• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

These are travel hacks I typically bring. What are some of your travel hacks? I'm targeting the beginning of Fall.

Officer

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago de Compostela
The first step is to take inventory of your belongings. You may already have some of these items at home.

Remember these helpful tips to avoid common pains.
Waterproof:

1. Waterproof Shoes,
  2. Waterproof Socks,
  3. Waterproof Pants,
  4. Waterproof Jacket with a hood.
  5. Fiver finger socks are to be worn underneath waterproof socks. The five-finger socks prevent blisters, skin redness, and sore toes. If you want to wear a cape or poncho, the only advantage would be ventilation. But this is personal. It's up to each individual.
  6. Warm sleeping bag compact - lightweight.
  7. 30L Waterproof Dry Bag Backpack - lightweight.
  8. Waterproof Fanny Pack - to keep your documents.
  9. Waterproof Travel Shoe Bags with Zipper for Packing.
  10. Use Airtag/Smartag your belongs. E.g. Passport wallet with a smart key tag.
  11. Absorbent-Quick Dry Microfiber Towel Ultra Compact—It dries quickly and is compact, making it great for traveling, the gym, yoga, etc.
  12. Compressed Towel Tablets - these compressed towels replace Toilet Paper.
Dry Skin- condition
  1. Sleep Eye Mask for Men/Women, zero eye pressure. 100% Light Blocking.
  2. USB Electric Eye Heating Pad with Temperature Timer Control for Sleep - for eye inflammation.
  3. Ponaris Nasal emolient - for dry nose.
  4. Aquaphor/Niveal y for body and lips.
(optional) Water purification tablets - for occasional use.

Keep Camino Clean - Educational Tips - To remind me
:
  1. Pick up trash
  2. Clean up after yourself
  3. Leave a Bag, Take a Bag: Carry an extra bag to collect litter as I walk and dispose of it at designated locations.
These are the travel hacks that I always bring with me when I'm on the go. What are some of your favorite travel hacks?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I only bring about 2 of your waterproof listing, although I bring most of them in non-waterproof versions. I bring none of the dry-skin treatments nor the water purification tablets.

Do you really plan to bring Waterproof Travel Shoe Bags with Zipper for Packing, on the camino? My travel hack for that is to use the plastic bags that I bring my veggies home from the store in. The bags are waterproof, super lightweight and see-through, so I can quickly identify which pair of shoes is inside (not that I have any more than one pair in my pack).

I'm sorry perhaps my perception of the phrase "travel hacks" is somehow different but IMHO a travel hack is how to score a Business Class plane ticket for the price of Basic Economy or how to get into one of the clubs for free ... not a list of 90% waterproof items...

USB Electric Eye Heating Pad with Temperature Timer Control for Sleep - for eye inflammation
🫨
I gave my superstitions so...no... I am not bringing a heating pad for eye inflammation...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Officer, an interesting approach. I'm not exactly sure that I would apply the term 'Travel Hacks'. Nor are many of your 'tips' something I would typically use when travelling, let alone apply to the Camino. I note that you haven't yet walked a camino, so I'm rather curious as to where you got these 'tips'.

I prefer the KISS principal. For example a ziplock bag to keep my documents dry.
And rather than air tagging everything I'd rather just look after it.

I agree with point 6, and whilst 7 and 11 are individual they're certainly useful.

I disagree with one and two completely, although there are some that swear by water proof footwear / socks. Doesn't exactly qualify as a travel hack though.
As to 3,4, and 5, as you note the choice of rainwear is very individual.

I sincerely hope that the compressed towel tablets are paper, the ones I found online (Amazon) were made from either bamboo or worse, Cotton. Definitely not good for the toilet system, let alone burying in a cathole. Even tissues are not great in the sewer system, and take a lot longer than toilet paper to biodegrade.

I applaud your thought of packing out more rubbish than you pack in, I wish more of us did the same.

Of your first 5 items I would only take 1, the jacket. Of the first 12 I would take only 4.
In my opinion ear plugs more useful than an eye cover, but YMMV.
Your medical items are personal for you - but for a Camino I'd add some first aid/blister treatment and sunscreen. I take only a basic kit, but wouldn't be without it.
I see you haven't included a hat, that's another another item I would include.

Last edited:
@Officer, an interesting approach. I'm not exactly sure that I would apply the term 'Travel Hacks'. Nor are many of your 'tips' something I would typically use when travelling, let alone apply to the Camino. I note that you haven't yet walked a camino, so I'm rather curious as to where you got these 'tips'.

I prefer the KISS principal. For example a ziplock bag to keep my documents dry.
And rather than air tagging everything I'd rather just look after it.

I agree with point 6, and whilst 7 and 11 are individual they're certainly useful.

I disagree with one and two completely, although there are some that swear by water proof footwear / socks. Doesn't exactly qualify as a travel hack though.
As to 3,4, and 5, as you note the choice of rainwear is very individual.

I sincerely hope that the compressed towel tablets are paper, the ones I found online (Amazon) were made from either bamboo or worse, Cotton. Definitely not good for the toilet system, let alone burying in a cathole. Even tissues are not great in the sewer system, and take a lot longer than toilet paper to biodegrade.

I applaud your thought of packing out more rubbish than you pack in, I wish more of us did the same.
These are some travel hacks that have been really helpful for me. They save me time, space, and weight in my backpack. The eye-heated pack and the eye mask help retain moisture during sleep, which is especially important for preventing eye inflammation and discomfort from dry eyes. I've read about the increasing issue of garbage being left on the Camino trails, so I fully support the emphasis on keeping hiking trails clean. All of these items have worked perfectly for me on many trips, and I'm looking forward to using similar travel hacks on the Camino. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
These are some travel hacks that have been really helpful for me. They save me time, space, and weight in my backpack. The eye-heated pack and the eye mask help retain moisture during sleep, which is especially important for preventing eye inflammation and discomfort from dry eyes. I've read about the increasing issue of garbage being left on the Camino trails, so I fully support the emphasis on keeping hiking trails clean. All of these items have worked perfectly for me on many trips, and I'm looking forward to using similar travel hacks on the Camino. Buen Camino!
If it works for you, brilliant.
You won’t need water purifying tablets on a Camino in Spain though…
Buen Camino!

Of your first 5 items I would only take 1, the jacket. Of the first 12 I would take only 4.
In my opinion ear plugs more useful than an eye cover, but YMMV.
Your medical items are personal for you - but for a Camino I'd add some first aid/blister treatment and sunscreen. I take only a basic kit, but wouldn't be without it.
I see you haven't included a hat, that's another another item I would include.
Hi Anamiri,

Yes, I am bringing earplugs and my Mongolian hat. And yes, I use Aquaphor and five-toe socks for the anti-blisters and to avoid friction between the toes. I'll be wearing my used sneakers with arch support due to Plantar fasciitis. I prefer walking over driving. Hahaha, I tried to keep my list short.
The eye masks are for my chronic dry eyes. It's not pleasant to wake up in the middle of the night because of dry eyes. Even though I religiously do an eye dry treatment every day, my eyes are still dry, lol.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If it works for you, brilliant.
You won’t need water purifying tablets on a Camino in Spain though…
Buen Camino!
Hi Domigee,

Indeed, I added the water purifier tablets mostly to help other people. Sometimes, they have health issues, and the post might help others find a solution. For example, I don't use a backpack cover for rain; I just use a lightweight kayak backpack. I also prefer not to carry an umbrella or a poncho, so I wear waterproof clothing and shoes. However, the need for waterproof gear depends on my trips and other factors.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

After my first Camino, I made several adjustments to my packing list for this year in the hope of being more efficient. Here’s a breakdown of what I changed and why: Lighting: Last time, I didn't...
I received a notification from FindPenguins that the app is now completely free - it's no longer a two tiered system with basic free accounts and premium accounts. https://findpenguins.com/
What is most prominent on the trail? I have a pair of three section telescoping poles. They don't fold into thirds but slide longer or shorter. They are great but still quite tall when compressed...
I am staying at Hospedería San Martin Pinario while I volunteer at the Pilgrim’s office in late October to early November. I’m wondering if they provide toiletries such as soap, shampoo, etc. or...
Hi all! Leaving shortly for the frances from SJPP and i would like to check if im doing well packing wise: Clothing incl what i will wear, so total: 1 short sleeve sports T 1 2nd skin layer...
Grateful if anyone can recommend a good phone app which allow us to download the Camino Frances maps and access them offline.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back