• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The best time to walk the Camino Frances May or September?

Scuba

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2025
Hi all

I imagine this question has been asked already, but I cannot seem to find an answer. When is the best time of the year to walk the Camino Frances? I have heard conflicting opinions;…. May versus September. Some people say it’s better in May because the country side looks green and fresh. Others say May can be cold. Some say September is better, but the country side looks burnt. Others say September is too busy. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as my wife and I are planning to walk our first Camino next year.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You may not be surprised to hear..........
Those are the two busiest months
Great minds (like everyone) think alike.........

Where are you planning to start?

Last edited:
May and September are both very busy. There are regularly reports of big waves of pilgrims at that time. You can still be lucky and get "between" the waves, but do not expect things to be empty either way.

For me it was always a natural decision to walk in May. Lots of public holidays to work with (helps with taking that time off work) and i like the season very much. Great to see how things come to live during the time you walk. There might also be an argument to be made, that infrastructure and people are not as exhausted by tens of thousands of pilgrims as they might be by the end of summer.
Weather can be unpredictable, but yes, i would guess theres a bit of a higher chances of bad weather in May than in September. I can live with that, but if it is important to you it might be worth considering.
And of course i can think that September can also be a wonderful time to walk. Just if i personally had to chose, i would always go in Spring.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As written before: both months are exactly the busiest months of the year. In these weeks every day hundreds of pilgrims start in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port and in Roncesvalles (245 beds) much to our regret we have to send away many pilgrims every day who did not make a reservation. Which of the two choices you take: be prepared and make your reservations from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port through Pamplona.

I've walked it once in May and once in September.
I prefer May.
I prefer Spring to Autumn.

Some of the pros and cons are detailed above from our fellow pilgrims.
I hope to do it again in May-June in 2025.
Either way, it's a great walk., at any time.
Buen Camino.

I've started on the CF in Mar and early May. It was starting to warm up by mid-Jun, and I wouldn't want to have left SJPP any later than the first week. My experience walking later in the year is on the St Olav's Ways in Sweden and Norway - not particularly helpful for you!!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hi all

I imagine this question has been asked already, but I cannot seem to find an answer.
Probably because while there has been a lot of discussion, no consensus answer has emerged. It seems some people are spring people, others are autumnal. Some, who are walking from SJPP prefer to avoid both May and September, finding it too crowded. They may go deeper into the shoulder seasons with April or October, or prefer the summer warmth, or even the solitude of winter.

For me, the best season is whenever you have the opportunity.

Days are longer in May, nearly three hours more daylight in May than in September. Sunrise is around 8 'clock in mid-September, making an early start difficult.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum