This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sweet Dreams

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
It should be boisterous this evening on all the Spanish Caminos. Euro Cup Finals Spain vs England. One curiosity: these are the first times in 70 years that the English sang their anthem, 'God Save the King'! Good luck to all and hopefully appy dreams for you pilgrims there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Can everyone bear rule 2 in mind before posting? The Spanish won’t be singing at all: their anthem doesn’t have any words but it would be a potential breach of rule 2 to explain why.
No breach of rules, explaining just why there might, just maybe, perhaps some will find difficulties sleeping this evening

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This brought back memories of a similar night in Ponferrada in 2008. I was staying in the municipal and sharing a room with several Spanish and German pilgrims. (Spain was playing Germany in the Euro finals) As an Aussie - particuarly 16 years ago- I was not familiar with soccer, so was not prepared for the level of excitement!

In my diary I noted " All the businesses were setting up TV screens and chairs and tables, as the whole town would be out in force to watch the game and to barrack for the Spanish team. Some of the pilgrims had decided to ignore the curfew and watch the game in a bar and try and creep into the albergue after the match.

I went to bed at 9pm when the game was in progress, and when Spain scored a goal the whole town erupted into a cacophony of noise -car horns, yells, trumpets – anything that could add to the din. Someone let off the fire alarm at the refugio, and I asked myself if I should get out of bed, and decided it was probably only the football and took the risk of being burnt alive by snuggling into my bunk. I was the only person in the room- the Spanish and German pilgrims crept in later. "
I remember the festivities went on all through the night as Spain won -one of the highlights of my Camino!

Most read last week in this forum