• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sticker Mania?

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to count!
I am not a fan of the Camino Francés, I have never walked it and most probabaly never will. (Please don't discuss the pros/cons of this route on this thread). However, despite my strong opinions about the route, I chose to walk from Melide to SdC on the Francés (yes - I know about the Camino Verde from Lugo), in order to complete the Camino Primitivo, about a week ago. While I had walked this section before, I was very surprised at a phenomenon that is new - at least to me. Stickers!! I have not seen this on any other Caminos I have walked. Is this phenomenon only on the final 100 km of the Camino Francés or is this on the rest of the route? Is it on other Caminos? The stickers cropped up in so many places after Melide, even obscurring the name of the town "Salceda," in the second photo, and a stop sign also obscurred in the 3rd photo. The worst, in my opinion was the stickers on the Santiago city sign, in the last photo.

I saw stickers from Taiwan (!), tour agencies, Camino-related stickers, restaurants, etc, and some that made no sense to me whatsoever. Is this some new fad or what is the purpose of this? Do you believe this is a wonderful way to leave your mark on the Camino, or is it yet another form of Camino pollution?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It’s pollution. It’s no different to the local foxes that leave their scat on my patios and steps “I was here and it’s mine”.

“I looked up from my‘phone and there wasn’t any noise so I made some.”

And no it’s not just the Francés, though that’s where you’ll find the highest density. On the Cuckmere Pilgrim Path last month every marker had a sticker “Polly and Pete [date] ”. Unfortunately no contact details because I would really have liked the opportunity to meet “Polly and Pete” and to have had the opportunity to shake them warmly by the throat…

Elle, this is absolutely nuts! I haven't walked that stretch for quite a few years, but have never seen such a thing and no idea where people are getting access to so many different stickers. The only positive thing I can think of is that apparently they are not on the mojones...yet!

2015 and then 2017.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The worst, in my opinion was the stickers on the Santiago city sign, in the last photo.
I like the stickers on the Santiago sign. It makes the sign much more interesting than how it originally was, and to me symbolizes all those who have walked this path before me.

I have seen stickers on all of the Caminos that I've walked, but of course there are a lot more on the Sarria to Santiago stretch of the Francés because of the sheer numbers of pilgrims on this section.

I saw quite a few of these stickers on the Camino Portuguese south of Porto. This photo was taken near Azinhaga.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also like them on the entry sign into SdC... and I have a fridge magnet from SdC that embraces the stickers...
I do think they are dangerous on road signs and I just don't know what people are thinking when they seek to obscure a village sign, speed limit sign, etc etc.
I do like street art, and I don't object to the graffiti in bridge tunnels -- some of it, long ago, was my first entry into the complex politics of "Spain" (and that it wasn't *just* a Basque thing or a Catalan thing). I *like* being brought into confrontation with my own ignorance at street level that way...
But some of this does amount to cluttering up information that it important; it also strikes me as rather ironic that in a world in which people are constantly worried about waste, and excess... that people will engage in the wasteful excess of sticker manufacture and sticker use... It is so *without reasonable purpose*... I am stymied...

I only remember seeing one sticker on my 2019 Camino Catalan but I saw it in many albergues slapped onto walls and refrigerators. I only looked it up now. I was surprised finding that it was advertising the book that @Rebekah Scott translated into English.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum