• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Stomach bug in Leon

Echard

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2024
Hello, I’ll be in Leon tomorrow and need to know what’s the best way to get a stomach bug treated. I’m an American btw. Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, I’ll be in Leon tomorrow and need to know what’s the best way to get a stomach bug treated. I’m an American btw. Thanks!

Sorry to hear. Hope it improves and that you are able to have a private room for some comfort.
My first advise would be a pharmacy. Highly educated staff. They can provide you some medication or can send you to a clinic.
Then it will be best to go to a private clinic seeing they are better equipped dealing with the paperwork/ payments for non EU citizens.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
Well, you’re going to have to make a decision here.

If you want a definitive diagnosis, and you suspect it’s more than a transient digestive issue it’s likely to require a sample which will have to be cultured, reported on and prescribed. A centro de salud or any of the private hospitals will sort that. Expect four days.

Assuming you’re still walking thus far and you’ve just got the sh*ts, go to a farmacia - the bigger the better. There are lots in Leon. The trained staff there will give suitable advice which may include ‘go to a doctor’. Expect five minutes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you are an American and not an EU citizen, a private hospital can bill you. A public one can't. Some people have reported they were sent away from the public Centro de Salud.
One of the few blessings of being a citizen of the EU: Health care is public and cheap and similar to at home. However, I always go with a travel insurance.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
Happy days, I have a similar response when I forget to take my morphine & pregabaline … for me it can be a blessing (apart from the withdrawals & my wife texting me that I’m still an idiot)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Bit of wishful thinking here. We were looking at our options over lunch today. I'd love to retire, but can't unfortunately. But I can work remotely. And ease back my working hours a bit. I'm...
After reading several posts today, I am reminded of two old sayings that were a major part of my adult life: 1. Proper prior planning prevents poor performance. 2. No plan survives initial...
Does anyone know if there’s an actual currency exchange place in St. Jean? I am aware that I can get money out of ATM machines. Thanks in advance!
Just a shout out to all the wonderful people currently out on the trail. This is not easy and you are out here doing it with grace, humor, and compassion! Currently dealing with lots of rain and...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back