• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino The camino provides… also on the via francigena!

irrie

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Portugues 2024 Via Francigena
Yesterday we left Mouthier Haute Pierre early because it would be a long steep stage (23,5 km with 849 height meters) with some difficult parts. So we rose early, had a good breakfast, packed extra water and discovered after a few 100 meters that the via francigena route was closed because of rockslides. There was a diversion but somehow we didn’t find it. We saw another route on our map and decided to take that route.

Wrong decision: the path was steep and very slippery with mud and stones and many trees blocked it. And below was a roaring river. It was really scary. The 2 kilometers took us 2 hours. We survived! When we arrived at the hydroelectric facility we saw the warning of very sudden flooding even in good weather. There were shelters along the route if there was a wash. We were tired, the weather was hot and the sign wasn’t reassuring so we decided to play it safe. We would walk to the nearest busstop at 7 kilometers where we would have to wait 2 hours for the bus.

When we arrived at the busshelter we found a cardboard sign with “Pontalier” on it. I am a 63 year old woman and for the first time in my life I would hitchhike! I stood elegantly with the sign at the road and the first car stopped immediately and guess what: it was the host of our apartment in Mouthier Haute Pierre we left that morning!! How is that possible? He took us to our hotel in Pontalier. The camino provides, also on the via francigena.

I found the detour: https://cms.ffrandonnee.fr/data/CR50/files/Topoguides/modification-trace-gr145.pdf
IMG_5767.jpeg
IMG_5767.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took this detour on the 16th of May last year on a rainy day and it was in places very slippery on a muddy trail above the rocky escarpment where a slip could easily have proved catastrophic, thumbing a lift was a wise move. The walk out of Pontarlier is far more enjoyable.

Bonne route

I went on April 26th the detour, it is quite steep and parts of it where muddy. The way down was slippery too. After the detour, I did the few hundred meters to the Source de la Loue, and then back to the restaurant for food and a beer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Yesterday we left Mouthier Haute Pierre early because it would be a long steep stage (23,5 km with 849 height meters) with some difficult parts. So we rose early, had a good breakfast, packed...
The VF del/nel Sud (other names are avaialble) goes from Rome to Bari (the embarcation point for onward travel to Jerusalem on the Via Egnatia) or on to Santa Maria di Leuca, the tip of the heel...
Today we were really looking forward to the walk in the gorge de l’Orbe (stage Jougne to Orbe) on the Via Francigena in Switserland. After the long steep descent from Ballaigues to the river Orbe...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back