful way in that forum in the section other caminos in Spain or by searching "Camino Lebaniego" or "Camino a Santo Toribio de Liebana" in the web.
Hope that helps and ¡ BUEN CAMINO, PEREGRINO!
Can and how does a pilgrim book lodging at the Monasterio de Toribio

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Everyone, I want to do my first Camino this October, I will be flying from Calgary, Canada leaving anytime after October 13th. Whenever the best deals are on flights really. I can stay as...
So many camino articles are pretty fluffy. Here is one that interviews some people who definitely know what they are talking about. I got this from a Camino friend in the UK, who said that I...
Would love some suggestions please. Having done the Primitivo, Lebaniego, Vadiniense y San Salvador caminos last year (and walked to Finisterre-Muxia), am looking to return to do some more walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.