• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting tomorrow 13th Sep 2024 in SJPDP!

24greendoor

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep 24
Hello all,
Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow!
Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as Logrono), but I’m already wishing I had time for more!
Worrier, planner and over-thinker by nature, so have been fighting off my ‘Will I make it over the mountains’ thoughts, and hoping to just sink into The Way and put one foot in front of the other.

Buen Camino to all!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,
Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow!
Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as Logrono), but I’m already wishing I had time for more!
Worrier, planner and over-thinker by nature, so have been fighting off my ‘Will I make it over the mountains’ thoughts, and hoping to just sink into The Way and put one foot in front of the other.

Buen Camino to all!
Hello! You'll be fine, you'll have a ball.....and while you're putting one foot in front of the other, you'll find you're planning your next Camino adventure.
Buen Camino!

It’s perfectly natural to worry and over-think and to plan well. I think most of us go through that and if this is your first, there’d be something odd if you didn’t feel that way. When I first did the Frances I thought it was damn well impossible! Day one is physically challenging, especially that initial climb, but it’s stunningly beautiful. Take your time and take it all in. Stick close to other pilgrims if you have any doubts at all. But it is well marked and it is doable if you’re relatively fit and practised.
Take a deep breath. Relax. Don’t rush. You’ll be fine.
Buen Camino.

PS: I’ve been back 5 times, to different ones, in 7 years. Enjoy!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Templars has a rendezvous with this date.
Don, thanks for that reminder. A bad day for a Templar in France. A good day to kick a black cat between two hollen trees. A great day for knicker twisting amongst the un-enlightened. I’ve no doubt that the mathematicians amongst us will be able to tell us what day we have now would have been Friday 13th if Gregory hadn’t intervened in 1582. To late for the little brothers I’m sure

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
September 13 2024 would be August 31 2024 - if we still were using the Julian Calendar :)
So September 26 will be the September 13 - if anyone want to commemorate the Tempalars downfall in 1307.
@ Tincatinker - wolframalpha.com is an amazing tool that will find answers to complexe questions.
Lettinggo - the mathematician

Off to look up this reference!
Friday 13th 1307 is the date generally accepted as when Philip IV of France initiated the arrest, and destruction of the principals of the Knights Templar. Trouble is Friday 13th 1307 does not correspond with any Friday 13th in our current calendar. In 1582 Pope Gregory and some of his mates moved the day by ten days (there were riots (“give us back our days”)) but it does confuse the superstitious amongst us. Should we throw salt over our left shoulder; should we always protect our groin when a priest walks passed; is a contract sealed on Friday 13 sealed by the Temple?

My unlucky day is Monday. I know this because no matter what I tried I had to go to work every Monday. The date was irrelevant

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
September 13 2024 would be August 31 2024 - if we still were using the Julian Calendar :)
So September 26 will be the September 13 - if anyone want to commemorate the Tempalars downfall in 1307.
@ Tincatinker - wolframalpha.com is an amazing tool that will find answers to complexe questions.
I was typing the waffle above while your post landed. Thank you. At least now the remaining Templar know when to duck 😋😋

Friday 13th 1307 is the date generally accepted as when Philip IV of France initiated the arrest, and destruction of the principals of the Knights Templar. Trouble is Friday 13th 1307 does not correspond with any Friday 13th in our current calendar. In 1582 Pope Gregory and some of his mates moved the day by ten days (there were riots (“give us back our days”)) but it does confuse the superstitious amongst us. Should we throw salt over our left shoulder; should we always protect our groin when a priest walks passed; is a contract sealed on Friday 13 sealed by the Temple?

My unlucky day is Monday. I know this because no matter what I tried I had to go to work every Monday. The date was irrelevant
Wow, incredibly insightful. I never made the connection between the old and new calendar dating back to 1300 until just now. I seem to remember there is church on the Left Bank in Paris, Saint-Sulpice??, that has some mysterious connection to the Templars and a conspiracy to change the Gregorian calendar.

I will be in Paris on Monday and report back about the specific church and it's history.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Extremely interesting, thank you! I think a podcast or audiobook about the Templar’s may be a good shout for the coming week.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) ✅
Hi all Reason why I am walking Camino because I lost my long time Business partner so I need clear start my life. Not to forget it, I need remember what we accomplished. Stat Saint Jean Pied de...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.